Would anyone know when the AW 2.0 will arrive at the LG Urbane 2 edition?

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
No, we all are wondering this. One forum member commented that it may be sometime in April based on a conversation with an LG tech. Nothing official though.

RyanJBuell

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
This is so messed up. The watch that LG and Google built and tested the 2.0 platform for Android Wear on is going to be among the last to actually get the update. Nice job Google and LG. In the meantime, I went and bought a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier and am happy with it.

Question is, why? And the answer is money. It's still a niche purchase and the market for the Android Wear 2.0 software is in higher demand than the new watches themselves. If everybody with a compatable watch automatically got the new update...LG would have a lot less sales on their new watches.

There was a lot of R&D money that went into developing the Urbane 2nd Edition. Now they are reaping the benefits of that investment through selling the Sport Watch and Style Watch. The Sport Watch was undoubtedly less expensive to manufacture compared to the Urbane 2nd Edition.

Compare Urbane 2nd Edition specs with Sport Watch

LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE vs. LG Watch Sport - GSMArena.com

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If everybody with a compatable watch automatically got the new update...LG would have a lot less sales on their new watches.
That is only true in instances where U2 owners bought the new watch instead of waiting for the update. I think very few Sport and Style buyers are U2 owners. Updating the U2 will not have a significant impact on sales.

Folks who are buying the new LG watches are desperate to get their hands on AW 2, regardless of what device it's on. The U2 is a better design, and most owners wouldn't trade it for anything that's currently on the market.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Folks who are buying the new LG watches are desperate to get their hands on AW 2, regardless of what device it's on. The U2 is a better design, and most owners wouldn't trade it for anything that's currently on the market.

I agree in that I love my LGU2. This whole two plus month delay since 2.0 announcement has aggravated me with google and LG a bit. Don't announce an update then not provide the release or some details for LGU2 owners. Not sure that I'll buy another LG product for a while. I did pickup a Gear S3 Frontier since then and must say that it is a very nice watch and Samsung pay works great. I use it more than I thought I would. A new consideration for me with smartwatch capabilities. S3 is now my daily driver. If only Tizen had the AI of Google Assistant, Sammy would have the better product in my opinion.

ScottyKnox

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree, my LGU2 has been great, but waiting this long on the 2.0 update after it was one of the test platforms is unacceptable.

I also have the Gear S3 Frontier and it is now my daily driver. Samsung Pay with the MST technology is great. At many retailers they say oh that wont work, and a couple seconds later my transaction is processing.

I will upgrade when we finally get it, but it is going to be hard to win me back.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, my LGU2 has been great, but waiting this long on the 2.0 update after it was one of the test platforms is unacceptable.
When I buy an electronic device, it's based on what it can do today. If I'm not ok with it's current value proposition, I don't buy it. I assume it will never be upgraded. I may be pleased to receive an update, but if it doesn't happen I'm not disappointed.

Smartwatches are in the infancy phase of the development cycle, it's unrealistic to expect a model to be relevant 18 months past its release date. That the price we pay as early adopters.

When I bought my Gear S3 in December, I thought it was the best smartwatch on the market. But I think it will be dethroned sometime in the upcoming months. I don't expect it will get Bixby or Tizen 3. If I want the new features, I'll have to buy the S4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennygreene