Will AT&T or T-Mobile Sell Me a Frontier LTE with no contract/activation?

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was holding out for Verizon Wireless to have the S3 Frontier, but now that we know they won't and the S3 Frontier Bluetooth / Wi-Fi version is sold out everywhere including Best Buy, Amazon, etc., I'm wondering if I can pay what you would call 'full retail' when you buy a phone...i.e. I think that'd be $399 and buy an LTE version from an AT&T or T-Mobile store?
T-Mobile seems to indicate they're back-ordered.....who can tell from AT&T's site...man what a mess of terma dn drivel on their site...Anyway....like to get my hands on the S3, but wouldn't go got $15/month on a different carrier than my phones and 4G hotspot are on.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
TMO doesn't do contracts, unless you're talking about a payment plan for the watch. If you pay the full price up front, it's yours. If you do payments, it's a two-year deal @ $16+/x 24, with tax and shipping up front. If you cut off your service, the remainder of the price is due immediately. But you can pay it off at any time before the 24 months. So you're not locked into a service contract. If you have a TMO service plan, your monthly service charge for the watch is $5 (after the $10/mo. discount), which includes your seprate stand-alone phone number for the watch (LTE). When I called on 11/28 to order mine, I was told they were back-ordered, too. However, it was shipped yesterday, and scheduled delivery (UPS) is Wednesday, 12/7.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I assume no downside to buying the LTE version.... I can turn off the LTE radio right? Should get same battery life as a NON-TECHNICAL watch using BTW and Wi-Fi right?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
So I assume no downside to buying the LTE version.... I can turn off the LTE radio right? Should get same battery life as a NON-TECHNICAL watch using BTW and Wi-Fi right?
Exactly what I did. I turned off all mobile services and I have not had an issue. With mobile services on, I get a "Sim not provisioned" message.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking at the website or going by stores? Although the website says otherwise, some T-Mobile and AT&T stores in my area (South Florida) have them in stock. If you haven't already, call around.

Neither carrier is likely to sell you the device without you agreeing to pay for the first month of service. Which of course you are free to cancel if not on contract.

What makes you think Verizon won't be getting them anytime soon? It hasn't even been a month since launch...

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I read two posts quoting Verizon Wireless saying they're not going to have them. You never know. There's so much misinformation always especially inside Verizon.

The local T-Mobile is holding one for me but it looks like it'll be $399 plus activation plus$15 for first month. Plus am little worried about the battery life even with the 4G radio turned off that it won't be same as the BT and Wi-Fi version. May wait till Best Buy has the non LTE version.

seaham358

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with ATT.. I'm just worried about ATT bloatware on the watch and getting updates on a watch not activated on the ATT system.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will AT&T or T-Mobile Sell Me a Frontier LTE with no contract/activation?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with ATT.. I'm just worried about ATT bloatware on the watch and getting updates on a watch not activated on the ATT system.
Mine had a couple att apps. Deleted through the gear app on my phone no issue.
My updates come through the gear app.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Last year I got the AT&T Gear S2 3G and I used it with Mobile Data turned off. Battery life was very good.

AT&T did throw in their Direct TV app but I could uninstall it.

As for software updates, AT&T was the best when it came to updating firmware, even getting the new firmware before the unlocked models.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and picked mine up at T-Mobile last night....You have to activate and pay an activation fee, but can drop the payment at first month if you choose and just go Bluetooth and Wi-Fi from then on. Was $399, 6% PA tax and activation, think it was ~$440 all in.
Very happy with it....set up was fast....it's such a faster and crisper response than my Moto 360V2 for example...turning the bezel is an awesome interface. Screen is fantastic.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For one, they're available while the BT / Wi-Fi only variant largely is not. But I wanted to try the cellular integration and see if I'll use it much....Having Google Voice and being able to add the watch so it will ring when my cell does (given watch is on T-Mobile and Cell on Verizon) makes it interesting. With T-Mobile, I can re-activate it any time I think I'd like to w/o any contract is appealing too or just run it with no cell...keeps my options open.
If Verizon offers it at some time in the future I'll sell the T-Mo version and get it on VZW with a lower monthly cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07