Win7 Ciomputer window not showing S4 via USB

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi, When I connect my Galaxy S4 to my PC via a USB, it seems to connect ok, I can see in "Device Manager" and under "networks" sub tab in "computer" window but it won't show up under "Computer" directory. (eg C: drive, D: drive, Samsung, etc) I want to download files so i need it show up to copy files.

Any help thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the USB setting in the phone is MTP (or transfer files - I don't recall when that was changed, but it was a while ago). If it's set to just charge the phone, you won;t see the phone as a drive.

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
I cannot find "USB settings" or "MTP" anywhere. All I have is - setting -> Connections -> More networks -> tethering -> USB tethering ... which doesn't fix my problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Make sure MTP is selected (it might also be called File Transfer).

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for quick response. There is is no "USB" icon, just a beep from computer and S4.

I have the following icons only.

Wi-fi, GPS, Sound, Screen rotation, mobile data, reading mode, sync, Blocking mode, power saving, Multi-window,,
screen mirroring, air gesture, fart control, NFC, air view, bluetooth, hands free mode, smart stay, smart pause,
smart scroll, SBeam, airplane mode .. thats it..

fart control may not be there.. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I meant the USB notification icon. You don't see that when you plug the phone into the computer?

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
nothing .. when I connect the USB cable, just a beep from my computer and a beep from my S4. I know it's connect because when i go into "Device Manager" on my computer, i can see the Samsung S4.i think i can also see it under "networks", as it wants to load Media player when i click the icon. (But i don't use Media player). Wish i could move network connection to "Computer" (drive) connection.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try also installing Samsung Kies on your computer, since that should also include the proper drivers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the frustration. If you're still willing to bear with us -- can you confirm that you've been using Windows Explorer to look at the phone's storage? You mentioned Device Manager, but the way to access the phone's storage is to open Windows Explorer, then select the phone in the device list that shows up there.

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
I checked Device Manager just to see if my computer could see the phone, which it could. Yes, i want it to show up in Windows Explorer, so i can copy files, but it does not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing the PC driver is bad or wrong (which is why I had suggested installing Kies above, since that's supposed to include the correct driver). See the first response in this thread and see if you can get Windows to reinstall the correct driver: https://android.stackexchange.com/q...s4-after-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10 (Even though that's for Windows 10, I think it might still work for Windows 7.)

EDIT: Here's another link specifically for Windows 7: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-7/c274bcd6-0147-48e4-af3b-7d0daf4140a0

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
I've reinstalled the driver a few times, no luck, kies always reinstalls the driver, still no luck.

As I've said, my computer sees the phone in "Device Manager" - Samsung S4 but not in "Windows Explorer" ??? weird.

i give up for now. I have other problems to solve. Thanks anyway.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds