Will I lose everything on my phone once they replace the LCD?

John Rivera3

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 and recently I took it out of it's case to clean the case and the screen but upon taking it out of the case I dropped it on the floor and the screen completely cracked right down the middle. Everything still worked just with a cracked screen. I ordered a replacement which came in today and I tried replacing it myself using some video tutorial I found from someone on YouTube but I completely messed up the phone to the point where the LCD stopped working.

Now the phone turns on and you can hear the intro samsung music playing but there is nothing on the screen itself. I took it to a repair shop earlier today and they told me I damaged the LCD so it has to be replaced completely. I was just thinking now that they have my phone and are fixing it for Monday I forgot to back everything up. I have all my pictures on there and my music and text messages too. Will I lose all my things when they replace the LCD? Or how does that work? I wasn't using a memory card everything is directly on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A good shop does a factory reset as a first step, no matter what the repair is - so you can't complain that they stole your data. They wiped it even before they saw it. (They boot to recovery and wipe the phone, then boot to the system. Boot to the system first and you'd better know how to file for unemployment. Repair shops hate getting sued - the profit margin is too low to allow that if you're paying good, experienced techs. "We fire anyone who even looks at a customer's data, your Honor, here's a list of the people we fired for that in the last year alone" usually ends the suit.)

Always back up anything important as soon as you can after it gets to the phone. (Backing up an Android Phone) Drop the phone while you're waiting for a bus, just as the bus gets there and ... the phone gets very flat. And very impossible to get data from. Always treat your data as if that's going to happen today.

Remember, the most valuable part of any computer is the data.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I and several others I know have had screens, jacks and buttons replaced, by 3 or 4 different shops between us. None have ever done a factory reset for mechanical repairs. No reason they should for such stuff. If they routinely did, they would probably tick off a lot of customers.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My PC shop fixes those and we do not wipe phones. That is like cutting into a persons head for a foot surgery... totally pointless.

If it's an S4 they can't just replace the LCD unless they are a big factory, the entire assembly usually gets replaced.