WiFi tether for JellyBean is here.... Confirmed.....

sgs3x0r

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's clues. Added up, it worked.

For anyone having issues, here's my full report on what worked for me:
Samsung Galaxy S3 T-Mobile 4.1.1 ota update as of 11/15/2012
Bricked device 11/20/2012 attempting root via the toolkit after multiple failures using Odin.
Recovered device using full image (755MB) that I got from samsung-updates.com via Odin.

Successfully rooted using Odin with the Sprint labeled .tar.md5
Installed Busybox and SuperUser

Tried 9 wifi tether apps with no success including the same but UNMODIFIED version of the one in the Original Post.

Installed the OP apk and was prompted about 15 times to allow root access.

Successfully connected wifi tether once but could not duplicate.

Read thread and installed SuperSU (I should have done this before any of this anyway)

Reinstalled the modified-wifi-tether apk from the OP

Successfully tethered now. I call this "perm-tether", as I can duplicate it now.

Settings are:
Switch device to Samsung Galaxy s3
That's it.

SuperSU really worked the magic here. I'm not sure if the timing was off before using single su's but superSU approves all the requests and it links right up every time now.

I also have an additional piece to add relative to our phones. I was able to get flash working with a work-around. Fortunately you won't have to do that. I have extracted the working flash apk and verified it on 3 sgs3s and 1 note2. The flash apk i have, will get your flash working again. I will upload it as soon as I can if anyone needs it.

Details of the workaround I used for flash:
After trying literally 9-10 different apks for flash that claimed they'd fix/restore my flash, I gave up.
I decided to go through my old downloads via Play and see if there's any games/apps I didn't realize I miss.
I saw Flash in there from when I had my g2 and I downloaded it via Play. I clicked Update and sure enough, it took.

I immediately got apkextractor so I wouldn't lose the ability to update it (if Google pulls the update files from Play, which i would expect)
After extracting the apk, I sent it out to 8 people. 4 responded that it worked for them. 4 didn't respond at all so I assume it worked for them also.

If you're missing flash but had previously downloaded it, go into your Play downloads under "ALL" and scroll down and update it, enjoy flash again.

Again, if anyone needs that apk let me know and I will get it uploaded.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I hope my over-view helps someone.

PS: I think it's absolute SHIT that any carrier charges for tethering as a service. It's a 'native' feature of the phone's capabilities, not the phone carrier or service. Furthermore, carriers (most) limit the amount of high speed data we are allowed anyway and that should be reason enough for them to allow us to waste it in whatever way we want. Whether that be tethering our entire home to it or downloading apps and loading ads. I don't consider most sgs3 owners the typical "cheap" crowd, and that argument doesn't go far with me. Those of us into modding our phones at our own risk should be granted the "rewards" that come from the risks we take. If we root to tether, let us tether. The carriers are never going to be affected by it because they limit us anyway. Just my opinion on the matter anyway.

Cliffs: get SuperSU before installing this modified version of wifi-tether to increase your chances of success.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
First off...many thanks to Skunkape60...the info and effort is very much appreciated. I just picked up my S3 from Sprint today and upgraded it to 4.1.1 before rooting. The awesome write up by Skunkape60 made it an easy 20 minute task. I am running the stock rom and am pretty content with that...for now. I am not too sure about wiping the phone to get the deodexed version. Am I out of luck with using encryption, the OP's apk, and an odexed stock rom? Any ETA for a more flushed version for odexed stock rom?

Slick instructions regarding the replacement of superuser with supersu. I renamed superuser.apk to <name>.bak and moved it to the root of my external sdcard...for safekeeping, using Root Explorer. Easy peasy.

Once again...thanks to Skunkape60 and everyone else involved here helping a relative newb get going. I was sad to leave the OG EVO behind...but this should be fun!

RickArnett

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Found this thread as I just got my Samsung GS3 on Black Friday and it came installed with Jelly Bean. I've got wifi tether working with the modified APK. I was wondering, do they merge that type of APK back into the original at any point or will we just stick with this modified version?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Found this thread as I just got my Samsung GS3 on Black Friday and it came installed with Jelly Bean. I've got wifi tether working with the modified APK. I was wondering, do they merge that type of APK back into the original at any point or will we just stick with this modified version?

This is a hacked version. Meaning it was modified by someone not associated with the original or official developers. I don't think this particular fix will be merged with the official version. But I haven't a doubt that the dev team for Wifi tether will eventually fix it.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Upon suggestion from the hacks/rom subforum here, the wifi tether v3_3-Pre1 seems to work great for my rooted, stock ROM. Encryption is present and accounted for...and I connect without issue.

Jesica McClure

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this post! I also have Tmobile, just rooted and used the apk in this to get my wifi working - browsed on my Kindle Fire. Made my freaking day! It was nice to have someone report that they have same service provider and phone who got it to work before I went through the fret of it. Nothing like worrying about bricking the new toy.

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I too got stuck the in the repeating "DENY / ACCESS" prompt from SuperUser on my rooted stock Android 4.1.1.

Once I installed Super SU from the Play Store, all is fine. Tested and can now tether my CyanogenMod HP Touchpad to my new GS3! :)

Update: It only works with encryption disabled though. If enabled, my Touchpad keeps going: "Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... ". It never actually connects.

No matter. I enabled Access Control and that adds some security. Prevents everyone in the office from easily connecting.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I too got stuck the in the repeating "DENY / ACCESS" prompt from SuperUser on my rooted stock Android 4.1.1.

Once I installed Super SU from the Play Store, all is fine. Tested and can now tether my CyanogenMod HP Touchpad to my new GS3! :)

Update: It only works with encryption disabled though. If enabled, my Touchpad keeps going: "Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... Connecting... Saved... ". It never actually connects.

No matter. I enabled Access Control and that adds some security. Prevents everyone in the office from easily connecting.

If you go to the thread I linked as a support thread, there is An updated version that fixes the encryption issue.

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted and installed the APK in the OP but neither my laptop or tablet can find my device for wifi connection.

Are there any settings within the application that needs changing?

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what the differences are between the 12/1 version that was posted here and the wifi_tether_v3_3-pre2 that is listed on the official download page?