Would You Still Buy a Pixel?

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You're definitely not the only one thinking about the Pixel. I agree that the limited inventory makes it easier to 2nd guess the decision to buy one or not. For me, the latest news on the Rev. B models makes me think even more about what Google is doing. How fast are they producing these phones? Are all the Rev. A models going to be pulled and/or refurbished? Its not like there's tons of units out there and even if there were, only a small amount of users would experience the microphone issues.

For me, software experience is #1 , followed by camera quality. The Pixel is as smooth as Android can be, with a top notch camera. However, 6 months after release, I am hesitant to leave the S7 edge for a Pixel. I'm sure I'd have a better experience with the Pixel, but I don't think its worth its $700 with its successor 6 months away.

Its early in 2017 and we still have yet to see what Apple and Samsung will bring, as well as some reputable companies that provide mid-range devices.

My S7 Edge will serve me just fine until October this year when I can look at all the devices and make a decision.

Some great points and I totally agree. My S7 is treating me quite well and it's the best phone I've ever had. But, I can tell you I will not be staying with Samsung in the future, not liking what I'm seeing for the S8. And as for Apple, never!

My next phone will be a Pixel or Pixel 2.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't help thinking about the cycle that these flagships are released on. Samsung in March/April, Apple in September, Google in October.

It takes all sorts of self control not to pull the trigger and upgrade before seeing what comes later in 2017. The rumor mill hasn't even started churning on the Pixel 2 yet.

The S8 will be packed with features and all sorts of tricks up its sleeve.

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I can't help thinking about the cycle that these flagships are released on. Samsung in March/April, Apple in September, Google in October.

It takes all sorts of self control not to pull the trigger and upgrade before seeing what comes later in 2017. The rumor mill hasn't even started churning on the Pixel 2 yet.

The S8 will be packed with features and all sorts of tricks up its sleeve.

I have no doubts that the S8 will be a great phone, but the future size and especially the curved edges on both, is turning me away. I had the S7E and really never liked it because of the curved edges.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Personally if I had an S7 already I would not pickup a pixel now, but wait for the next generation. If I had some crap phone or one that was not working properly then sure would as that would be a different scenario.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I went from Original Droid Turbo 64GB. I called Verizon when I heard a rumour of getting a higher rebate on my Turbo vs. the standard $40 or less for it. In December I ordered a Pixel XL black for me and Pixel XL white/Silver for my wife. January 31 they were both delivered​.
I love plain Android setup.i like a Minimalist screen. My wife went from LG G3 to Pixel XL.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. The G6 will be available in a few weeks and the S8/S8+ will be available in about six weeks. This year's flagships will be worth getting over last year's devices.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Having jumped around several times over the past several years (iPhone, HTC, Motorola, Nexus, Samsung Note) I have come back for a stock Android experience with no desire to look elsewhere for the time being. I'm a tinkerer so locked bootloader and slow update releases are turn-offs. Everyone's different though, I can appreciate the fact that others find features that I may not like attractive to them. I know a lot of users prefer minimal bezels for example, whereas I prefer the bezel design of the Pixel or iPhone where the bottom chin brings the keyboard up more for more comfortable swipe input using one thumb.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the Bluetooth issues just got mine on Tuesday of last week however my pixel xl will be going back to google. Just wasn't enough to make think it is worlds better than the iPhone 7plus . In the beginning all of the reviews made it seem like no phone was better than this. However I beg to differ . I will be back for the pixel 2. Google needs to work on messages making one app vs three apps. The speaker is not good and doesn't outperform the iPhone 7plus. I guess my biggest gripe is why on iOS does all of my bank apps work with Touch ID and on android nougat three out of the five have no finger print to unlock. I don't get why these apps differ so much. Anyway I will most likely get the pixel xl 2 as I am a google fan love the Assitant and will give it another try. Ps google make the phone water resistant and get better stereo speakers .

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an S7 which has been the best phone I've owned to date, and I'm really liking the latest Nougat update. No need to change phones, just feel like I WANT the Pixel XL.

That is the key sentence for me. :) You happy where you are. So why change? The Pixel XL is indeed an amazing device but if you happy with your S7 then keep it. Maybe Save up for the Pixel 2 when i launches?

Hope this helps with your dilemma. Low Stock, and cancelling the order twice is a sign.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
So, I'm trying every way in the world to talk myself out of buying the Pixel XL. Limited inventory has really helped, as I have ordered twice and cancelled order twice before they shipped.

I currently have an S7 which has been the best phone I've owned to date, and I'm really liking the latest Nougat update. No need to change phones, just feel like I WANT the Pixel XL.

So my question is, Is the Pixel XL still a good buy at this point, or wait for the Pixel XL 2? I know I will not continue with a Samsung going forward. I don't like what I'm seeing about the S8's future screens and sizes, so I know my next phone will be a Pixel. Coupled with the fact that I want a carrier free phone next time.

Thoughts?

Are you ordering directly from Google or from Verizon? I placed an order on Verizon 2 weeks ago for a Pixel XL 128GB in Black that was expected to ship on 3/21. I was looking around on the Verizon website and saw when I clicked on the Silver 128GB Pixel XL it didn't have an expected to ship date which led me to believe they were in stock. I chatted in and sure enough they were in stock so I canceled my order for the Black one and ordered a Silver one that arrived 2 days later.

I was ok with switching colors as I was debating between the two in the beginning anyway. I have to say now that I have the Pixel XL in the silver I am glad I switched. It gives me so many more options for different case colors that wouldn't necessarily look good with the black and I like the silver back better.

So basically if you are open to colors keep an eye on the websites and you may find them in stock. Verizon I believe still has stock on the 32GB Pixel XL in blue.

Also I came from an S7 Edge and I am so happy that I made the switch. The pure android software experience is the best I have ever had on an android device and the overall usability of a phone and being smooth is what is most important to me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the Bluetooth issues just got mine on Tuesday of last week however my pixel xl will be going back to google. Just wasn't enough to make think it is worlds better than the iPhone 7plus . In the beginning all of the reviews made it seem like no phone was better than this. However I beg to differ . I will be back for the pixel 2. Google needs to work on messages making one app vs three apps. The speaker is not good and doesn't outperform the iPhone 7plus. I guess my biggest gripe is why on iOS does all of my bank apps work with Touch ID and on android nougat three out of the five have no finger print to unlock. I don't get why these apps differ so much. Anyway I will most likely get the pixel xl 2 as I am a google fan love the Assitant and will give it another try. Ps google make the phone water resistant and get better stereo speakers .
They differ due to the devs. The devs have to program it into their app.. not Google.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Same here - have S7 on vzw, bought an XL. It was just too big. Even though it was physically smaller than my 6P, it felt bigger and not manageable with one hand. Never seemed to notice that with the 6p. Anyhow, now I want the regular Pixel, but with Nougat on the S7, it pretty much removes any valid reason for getting the Pixel. I'm probably just going to wait for the next gen to see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Same here - have S7 on vzw, bought an XL. It was just too big. Even though it was physically smaller than my 6P, it felt bigger and not manageable with one hand. Never seemed to notice that with the 6p. Anyhow, now I want the regular Pixel, but with Nougat on the S7, it pretty much removes any valid reason for getting the Pixel. I'm probably just going to wait for the next gen to see.

Sorta,this. The S7 is still behind being on 7.0 rather than 7.1, it's still behind on camera, security, software in general. But the S7 is still easily one of the 5 or 6 best phones available, so it's pretty hard to justify upgrading from a top 5er to another top 5er.

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you ordering directly from Google or from Verizon? I placed an order on Verizon 2 weeks ago for a Pixel XL 128GB in Black that was expected to ship on 3/21. I was looking around on the Verizon website and saw when I clicked on the Silver 128GB Pixel XL it didn't have an expected to ship date which led me to believe they were in stock. I chatted in and sure enough they were in stock so I canceled my order for the Black one and ordered a Silver one that arrived 2 days later.

I was ok with switching colors as I was debating between the two in the beginning anyway. I have to say now that I have the Pixel XL in the silver I am glad I switched. It gives me so many more options for different case colors that wouldn't necessarily look good with the black and I like the silver back better.

So basically if you are open to colors keep an eye on the websites and you may find them in stock. Verizon I believe still has stock on the 32GB Pixel XL in blue.

Also I came from an S7 Edge and I am so happy that I made the switch. The pure android software experience is the best I have ever had on an android device and the overall usability of a phone and being smooth is what is most important to me.

Ordered directly from Google site, and I am pretty much stuck on the black. Thought I wanted the blue, but it looks just a little too loud for my taste. Ship date is 4/1 so I still have time to change my mind yet again, lol.

Justin H1

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I like others have had a lot of phones and currently really enjoy the experience of the LG V20. I utilize the second screen more then i thought i would and the dual camera setup is pretty nice. I don't know, these days I almost feel like a gimmick is almost needed to stand out. IE Galaxy Screen saturation, v series dual screen's etc. Either way I bit the bullet and got a pixel XL. By far the best phone I have had. It is so quick its just unreal. I do miss the dual screen and if only it had a stylus :(

chris.hannis

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
I don't have the Pixal but love the projectfi service, and it is getting better all the time I especially​ like the bill compared to a contract with a Carrier