Xoom uses??

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I am seriously considering getting the Xoom. Although I really would only need the wifi version (whenever that comes out), I like the idea of having the option to have 3G / LTE.

So, my question is this:

What do you do with you Xoom?

I want to see the uses out there to see if it would fit into my life. I have the Droid X for a phone, so all of the normal phone uses are already taken care of. I know the Xoom does internet, movies, games. What are some of the creative uses out there that will allow me to be more productive
?

Does anyone use Docs to Go for work productivity? Email?
Thank you in advance for your uses and feedback.
Doug

Reactions: Vudumedic

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There are several threads on this topic already, just read through any that sound interesting. Personally I find new uses for it almost everyday. A few days ago I installed the N64oid app to play some old games. I felt that while enjoyable the on screen controls were a hindrance so I installed the wii controller app. This made a big difference. Then last night I modded a wii wheel, mote, and classic controller so I could mount my Xoom to the wheel, its a little rough but since its my first mod I am OK with it. I can also use it for mounting my Xoom on my bicycle handle bars.

Today I am going to work on a mount for my Rodeo that will allow me to use the larger screen for navigation without my wife or kids having to hold it in their lap.

The Xoom quickly replaced my laptop (I sold it about 2 hours after I picked up my Xoom). So anything I would have done on my laptop I use the Xoom for.

Last edited:
Reactions: buurin

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
There are several threads on this topic already, just read through any that sound interesting. Personally I find new uses for it almost everyday. A few days ago I installed the N64oid app to play some old games. I felt that while enjoyable the on screen controls were a hindrance so I installed the wii controller app. This made a big difference. Then last night I modded a wii wheel, more, and classic controller so I could mount my Xoom to the wheel, its a little rough but since its my first mod I am OK with it. I can also use it for mounting my Xoom on my bicycle handle bars.

Today I am going to work on a mount for my Rodeo that will allow me to use the larger screen for navigation without my wife or kids having to hold it in their lap.

The Xoom quickly replaced my laptop (I sold it about 2 hours after I picked up my Xoom). So anything I would have done on my laptop I use the Xoom for.

Man the post with your mods was pretty damn cool, I enjoyed it, I took have picked up the Xoom instead of a lap top, now I just need to figure out how to connect it to the network to pick up my external hd.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Man the post with your mods was pretty damn cool, I enjoyed it, I took have picked up the Xoom instead of a lap top, now I just need to figure out how to connect it to the network to pick up my external hd.

Thanks, it worked out pretty good for a first time just figuring it out as I went.

WillC

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Zman,
I'm streaming music from my PC with Audio Galaxy and using Wyse Pocket Cloud for remote access to my computers at home.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What I envisioned:

In general, a tablet is much, much quicker to boot than a computer or netbook, but far more usable for reading tasks than a phone. So even though I can do a lot on my phone, it's easier on the eyes on a tablet. The battery life of a tablet far exceeds that of a netbook, so I can get through an all-day meeting without needing a charge.

Tasks I thought of and actually use frequently:
  • Basic web surfing and internet shopping chores
  • Email connectivity when away from the office or at home
  • Note-taking in meetings where I might not have access to a power supply. I can go 8-12 hours without a charge
  • Monitoring RSS feeds (Pulse is awesome) and reading newspapers, NYT, Washington Post, etc.
  • An e-reader (I find it easier to read than a Kindle)
  • An aviation charts reader (I use mine to display instrument approach charts for flying)

Tasks I didn't anticipate but like:
  • Navigation using the GPS function
  • Long-battery-life music or internet radio streaming (combined with a BT headset for working out at the gym)

Tasks I'm waiting for apps for:
  • Access to and reading of scientific journal articles for work
  • Watching streaming sports (MLB, TSN curling, etc.). Needs flash to be released

Cheers.

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I registered specifically to write in this topic haha.

I have used a tablet (the iPad) for doing essay work for college, I will probably be picking up a Xoom as soon as it's out in the UK (only 20 minute drive from where I am in Ireland). I plan to use it as a laptop replacement as it's a lot lighter and still a decent size. I was able to type 10 fingers on the iPad and my typing speed was fairly similar to the laptop.

Also will be watching video on it, browsing the web and playing games etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej