Xperia Z3 Losing Data Connection

Jonj1611

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a frustrating problem and wondered if its common or if anyone could shed some light on it.

I have a Z3 which I bought and unlocked(using a code). Phone is unlocked fine and running on 3 UK.

Problem I have is the Z3 when out and about will lose the data connection and only get it back when I restart the phone, so 4G/3G works just fine when it works after restarting for example but will lose the connection and then nothing until restart.

While not the end of the world its a bit frustrating.

Thanks for any help

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with my xperia from T-Mobile. Try going to Settings -> More -> Wifi Calling. Make sure your preference is your cellular connection. And yes my phone had the exact same issue. If your phone was set at wifi only then that's the problem. If this doesn't fix the problem I don't know what will.

Posted via the Android Central App

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Also if under call settings you have the option to enable VoLTE, uncheck it. That caused me some headaches with data and texting.

Paul Wheeler3

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but if anyone is experiencing this problem I fixed it by doing this

Xperia devices and the Three network - how to fix data drops

I thought I’d share a quick tweak that applies to most of Sony’s Xperia Android phones. If you’re on the Three network and travel around a fair bit you’ll notice that occasionally you’ll lose the data connection and it won’t always come back until you reboot the phone. Very annoying.

This happens because Three still have some 2G roaming agreements in place for areas they don’t have coverage. That doesn’t include data roaming however and a lot of devices (including the iPhone still) have trouble with this.

The way to fix this is to set the ‘Network Mode’ to ‘4G/WCMA’. Annoyingly you can’t set this in the ‘Mobile Network Settings’ section, you’ll need to go into hidden service menu to get to the setting. From the dialler, type this:

*#*#SERVICE#*#*

'Service' is typed as you would on a T9 predictive text keyboard, so thats one key press per letter.

Once your into the service menu, choose ‘Network Mode’ and then within this menu choose ‘LTE_WCDMA’.

You’ll see the radio stack reboot (so you’ll lose your connection while it does this).

No longer shall you experience the annoying ‘data never comes back’ issue.

It goes without saying that changing this setting is at your own risk.

Muz Haque

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
THANKYOU Paul Wheeler3
I've only joined this forum to say that!
It's the first thing i have found on the net that has actually worked - and it was starting to do my head in having to restart the phone whenever i wanted a data connection.

thedude56

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Paul, will give this a go, it's been driving me insane! I noticed if you go back into "Mobile Networks" in the settings app it resets back to lte_gsm_wdcma and have to re-apply the setting again, so advise to leave this menu alone once the fix is applied in the service menu.

I did find a work around to this issue (before I read your post). If you change the apn name (under internet settings) from three.co.uk to any random text and go back in the menu, the data connection appears again instantly saving a reboot. You then have to change the apn name to some more random text once the issue returns. Really weird fix tbh!!

Was hoping lollipop would fix the issue but your fix is good enough :)

Cheers

Richard

Paul Donovan

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but if anyone is experiencing this problem I fixed it by doing this

I thought I’d share a quick tweak that applies to most of Sony’s Xperia Android phones. If you’re on the Three network and travel around a fair bit you’ll notice that occasionally you’ll lose the data connection and it won’t always come back until you reboot the phone. Very annoying.

This happens because Three still have some 2G roaming agreements in place for areas they don’t have coverage. That doesn’t include data roaming however and a lot of devices (including the iPhone still) have trouble with this.

The way to fix this is to set the ‘Network Mode’ to ‘4G/WCMA’. Annoyingly you can’t set this in the ‘Mobile Network Settings’ section, you’ll need to go into hidden service menu to get to the setting. From the dialler, type this:

*#*#SERVICE#*#*

'Service' is typed as you would on a T9 predictive text keyboard, so thats one key press per letter.

Once your into the service menu, choose ‘Network Mode’ and then within this menu choose ‘LTE_WCDMA’.

You’ll see the radio stack reboot (so you’ll lose your connection while it does this).

I've tried this fix but the Service Menu is greyed out when I access that section. Any idea why?! I'm having the exact problems you've described above on my Z3 on the Three network. Thanks!

Greatsage9279

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've tried this fix but the Service Menu is greyed out when I access that section. Any idea why?! I'm having the exact problems you've described above on my Z3 on the Three network. Thanks!

I think it is a Stamina mode thing. I have the exact same problem. Did you get any resolution?

Last edited:

htc0076969

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I revised my post it's a Sony issue and t mobile is aware of that lucky I haven't run into that yet just system issues

Posted via the Android Central App sony xperia z3

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-01-17-33-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-01-17-33-42.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 22

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a TMo Z3 and I occasionally have this problem, especially since the 5.01 update. I've found that the hand-off between the wifi and wireless network is a little wonky. If my Z3 detects a wifi network it thinks I should be able to connect to, it "blocks" the wireless connection. I remedy the situation by temporarily turning off my wifi and then all is well.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

*#*#SERVICE#*#*

I'd like to say this is now available to me on 5.1.1 update. I didn't have it before so if you were like me you can now probably access it. I'm on a SIM free device.

macdonx

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
There is also a setting for LTE_GSM_WCDMA, which is checked. Since I am on T-Mobile, should I still choose LTE_WCMDA?

And yes, I only started getting the connectivity issues after the 5.1.1 update.

itsfuntodobadthings

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
There is also a setting for LTE_GSM_WCDMA, which is checked. Since I am on T-Mobile, should I still choose LTE_WCMDA?

And yes, I only started getting the connectivity issues after the 5.1.1 update.

Having the same issue since updating to 5.1.1 on 7/29.
Keep having to toggle airplane mode to get data to work. Frustrating.

Nizzzle

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having this same issue on T-Mobile. Does anyone know if alternate roms will solve this? It seems like a phone SW issue. It can be fixed by turning mobile data off and then immediately back on again, but if it goes out you will not know right away and will not receive any notifications that require data. Extremely frustrating!

shenanigans6

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have also tried all of the above fixes and it still doesn't work, I am also wondering about custom ROMs. Has anyone had any luck with the version before 5.1.1? Would rolling it back help? I will be returning the phone ASAP if there isn't some solution very soon.:mad: