Your way to Update...

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This question has been asked and addressed at least a dozen times in this thread;)

Recovery does not read sdcards formatted with the exfat file system. While the phone itself will. Since you have to go into recovery, if your card is formatted with the exfat file system, the card won't be found.

You will have to reformat your sdcard to the fat32 file system. The instruction and the program to use is scattered all throughout this thread. I would find it for you but am currently at work. I will look for it on break in about 50 minutes and will edit this post with that information.

I found your earlier post regarding how to reformat the sd card. I am in the EaseUS Partition Master program and am not sure how to get the SD card reformatted. Do I need to 'Wipe disk'? Not sure how to proceed...

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...

If I use the method in post #2, will the JB update still get pushed to my phone by Sprint?

No, it will not get pushed to your phone because the method in post #2 gives you the Official update. It's just that you'll update manually rather than OTA. The Sprint network will recognize that your phone already has the update and that it is already up to date. After you use the post #2 method for the update, you can go to Settings>About device to verify everything.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Got the update to JB installed - a big thanks to Skunkape60 for your help!

Is there a way to verify that my SD card is indeed formatted to FAT32?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If recovery read the file from the external sdcard, then you have the fat32 file system on it. :D

Well, that settles that! Thanks again. I see that Google Search wants to be updated right away after the JB update. Is there any reason NOT to update it? Will I again lose the ability to search my contacts, etc.? If so, can I just install the apk like before?

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No, it will not get pushed to your phone because the method in post #2 gives you the Official update. It's just that you'll update manually rather than OTA. The Sprint network will recognize that your phone already has the update and that it is already up to date. After you use the post #2 method for the update, you can go to Settings>About device to verify everything.

just got an ota "notice" from sprint stating jb 4.1 will be pushed to my s3 "shortly"... i already did the manual update from this thread post 2, and the build number on the sprint notice matches the build number on my phone... just puttin that out there :)

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
After doing the manual update from post #2 in this thread earlier today, I get a pop-up message just now, 'Attention: Unable to find software on your PC that can recognize your device. Service pack 3, Windows Media Player, version 10 or higher, for Windows XP or Android File Transfer for Mac OS must be installed. You can download and install PC Kies from https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...www.samsung.com%2Fus%2Fkies%2F&token=Iq6JxjVX in order to sync data with your device, back up data, and upgrade your device (Windows and Mac OS are supported)' My laptop is running Windows 7.
Any idea on why I am seeing this??

dro215

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I did it if I can do it anybody can I don't know shyt about roms or anything my Phone is completely stock out of the box I left it like that I followed the 2nd original post to a tee and it works when u hold down the volume up and power button and home button as soon as you see samsung with blue lettering at top right hand coner let everything thing go ...and hit update and its a rap not trying to sound like a infomercial but its as easy as 123 and I am not expericed at all when it comes to this good looking op I appreciate it.

merrix

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I got the OTA update and pressed install. The install failed, so I went ahead and downloaded the file (post 2) and went to update that way. I got the following error, What does this mean?

The phone is stock current on 4.0.4

Thanks

Attachments

• 20121104_195505.jpg
    20121104_195505.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 12

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I got the OTA update and pressed install. The install failed, so I went ahead and downloaded the file (post 2) and went to update that way. I got the following error, What does this mean?

The phone is stock current on 4.0.4

Thanks

It's telling you that your not as stock as you thought. It's saying your system files don't match what is supposed to be there.

Your only options at this point are to take your phone to Sprint or to use method in post #3

merrix

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It's telling you that your not as stock as you thought. It's saying your system files don't match what is supposed to be there.

Your only options at this point are to take your phone to Sprint or to use method in post #3

I just bought the phone used. I ran root checker, oh well.

Thanks, at least know I know what to do to fix it.

The Duck

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually my phone did the same thing. Got the notification over the weekend and tried doing the ota. It started to show an update then stopped. No modifications at all. It's not rooted. Now it says that there is not an update available. huh? Personally, I need the phone more than the update.
quack

FreddyFredFred

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I installed this from post #2.
Is this the same as the OTA that will come out?
I can't get Google Now to open with swiping up. Anyone know how to fix this?
Or, point me to the right place?
Thanks!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I installed this from post #2.
Is this the same as the OTA that will come out?
I can't get Google Now to open with swiping up. Anyone know how to fix this?
Or, point me to the right place?
Thanks!

I don't think it's even supposed to do that. That sounds more like a launcher setup option you would need to setup.

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
According to Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

"Get to Google Search faster: Google Search can be opened directly from the lock screen by swiping up. For devices with software navigation keys, you can now swipe up from the system bar to quickly access Google Search with Google Now. For devices with a hardware search key, you can tap it to launch Google Search. "

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
According to Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

"Get to Google Search faster: Google Search can be opened directly from the lock screen by swiping up. For devices with software navigation keys, you can now swipe up from the system bar to quickly access Google Search with Google Now. For devices with a hardware search key, you can tap it to launch Google Search. "

Correct this phone has a hardware search key. Press and hold the settings button. Which is the gs3 hardware search button.

If you have the shortcuts on the lock screen. You can Swype up on the g icon and open it but not from the home screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884