Will OP 7T Pro work on Verizon?

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I know this will probably sound like a really stupid question, but I'm hoping the hive mind here can answer this question for me.

I know the 7T Pro is not coming to the US (at least not now), which really bummed me out. But, I've looked at the specs and see that it does support a long list of 4G bands, including Verizon's 13 (see screenshot). So, my admittedly limited knowledge suggests that it should, nevertheless, function on Verizon in the US.

*EDIT* I read in the Tom's Guide review that the 7T series uses the exact same power brick as the 7 series (but relies on software tweaks for the purported charging speed enhancements), so there should be no problem picking up a compatible US charger. [*ORIGINAL TEXT*: I was thinking I could use an electrical outlet adapter (which I have) and/or buy a US charger for the 7T with the US prongs on the brick.]

I know I can just get the 7 Pro, but I'm thinking at this point if I'm going to do it I'd really like to go with the slightly upgraded specs of the 7T Pro.

Am I missing something?

And I do know there are other carrier options, but I am tied to Verizon for a number of reasons that are too boring to get into.

Thanks for any guidance.

p.s. - I just thought of another issue: even if it would work in the US, would there be any issues getting OS and security updates in the US because it's not sold in this market? Hmmmmm ....

OP7TPro-Bands.jpg

Last edited:

cmurgia

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as well, but I'm not sure about the curved screen. May go with the 7T.

On a similar note I've seen rumors that Verizon may start carrying OnePlus soon, I don't have the source right now.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen the rumors that Verizon was going to get the McLaren version of the OP 7T Pro, but I'd prefer to stick with an unlocked phone if possible. I had much better experience with updates on my unlocked Nexus 6P than I ever had on any dedicated Verizon phone.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: I decided to be the guinea pig and ordered the European version of the 7T Pro. It arrived today but, without boring you with the details, after being on the phone with several people at Verizon, they advise that the phone is not recognized in their systems and will not work on their network. I did finally get to a person who understood the situation (including why it should work in the same way as the 7 Pro which was on their list of recognized devices), and she offered to escalate the matter and submit a request to get the 7T Pro added to their list of recognized devices. Fingers crossed.

TL;DR - don't try it ... yet.

I'll keep you all apprised.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Final word from Verizon: they support the 7 Pro and the 7T, but will not support any "international Android devices" including the 7T Pro. Can't speak for other US carriers, but no love from Verizon. :( Hope my little experiment helps others.

Question for me now is, 7T or 7 Pro? having held it in my hands, I love the form factor of the 7 Pro (although it is surprisingly heavy). The 7T is so damn ugly, but probably makes more sense, especially for the price.

Last edited:

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
They have the 7T in T-Mobile stores. Go take a look at it in person, maybe that’ll help you decide.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I actually decided to go with the 7 Pro. I just like the form factor so much better (it is a sexy beast) and, since I virtually never take selfies, I really like that that camera is out of sight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaysonIrwin