worse camera ever..

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Its not the worse camera ever, it just needs a software fix for the auto focus. I have had some really nice pics but the timing was perfect. Once auto focus is fixed it will be fine.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm using my thunderbolt. Camera is great. I've been keeping up on this thread and all the complaints don't really scare me. My bionic should be here next week or maybe today if I'm lucky. So I'll be testing the camera as well. I'm sure it'll be fine. Just don't forget. Its a cell phone camera.

Hope you don't be too disappointed. The TB has an awesome camera for a smartphone. The quality of pictures I took with my Bionic didn't even compare to the quality of pics my friend got with their TB.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
My sentiments exactly. It's a cellphone camera, not a Nikon D700. A little thought process into what you want and it can deliver within reason. Some just LIKE complaining (and exaggerating). I would like to see an improved interface, though (and where is the white balance, or am I overlooking something?).

You might check out the post bionic pictures thread. The camera is very capable for a cell phone. Now the UI well that IS another matter. :D

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have discovered some GOOD things about the camera, garnered from various comments from AC members and Moto's forums ...

In the stock camera options:
Check store on SD card (not internal storage)
Mode: Choose the "hand" - steady
Move the brightness slider SLIGHTLY to the right (brighter)
Use auto flash when you want flash but turn it off when there's enough light (flash tends to wash out colors)

AND most important (that I had to learn the hard way) ... Aim at your subject and wait ... until the white corner square turns into a full square and then turns green. At this point, the camera has focused and adjusted the exposure. THEN, click. Takes more time than it should, but at least it works. Experiment with other modes besides "auto," which seems to be a culprit.

Of course, most already know you can move the little box to whatever you want the camera to center its focus/exposure, but still be patient, wait till green, click.

I got some pretty impressive results from this combination. No 3rd party apps, either (I uninstalled Vignette, which didn't seem to make a lot of difference despite all the available options).

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
if you've got a good phone. there really is no need for a nikon. depending on your needs though.

my evo had a really good camera. i saw absolutely no need for a seperate camera.
course. it's hard to take pics as y our driving down the road. be nice to able to just point and shoot with one hand.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
$5 isn't much for something that is of great use... and the program is very professional. I can count on one hand how many things I've purchased and this is one.

Ppl saying camera zoom fx working great of course is $5 lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
$5 isn't much for something that is of great use... and the program is very professional. I can count on one hand how many things I've purchased and this is one.

Just bought it. Thanks for the tip. Still trying to figure out how to mute the shutter sound. It's disabled in both Zoom FX and the native camera app, but unlike the native app, Zoom FX still makes noise. :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I like the sound but I tried to turn it off to see what would happen and it still makes it. If you click on more information under the setting it explains that on some phones they don't have control over it.

There is a support email in the settings you can send a request to.

pengler

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree it is not the best camera I have seen on a phone, but on the other hand it is a phone. That is why I bought a nikon d3000 for.:p

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
This topic hasnt been beat to death.......

We need a forum section just for people to complain about the camera. Its not the best camera, but if you use it correctly its also not the worst cellphone camera on the market.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I think most people forget what cellphone cameras USED to be. You've got an 8mp camera folks. Not a 1.3mp that used to be on a top of the line "camera phone"

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Another mention for camera zoom fx. Takes great photos. I haven't tried night shots yet, definitely will try that later.

Otherwise, it's a very nice alternative to the blur camera app. Definitely worth 5 dollars. Only thing is it doesn't do video but at least you still have the "camcorder".

Also, the fact that I can take good pictures with another app tells me that the blur camera processing software needs to be enhanced/updated/fixed. It's definitely capable.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Look wt the bright side (get it like you have dark pics) My tbolt has a fantastic camera....and no bsod....but I'd still prefer a bionic for more reasons than i'll bore u with.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Actually it does video - hit the phone settings key (far left) and it has a video mode.

I got an email back from the developer that they are going to include brightness and contrast controls which should make it pretty perfect.

Another mention for camera zoom fx. Takes great photos. I haven't tried night shots yet, definitely will try that later.

Otherwise, it's a very nice alternative to the blur camera app. Definitely worth 5 dollars. Only thing is it doesn't do video but at least you still have the "camcorder".

Also, the fact that I can take good pictures with another app tells me that the blur camera processing software needs to be enhanced/updated/fixed. It's definitely capable.