Wish List

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
After two weeks what I've noticed.

Need to hit "okay" when unplugged from power.

Can go to sleep while looking at, reading. Screen starts to dim real quickly.

Tap on screen does not bring it out of sleep. Have to press power Or if if locked use fingerprint reader which unlicks, no extra steps.

Badges on apps? Not happening.

Nothing major but could improve with updates, especially stay awake with facial recognition.

There is a lengthy facial recognition feature but bailed when it got to be like fingerprint for face. Retinal ID?

There really isn't anything missing that's major drawback.

Got any to add or petpeeves?

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Never realised need to hit the "Okay" button to unplug from power. I just unplug it

I agree with the screen dimming when reading. Had Samsung and they have a reading mode to detect when your eyes are looking at the screen to prevent it from dimming. Probably only way to have that on the phone is a hardware iris scanner

Yes, Tap on screen would be benefical, but I've read that all Huawei phones never had that feature. Something hopefully they will include in the next update.

I get badges on my icons like Instagram, Textra, email, etc. Check your settings for badges

Another thing I would add is automatically enter Power Saving Mode when battery life reaches a certain %. Notification does pop up, which I guess is doable, but I like how my iphone would automatically enter saving mode after 20%

Scrolling home screen, webpages, etc using the fingerprint scanner.

Overall, I am very pleased with this phone.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I have to hit OKAY it the screen and phone is unavailable.

Phone and Textra had badges, but not Gmail. Most of the apps I don't want more than status bar notifications.

Huawei Email: it will not accept my Gmail password, which of course Google is very much OK with.

All my phones, Samsung S5 and 6, iPhones, BB DTEK60 would stay on while reading and non had iris recognition.

It does seem like very different builds.

Unlike with a computer there is no easy restore.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Screenshot of battery info when I remove power
ad2aae42c33ed33923f170d71c57b8d7.jpg

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Amazon bought
USA MHA-L29
Build MHA-L29C567B138
DEC 1 security patch level
DEC 10 2016 kernel version 4.1.18
Android 7.0

Kinda thought we have different devices!

Apple would ship Mac's with a new OS build every week or two until there was a public version that brought everyone to same release version.

Almost two months coming up without a security update. I fully expected when first turned it on there would software update.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I do not get that when I charge mine. I have the USA version. What version do you have?

Same here, I bought mine off amazon and I've never seen this.

Amazon bought
USA MHA-L29
Build MHA-L29C567B138
DEC 1 security patch level
DEC 10 2016 kernel version 4.1.18
Android 7.0

Exactly the same. I browsed around the settings, but I don't really see anything that would make that screen pop up.

I do miss the screen on/off tapping. My LG had it. It was pretty convenient.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Does seem strange but hate taking time to wipe it clean.

One other bug, trying to setup Huawei ID and verification, there is a pull down list of countries but not USA to then enter phone # after prefix for country. Can't.

Everything shows US unit and not international.

One fly in ointment is I kept sim in old phone so I could get SMS text until this one was up and running. Can't believe that caused the oddities I'm seeing.

And if I don't acknowledge this battery disconnected and do it again they all have to be okay'd anyway.

I tested all my chargers and cables to learn that only Huawei one provided super charging (never even noticed the text until now on lock screen lasts for 3 seconds). Not even my Apple cables and USB-C unit.

I was going to wait for update to N or EMUI to see if it changes...

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Wipe has gotten rid of the charger dusconnecyed box. Weird.

Huawei just not like my Google account and refused to accept so used a backup... Happens with their Email app and their support account.

Risley88

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I got the same pop up message as Gayle Lynn. I had a host of other issues too....

1. Email push issues. No accounts/email apps would push new emails regardless of settings.
2. No visual voicemail. I installed the AT&T VVM app and it was AWFUL!!.
3. Some app notifications would make no sound at all even though notification sound was "ON".
4. Ringtone and text volume was not the loudest even though I had all volumes turned to "MAX"
5. Notification LED light nowhere close to big enough or bright enough.
6. Incoming calls would show different call screens, meaning the UI design of the red/green icons to answer or decline calls sometimes looked totally different, very strange. This occurred on maybe half of the calls I got where the difference of the incoming call screen layout was so different that I missed the call because I couldn't figure out quick enough how to answer the Mate 9....Not good.
7. Unread badges on app icons (I think that's what they are called), the little red circle showing the missed or new messages in any given app. Some apps worked, some didn't.

So needless to say I missed A LOT of emails, phone calls, texts, and voicemails with this phone.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised reinstall smoothed out my issues.

I had read on this blog that the Nova Prime launcher may not work perfectly. I wanted it to be EMUI only for now. Also not huge fan of Nova or launchers.

But. It adds an 'extension'? that enables badge notifications for apps. And may be that 7.0 N requires developers to add and use new API if at all.

Two things to try anyway. Because for me it out is an excellent phone. iOS does the app notifications in way some may prefer.

Messages, phone calls though and any of the half dozen standard apps should notify and work. Even 29 second ring on a phone call, easy to slide to answer, or use finger sensor will also pick up the call.

Hope find solution.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I would love if they took Axon 7's approach for screenshots. With Axon, a three finger pinch captures the screen and you can edit the size of it right after.

With the Mate 9, you can knuckle the screen shot or use volume down+power, but if you want to edit it, crop or mark it, you need to go into gallery and pull the screenshot up. Also, on the Mate 9, when you capture a screenshot, it's hard to tell if it worked since there's no indication of it except the itty bitty click sound that is hard to hear.

Also, with a phone this size, I wouldn't mind a stylus.

AlwaysOn Screen display for clock and notifications would be nice too.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Quick actions drop down menu: Screenshot

You can access drop down by either using finger reader, or use 4th home widget style do it is there at bottom screen.
Both let you edit and even scrolling screenshot.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
After using the mate 9 for two weeks and reading these comments it appears EMUI has come along way but still needs a little tweaking, still usable though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts