WiFi Texting

russellrd

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I just moved to a new apartment and have no reception in my room, which is in the basement. I got a Google Voice number + Groove IP for calls. I don't mind having a different number for them because I almost never use the phone. The problem is texting, which I use constantly. I read that GoSMS Pro can be used to send texts via WiFi with my number, but I have not had any success with it. Can anyone recommend an app for WiFi texting that uses my T-Mobile number?

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.... GoSMS Pro works fine for me, strange it doesn't for you.

You can text on Google Voice from what I see here.

You might try using Pinger, but it assigns you a phone number for the app. WhatsApp, Tango, Text Free maybe?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I was unaware GoSMS could text via Wifi because, even as the name implies, it's an SMS messaging application.

Google Voice uses the internet to communicate, not cellular towers as standard SMS messaging does. So if you have a WiFi connection, Google Voice will work just fine.

russellrd

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.... GoSMS Pro works fine for me, strange it doesn't for you.

You are able to use it for WiFi texting?

The problem with Google Voice is that I would have to use the new number for texting, too, which I don't want to do. I thought about porting my number over, but you can't send MMS with GV...

russellrd

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
How did you get GoSMS Pro to use WiFi texting? Did you have to change any settings or anything?

I tried ChompSMS. Looks like it would work, but only with the Chomp credits, which are pretty costly :/

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope, didn't change a thing. Just turned on WiFi and turned off mobile data. Sent just fine.

I don't know of any other services that don't change your phone number, sorry.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Nope, didn't change a thing. Just turned on WiFi and turned off mobile data. Sent just fine.

I'm pretty sure Go SMS uses the cell towers, the same as your phone radio, wifi doesn't work for my NS4G, Gnex or Note 2. That's been my experience anyway.

You can turn off 3G data and still receive texts and phone calls.

Sent via Note II

russellrd

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't send MMS through it, though, so I can't really use it as my primary number. I'd have to give everyone I know my GV phone number. Either way, I'll have to have two numbers; I don't mind doing that for voice calls, since I never really use that, but I don't want to have a different number for SMS and MMS.

EDIT: Also, in cases where I did not have 3G or WiFi, if I used GV primary, I wouldn't have access to my phone for SMS or calls.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You have a Google Voice number... Text from the Google Voice app...

I also have a Nexus 10 which I got before the N4. We had and are still using Google Voice for our primary phone (via obi 110n). When I got the N10, I just went to Google Voice and sent a text with no problem. I also use Tango on the N10-both text and video calls. I'm going to try a text using Google Voice from my phone to see how it works. Sometimes we are in places with wifi but no bars on the phone so the wifi feature is a hand backup. We have TMobile and I thought they said you could make wifi calls with them, but I haven't looked into that yet. Man, I'm waaaay behind here :)

Update: Ok, I just checked and Google Voice was already installed on my phone. Must have been done at setup. Wasn't totally activated though. There are options to make Google Voice the default voice mall feature. I chose not to. There are also call options such as, "Make all calls using Google Voice"......., "Always ask...." etc.. I chose always ask. Now there's an extra step for me to make a call. I thought maybe I could log out, but it said that the app and settings would be removed from the phone, so I left it alone. I did a test call to my wife's N4 and she said there's a slight delay. The call quality was fine though. I did have to choose to use Google Voice. Now I have to learn how to use th N4 for a Google voice text call. Thanks for all these posts.

Update 2: Wifi Texting with Google Voice. Okay this is even easier. Just tap the contact on the text icon. Popup shows app choices as usual. Tap and text type in screen popsup. type and send as usual. The call log should show your Google Voice number on the receiver's phone. Pretty Cool, imo.

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

LOL you're still sending via SMS even though you turned off 3g DATA...

Put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on WiFI (in airplane mode), and try again;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d