Worth The Upgrade?... Z Fold 4 to Z Fold 5

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
The Pixel style form factor would definitely make me consider a Z Fold 6... they also need an internal S-Pen that works on the outer screen.

With Samsungs snail paced "inovation" though, we will be looking at the Z Fold 8 at the minimum before all 3 of those things are realised.
I couldn't agree more! Derek Lee's editorial makes total sense. Why did Samsung make such small iterative changes to this series where they COULD have pulled more rabbits out of the hat. Like s-pen silo, wider aspect ratio, better cameras, crease reduction,and outer screen spen use!?!?!?

Last edited:

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Probably not but it is the most often requested change that is made on all the forums that I visit. They will have to think long and hard about it next year after Google has got over its teething problems with the Pixel Fold. Indications are that OnePlus are going with the Samsung tall & thin on their upcoming OnePlus Open (nee V Fold). It has been stated that Samsung want us to use their Fold phones, primarily, open. My view is that I want to be able to use it open or closed and whilst I have adapted to Samsung's tall & thin, I would prefer the Google approach. Only time will tell.
I think the One Plus Open will have a wider aspect ratio closer to 16:9. Some of the renders online have been showing this. Samsung really nailed build quality 5/5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
If that is the case, then Samsung might like to re-think their future screen size.

It's no good them adopting the Apple approach by telling us what we should want and use.
Yes I truly hope OnePlus pushes it this way and gets others towards shorter front screen

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
That would be my biggest complaint... using that front screen KeyBoard is a PITA!!!
Right now I can use the Pixel Fold front screen comfortably and these phones with high thin ratios need more two handed usage ...plus the errors in typing are frequent from my experience..

Reactions: ClintRo

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The Pixel style form factor would definitely make me consider a Z Fold 6... they also need an internal S-Pen that works on the outer screen.

With Samsungs snail paced "inovation" though, we will be looking at the Z Fold 8 at the minimum before all 3 of those things are realised.
I believe to have S pen functionality on the front there needs to be an extra layer to the screen, making the phone thicker. The embedded S Pen would need room. That means taking something away or making the phone wider and thicker. Maybe future technology will make the batteries physically smaller but still have the same capacity, and you can fit more in it.

That would also be a very small Spen if it was the same dimensions as the pixel fold.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! Derek Lee's editorial makes total sense. Why did Samsung make such small iterative changes to this series where they COULD have pulled more rabbits out of the hat. Like s-pen silo, wider aspect ratio, better cameras, crease reduction,and outer screen spen use!?!?!?
$2100 dollar phone? Smaller battery to fit everything in there? Thicker phone to fit everything and have the extra layer on the front screen for SPen to work?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I believe to have S pen functionality on the front there needs to be an extra layer to the screen, making the phone thicker. The embedded S Pen would need room. That means taking something away or making the phone wider and thicker. Maybe future technology will make the batteries physically smaller but still have the same capacity, and you can fit more in it.

That would also be a very small Spen if it was the same dimensions as the pixel fold.
I'm well aware of the engineering challenges involved,but that's something for the R&D department of the multi billion dollar company to figure out. I'm just shooting the shirt about what they would need to do to peak my interest.

Here's the thing, the "bad phone that turns into an OK small tablet" gimmick has never really appealed to me... I can't get past the fact that Samsung release a better device 6 months earlier for 2 thirds the price.

These are just my feels on the Fold.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm well aware of the engineering challenges involved,but that's something for the R&D department of the multi billion dollar company to figure out. I'm just shooting the shirt about what they would need to do to peak my interest.

Here's the thing, the "bad phone that turns into an OK small tablet" gimmick has never really appealed to me... I can't get past the fact that Samsung release a better device 6 months earlier for 2 thirds the price.

These are just my feels on the Fold.
This is my first fold and I am loving it. I use it open most of the time so the narrower front screen doesn't bother me. That is a secondary screen. You buy this phone for the inner screen in my opinion. I had the S23 Ultra and thought i needed to have those "great" cameras. Yeah i took quite a few pictures the first couple weeks, but then it was back to using the camera here and there. It all comes down to what you want in a phone. Nothing wrong with the S23 Ultra. great phone, but i am LOVING the inner screen of the Fold. None of the other foldables even have a S pen and the ingenious software behind it.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people want outer screen same as a candy bar phone
What's the point , then u will hardly use the big inner screen
Then outer screen will be your main screen, whole purpose is to make the inner foldable your main screen
I love the one hand use of Z fold 5 outer scree n
U can always use swipe to type if u have big fingers
If u see reviews z fold scales 10/10 on apps
While pixel fold only 4/10
Yes samsung can go little wider with Fold 6
But no point going same as csndy bar phone

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Then outer screen will be your main screen, whole purpose is to make the inner foldable your main screen
Despite my comment above, I actually agree with you. People buying a Pixel Fold for the outer screen should just buy a 7a and save themselves a grand and a half.

To be honest, I've never used a fold, so I may actually be totally fine with the outer screen... but from my flip use, I do know that you DO need a workable outer screen, because you just don't have the ability to unfold it every time you need to do something, and that is an even bigger issue on something so large. Everyone is different, though. And as I said, I could be wrong... I thought the S-Pen was stupid until I got one and found it intermittantly useful... but £1800 is just too much money for something I don't think I'll like when I've already got something better in every way but screen size.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site

Pixel Fold is not like a candy bar phone ...it's a small phone the size of my iPhone 12 Pro when folded and so nice to use when not open ..it's truly refreshing and you would need to use it daily to appreciate it ..I do love everything else about the Fold 5 thou and I know it's all about preference..but I would bet on it that a Galaxy Fold with it's hardware and Pixel form factor would be unmatched ....

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I am probably the minority and agreeing with you on this. The size of the Z fold and the one hand use has grown on me (I initially didnt care for it). I often tell people its like having a galaxy mini which can convert into a tablet. The front screen does get some getting use to in regards to texting, but as weird as it may sound, I may struggle with a larger front display on any fold.

Im truly enjoying my Fold 5. Is it worth changing from a Fold 4.......... Maybe....if its in the "budget" and you like the added battery life, better cameras, build, then yes.......If not, then the Z4 is a GREAT choice too....

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Despite my comment above, I actually agree with you. People buying a Pixel Fold for the outer screen should just buy a 7a and save themselves a grand and a half.

To be honest, I've never used a fold, so I may actually be totally fine with the outer screen... but from my flip use, I do know that you DO need a workable outer screen, because you just don't have the ability to unfold it every time you need to do something, and that is an even bigger issue on something so large. Everyone is different, though. And as I said, I could be wrong... I thought the S-Pen was stupid until I got one and found it intermittantly useful... but £1800 is just too much money for something I don't think I'll like when I've already got something better in every way but screen size.
£1800 is definitely too much money if you are budget aware. But considering productivity point of view, I will definitely recommend it (If you can stay with it for few years ;)). I still carry my ZF3 (First time didn't upgrade in 2 years) and complete most of my tasks on the go (work and personal). Samsung software is unmatched when it comes to multi-tasking and if you can take advantage of all the functionality you can save lot of screen time and shuffling between devices and spend more quality time with your folks. I would prefer a slight wider front screen with Spen support (not as wide as pixel fold as I want it one handed) and that will make this awesome. I will wait for next iteration for that improvement and until then ZF3 delivers. :)

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Hard to type on the narrow screen! Wider screen form factor like the pixel fold would be amazing !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter