Would you be OK if google removed certain features in order to get more quality apps and games

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I own both android phone ( blackberry priv) and ipad. It is rather clear to me that ios has better selection of apps and especially games. Some say this is due to the fact that there are just too many android devices out there with too many specs and it is hard to support them all but I think it is simply do to piracy.

So say if google removed possibility of installing apps from "other sources" and removing rooting (just look at priv) piracy on android phones would be gone over night.

Would you not say that this would encourage many ios only developers releasing apps on android ?

Personally I have no problem with that. I think this would make my phone even more secure

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it would be gone outright. There are still ways to pirate even on iOS. There is no 100% way to stop it.

While I get where you're going.. And I an very strong believer of buy your apps and support the dev.. I wouldn't want Google to take that away. The reason I don't is because that hurts actual legit and upcoming apps that may not be in the store yet and also other legit apps like the Amazon app store.

Also I don't think it would be more secure. If you don't have the option on then it will restrict to only play store installs. You'd have to purposely turn on the toggle, accept the warning prompt for hitting the toggle (to prevent accidental turn on), and then choose an APK to install. I don't see how that's a flaw when you have to do 3 things to open that gate.. And it's off by default.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
but I think it is simply do to piracy
I'm not inclined to agree. A lot goes into an app; screen resolution, API levels, etc. The processor is figured in there somewhere.

piracy on android phones would be gone over night.
Like Almeuit said, this won't stop pirated apps from happening. This would also be among the first steps toward a closed ecosystem. And right there, I will say goodbye to smartphones.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not inclined to agree. A lot goes into an app; screen resolution, API levels, etc. The processor is figured in there somewhere.

Like Almeuit said, this won't stop pirated apps from happening. This would also be among the first steps toward a closed ecosystem. And right there, I will say goodbye to smartphones.
I think it would make piracy much more difficult. Now it is just too easy isn't?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it would make piracy much more difficult. Now it is just too easy isn't?

But again.. That doesn't fully stop it. So take away a option that is used in legit apps? Especially when Android is meant to be a more open OS compared to iOS?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, if it's a pirated app, it's most likely not on Play. You would then need to go through all the steps Almeuit laid out.

You'd have to purposely turn on the toggle, accept the warning prompt for hitting the toggle (to prevent accidental turn on), and then choose an APK to install. I don't see how that's a flaw when you have to do 3 things to open that gate.. And it's off by default.

The core idea is this: you are suggesting a closed OS. If Android would have been closed from the word go, we would not have the SPen, the Edge screen, direct replies from the notification shade (this may have come from iOS, but it was in custom ROMs before Google adopted it too), etc..

Even if you want the OS to stay open, someone will find a way to bypass the security Google has in place and make a pirated app work.

The only fool proof way for piracy to stop is for people to not download that stuff.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
But again.. That doesn't fully stop it. So take away a option that is used in legit apps? Especially when Android is meant to be a more open OS compared to iOS?
There is piracy on ios as well. Just much less. I mean I see your point. That is why we have discussion.

Myself I would rather see more apps. I do pay for them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is piracy on ios as well. Just much less. I mean I see your point. That is why we have discussion.

Myself I would rather see more apps. I do pay for them.

To be honest.. I haven't run into an app that's on my iPad and not on my Android so I guess that's why I'm not seeing the big issue.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just much less.

I get that some of it is the fact that iOS is pretty closed off. I am also curious if some of it is what is required to develop for Apple: $99/year developer fee, Apple computers to compile the app, and an iPhone to test it. That's a lot of money to invest in.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
To be honest.. I haven't run into an app that's on my iPad and not on my Android so I guess that's why I'm not seeing the big issue.
It seems to me that there are many games which are not available for Android but which are for available for ios. Also it seems to me that games come out first for ios and then for Android even though there are so many more android devices out there. Piracy must be big factor imo.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that there are many games which are not available for Android but which are for available for ios. Also it seems to me that games come out first for ios and then for Android even though there are so many more android devices out there. Piracy must be big factor imo.

Piracy may be a factor but I believe coding for one OS.. And having it work on phones and Tablets.. That is quicker to get a return on investment.

I just don't see removing a feature like this preventing that much to make a difference. The security thing I also just don't agree on since it's off by default and takes a few user steps to change that.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Piracy has about MAYBE a 1% factor when it comes to releasing an app for Android. It's all about what the developer wants to release it for. I am sure Piracy is the last thing on their mind. Piracy is just a factor of doing business now and that is all. Trying to restrict Android just so you can't install an app outside of the Play Store is not going to stop Piracy at all. iOS can be jail broken and other apps installed outside of iTunes so you can see restricting does nothing to stop it

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe coding for one OS.. And having it work on phones and Tablets

Highly inclined to agree on this point.

Edit: Let's look at it this way: if you want to target Samsung's top devices, you have the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, S7, S7 edge, and the Note 5. S6/S7 has a 5.1" screen, S6E+/N5 had a 5.7, and S7 Edge had a 5.5. That's a lot of coding for 3 different screen sizes (not sure if dpi plays a role in coding). 6 devices in 3 lines. That is where Apple can have an advantage: there is very little fragmentation.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering why would google have "installing from other sources" option in Android in first place ?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Piracy may be a factor but I believe coding for one OS.. And having it work on phones and Tablets.. That is quicker to get a return on investment.

I just don't see removing a feature like this preventing that much to make a difference. The security thing I also just don't agree on since it's off by default and takes a few user steps to change that.
I am talking about major titles not coming to android. I mean I am not asking why windows phone or blackberry (hate to say it) does not get major apps. I am talking android with literally hundreds of millions of devices out there. Even if I agree with your argument how hard is to get another person who concentrates on android. Just take world of tanks blitz as example. Now it is available for ios,android,windows,windows mobile and Mac. How is it possible that this will not be profitable with so many android phones and tablets out there. My feeling is that google has done nothing to combat piracy and it is easy to rip off apk and offer it online in no time. This is especially true about games.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am talking about major titles not coming to android. I mean I am not asking why windows phone or blackberry (hate to say it) does not get major apps. I am talking android with literally hundreds of millions of devices out there. Even if I agree with your argument how hard is to get another person who concentrates on android. Just take world of tanks blitz as example. Now it is available for ios,android,windows,windows mobile and Mac. How is it possible that this will not be profitable with so many android phones and tablets out there. My feeling is that google has done nothing to combat piracy and it is easy to rip off apk and offer it online in no time. This is especially true about games.

Sorry have to disagree with them doing nothing about piracy. They stop it any time they can. They can't run and stop every site that shares an apk. Just like iOS can't stop everyone who goes and pirates from non official stores as well. I think you're taking it a little far by saying that.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering why would google have "installing from other sources" option in Android in first place ?

Let's say a friend of yours build an app. He wants everyone to test it to see if there are bugs before releasing it to Play. That would be one reason.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
#1, in the early days, as I understand it, so developers install apps. #2, so that places like Amazon can have their own app stores. It's not JUST used for piracy.

Phillip Wall

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the problem is that Android is open and allows Roms. I think the problem comes from Android not putting in proper development support for normal system functions.

For example. I'm working on a lock screen app called Sesame Lock Screen. It can quick launch basically anything, even makes deep links into native apps (free in Play Store - *plug* :). I get lots of positive feedback on the features. But the lock screen isn't officially supported anymore and all the OEMs customize it. It's a total nightmare to get the basic display working for just the different Galaxy S devices and OS combinations. And that's one device model! It's nigh impossible to develop a bug free experience across all the variations.

But for things Android does support, like say accessing and editing Notifications. It's not hard for me to make something that works well.

It can feel capricious what's supported vs not. Whenever a new version comes out, like N, my heart's pounding as I read through what they don't support anymore.

That said, I could never build my app for iOS. Simply don't have access to the data and system I'd need. Double edged sword and I knew what I was getting into.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Android play store is great. I'm not so much into games, not that I don't play them, but the selection is superb in my opinion.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid