Xfinity Mobile data questions.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So I've made the leap and gone for Xfinity Mobile.

Anyone else? If there is already an official thread here I missed it.

I've signed up for one iPhone and one Samsung Galaxy S8. I had to pay basically list price, but I think the $12 per G data plan will help me hit breakeven in 18 months. If the service is terrible, I'll take my lumps and get a new plan where I can bring the phones or sell the phones to someone.

Should be interesting anyway.

Phones are due Tuesday. I'll report on my experience as it goes.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've looked as well. I got the email from them a few days ago. My data charge would be about the same as I pay now on the same network (Xfinity is reselling Verizon access). The savings seem to come from losing the line access charges for my older Nationwide Family plan. I'd be saving roughly a hundred plus taxes and fees with this setup. I can't help but think that I've missed something. That whole "if it looks too good to be true" thing.

arkuti

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in hearing more about your experience with Xfinity Mobile. My wife and I currently have 4GB shared on Verizon and just the line access fees and data are about $90 per month. To go to the same 4GB shared I would only be paying $48 + taxes with Xfinity. A great savings for what should essentially be the same service. I was hoping they would offer some good deals on the phones up front, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe if their adoption rate is a little slower than expected they'll try to pull in more people with lower device payments.

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I got the S8+ last week through Xfinity Mobile. So far, I'm happy. Great data speeds and I like that it connects to Xfinity hotspots automatically. $80 a month for the phone and unlimited.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I activated my S8 last night. Flawless experience as far as that goes. Using this morning at a building that has Xfinity hot spots and so far, much more stable on the network. We'll see it that holds. If so, I honestly don't think I'll exceed 2GB for most months.

My wife's iPhone 7 also arrived last night. She wants to switch from Android so this activation might be more challenging. Waiting for the long weekend for activation/training.

Like the S8 a lot so far. But for the money, I'd better.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
And the iPhone is activated too. Another flawless experience.

I just noticed that both boxes came with $50 movie ticket gift cards from Fandango.

SirSpidey

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I just activated the Samsung S8 on Xfinity mobile as well. Activation went flawlessly (I'm coming from Ting). Nice unboxing experience. I was sold by the Verizon network and $12/Gig data plan. That should be cheaper than with Ting, where I was paying about $30 for about 1 Gig and texts and minutes. The ability to connect to xfinity wifi hotspots is no big deal for me. I was already doing that through the xfinity app on other phones.

The only problem I've had is not receiving some verification texts (for ex., from Twitter), which I haven't solved yet.

Dave_N wrote:
>Like the S8 a lot so far. But for the money, I'd better.

No kidding!

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I received my S8+ on May 30th, activation was easy. I ported my number over from VZW using Xfinity's activation site and it took about 5 mins. The phone comes with almost zero bloat. You have the choice to install the Xfinity apps at setup of the phone and they can be removed like any other app.

I've been happy so far, coverage is the same for me since they are using Verizon's network.

I got the $50 Fandango card as mentioned also.

Chip Treen

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I just switched from Consumer Celluar for cheaper rates. Galaxy S7 for me LG Power X for her. A few issues with texting. Xfinity says they are working on them. FM tuner does not work on either phone. Just opened case with Xfinity. Anyone else notice this issue? Streaming radio is fine, but tuner does not work.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
On the unlimited plan can you elect to shut off wifi and only use VZW data rather than connect to hotspots? I question the security of the hotspots. Thanks!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there someone here with the tech expertise to comment on the security of Xfinity Mobile Hotspots? What is to prevent someone naming his own personal router Xfinity (then you connect and he peruses your phone)?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there someone here with the tech expertise to comment on the security of Xfinity Mobile Hotspots? What is to prevent someone naming his own personal router Xfinity (then you connect and he peruses your phone)?

I have Xfinity (not their cell plan, but their service) and I use the Hotspot feature occasionally. It's a secure network, so as long as you stick with that one your phone should not be connecting to open networks of the same name.

As far as security, well, it's an encrypted network - so it will be as secure as the mobile network, possibly more so. Most of the hotspots are hosted on Xfinity home modem/access point combinations, and the data on those is kept separate from the data on your home network.

If someone managed to fool your phone into connecting to their network and using it, they couldn't get into your phone, but they could see all the traffic passing through. Most of that traffic will be encrypted, of course, so they can't learn a LOT except what web pages you tend to visit, etc. But that's true of every hotspot you use anyway.

If it's something that worries you (which it kinda should, but for different reasons - your carrier and ISP are both now allowed to sell your usage data to third parties, including targeted marketing companies), you can easily install one or more VPN solutions - they set up a secure pipe that means your hotspot provider and ISP only see encrypted data whooshing by (of course, your VPN provider has all that data, but there are plenty of free services that don't make you sign up for an account, and you can rotate between services).

OperaVPN is about the simplest one I've used. It's free for unlimited (probably within reason!) data, and it's a simple one-button-activation setup. It even pops up and begs to be started every time you connect to an open hotspot.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The reason it can fool my phone is I always disconnect from Xfintity hotspot after using then connect manually. Otherwise, when driving along, my phone constantly connects and loses Xfinity hotspots so if I'm streaming a podcast it disconnects.

Does Opera VPN somehow protect data being sent by apps like Google Drive, Gmail etc or only my browsing behavior?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The reason it can fool my phone is I always disconnect from Xfintity hotspot after using then connect manually. Otherwise, when driving along, my phone constantly connects and loses Xfinity hotspots so if I'm streaming a podcast it disconnects.

Does Opera VPN somehow protect data being sent by apps like Google Drive, Gmail etc or only my browsing behavior?

OperaVPN sends all Internet traffic through the VPN. Google Drive and Gmail are encrypted anyway, so no real worries about data interception there, but a VPN will add an extra layer of encryption.

Bummer about the constant disconnects - we have a WiFi hotspot at work and it is offered through our campus, which is stores scattered through a town. So, yeah, I feel your pain there. I have to turn off WiFi as I enter town and then turn it back on when I get home. I had hoped that maybe Xfinity would bake a little special sauce in to make the handoff smoother. Oh, well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus