X goes to Taiwan

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed that I just missed the launch of the Verizon world phone Droids before a recent trip to Taiwan. Turns out I didn't miss much, the X works pretty well when not on Verizon's network as long as you're properly prepared. I've taken the liberty of writing up what I learned on the trip, my methods did evolve during the two weeks I was there:
https://www.ebower.com/docs/droidx-overseas/

Hopefully it will prove useful to others who need to be without Verizon for extended periods of time.

Reactions: johnny99

Salviati

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for bringing the topic of international travel, which is important for many Android owners. As for my recent experience, I just traveled for 3 weeks in China and only had my Verizon Droid Incredible (CDMA-only). Much to my surprise, Verizon actually offers CDMA service in China (1X only though). While doing some research before I left, I found out that Verizon actually offers an unlimited data plan to several countries (including China) for the VERY reasonable price of $65/month. This $65/month data package will replace your $30/month plan (it's not an additional fee) pro-rated for the time you want to be overseas. So for my 3 week trip, I only ended up spending ~$26 in addition to my normal phone plan and had unlimited data usage. This does not save you on your minutes, though (still $2/min). And make sure to use the generic WiFi Skype app rather than the Verizon-specific 'Skype Mobile' which will still count against your minutes even though it is only data.

Verizon doesn't really promote this data plan very well, and it is hard to get information about it outside of the Customer Service reps, and some web forums. It is called 'GlobalEmail', but I verified with at least a half-dozen customer reps that it also allowed for internet (non-email) data as well. It was amazing to have access to Google Maps the entire trip! Just don't try tethering your laptop to it (officially or unofficially) or you will risk data fees of $20.50/MB (That's right, it's $20,500/GB without this plan).Anyway, I hope this helps:

Link

breitmike

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
CDMA in China

Ive traveled to mainland China 5 times, using Sprint CDMA phones....never a problem.The phone will connect to China Mobile....always has worked great! Direct calls back to USA are $2.00/Min......excellent connections.....emails work fine....texts are 10 cents each way....just call your carrier prior to your arrival to China and tell them you are travelling there.....they send a little code to your phone....and its all smooth sailing!!
Its also pretty cheap in US Dollars to just but a GSM phone over there to use while your there!!

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It is called 'GlobalEmail', but I verified with at least a half-dozen customer reps that it also allowed for internet (non-email) data as well. It was amazing to have access to Google Maps the entire trip! Just don't try tethering your laptop to it (officially or unofficially) or you will risk data fees of $20.50/MB (That's right, it's $20,500/GB without this plan).Anyway, I hope this helps:

Link

Global Email is a Godsend - dirt cheap compared to not having it enabled and much cleaner (IMO) than getting a local SIM for GSM-enabled phones. I use it on my Tour whenever I travel. Now I need to update my sig, I just got back from the VZW store with a D2G to replace it :)