Windows phone users (Lumia 950 XL or others) - Did you migrate to a S9/S9+?

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to start a thread to see if there were any Windows phone users out there that migrated off one and to a new S9 or S9+.
I am on the 3rd day using a S9 plus device (SM-G965U1), coming from my 950 XL. I am not sure if my Lumia will lay unused now or what will happen. I am slowly able to adapt in how use the S9+ in its slight differences and interstingly its similarities. I have used Samsung off and on since the S6 Edge Plus but never daily as my main mobile device needed. I was using Windows phones though primariy for the last 3 years or so...I had to start moving off my Lumia 950 XL due to several factors. Some of which are listed below. Phone call stability and sms/mms for me while on T-Mobile became finicky. Battery life is normally good but web browsing was always a reason to think otherwise, chewing through the battery while web pages are open. The UX/UI of Windows 10 mobile though is so unique natural and simplistic to me that I have attempted to make any aspect of the S9+ mimic it. Yet it will never match that which I grew to appreciate. Despite this it is just Android and like we know "different strokes for different folks".

Anyway chime in too if you'd like.

I am impressed by the S9 Plus. Simply put, it for me could and just might replace my 950 XL. I guess I am a bit undecided, but am approaching that threshold of breaking the indecisiveness soon.

This device checks a lot of boxes for almost any user...
The screen is more than adequate and can be calibrated in many ways - Check
The Sound quality off the device and 3.5mm jack are impressive - Check
The build quality is excellent - Check
Cellular/MMS/SMS work well for me (T-mobile) with no issues - Check
Software manageability and tweaking from my perspective is great, with lots of features baked in or able to be added through the Android ecosystem - Check
Microsoft Services work great on it (Groove, Edge, Exchange etc.) - Check
The camera is Samsung's best to date on a mobile phone, for me I have no real complaints with it. It works and takes great shots for my type of usage. The Lumia 950 XL is a stellar camera phone hands down, but I feel comfortable enough with the S9 Plus so... - Check
Battery life is really good on it. I have found that with the right configuration or enough services/apps disabled that you are not using, it can be even better. - Check

Has anyone needed to move from a Windows phone/Windows 10 Mobile and chose the S9 or S9 plus? Share your thoughts if you would like.

Last edited:

Ubev

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I made the switch from Windows to Android, though not the s9. It was difficult at first but now, I'm enjoying every bit of it

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Making a permanent switch from W10m to Android is getting easier than ever now features on the Lumia are getting more dated and as support for apps and the OS gets more diluted everyday. Microsofts growing involvement on Android is a big help too and things like Microsoft Launcher and Edge browser etc make it feel a lot less alien

jes1888

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
I made the jump last year to an s8+ from a elite x3, won't go back now... Android has stuff that I hate and I'm not familiar with, but still I'm happy with my choice.

martyn30162

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
retired my Lumia 950 last week got myself a s9 love it .Should have come to android ages ago after suffering w10 mobile for so long.

WretchedM3

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Last Windows phone was an Idol 4S and now I am using the S9+. I miss tiles the most and of course Microsoft integration. I am starting to get used to dex vs continuum even though dex doesn't seem as well implemented yet.

Too many other little things to mention but it has been a good phone. I am not a stranger to android so I am sure that helped.