Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
do:

adb shell
su
which busybox

^--- should tell you where it is installed

so as far as knowing it was recovery.... I just posted a thread on it:
Know what you are mounting? - Android Forums

Hope this helps :)

let me know

So I think you found my problem....when i search it doesn't find busybox:

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# which BusyBox
which BusyBox
which: not found
#

I know I have busybox installed, because I had problems with Titanium Backup and it downloaded it to the phone and it lists Root Access: OK( BusyBox 1.16.0 from app).

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
So I think you found my problem....when i search it doesn't find busybox:

$ su
su
# which BusyBox
which BusyBox
which: not found
#

I know I have busybox installed, because I had problems with Titanium Backup and it downloaded it to the phone and it lists Root Access: OK( BusyBox 1.16.0 from app).

odd.... did you download busybox from the market?

also, try using root checker (in the market) to confirm correct installation of busybox.

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
odd.... did you download busybox from the market?

also, try using root checker (in the market) to confirm correct installation of busybox.

I didn't download busybox from the market and a quick check with root checker confirmed that it isn't installed. I thought that when I clicked "Problems" in Titanium Backup it downloaded it for me. I'm downloading and backing up now. I'll report back in a few.

Good catch!!!!

busybox = all one word and all lowercase!!! (linux is case sensitive!)

I actually wasn't sure if busybox was all lowercase so I tried several different ways, I just didn't post all of them. Sorry for the confusion.

Jaskil1975#IM

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Is it ok to move these apks to the sd card then save the apks from the sd card to my desktop and completely remove then from my sd card? They will be saved on my desktop and I can add them back to the system/app if I need to with root explorer if need be correct? I would just mount the same way I took them off with correct. I'm only asking because that's how I did it with my og droid and it was ok.

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Good catch!!!!

busybox = all one word and all lowercase!!! (linux is case sensitive!)

I feel like each time we get close I hit a new wall....

Somehow I was able to get the Blockbuster app moved and then tired BitBop but no dice.

$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
# /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
/system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

I pulled a ls on the /system/app file and clearly can see BitBop hanging out in there. I'm not sure what's going on at all now lol

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Is it ok to move these apks to the sd card then save the apks from the sd card to my desktop and completely remove then from my sd card? They will be saved on my desktop and I can add them back to the system/app if I need to with root explorer if need be correct? I would just mount the same way I took them off with correct. I'm only asking because that's how I did it with my og droid and it was ok.

I actually keep mine on my Linux virtual machine, so yeah you can keep them on your pc.

So if an OTA update requires all files to be there you can just put them back in /system/app

You don't even need root explorer! you can do it all with adb! (if you want) You would just need to mount the system block as r/w and the use adb push to place apk's back to /system/app.

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I feel like each time we get close I hit a new wall....

Somehow I was able to get the Blockbuster app moved and then tired BitBop but no dice.

$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
# /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
/system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

I pulled a ls on the /system/app file and clearly can see BitBop hanging out in there. I'm not sure what's going on at all now lol

Do you have a directory name "Bloatware" on your sdcard?

I copied your command (as you wrote it here) and it worked... make sure you have the correct name (including capitalization) of your destination folder

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a directory name "Bloatware" on your sdcard?

I copied your command (as you wrote it here) and it worked... make sure you have the correct name (including capitalization) of your destination folder

Yeah I have the folder Bloatware on my sd card. When you connect to the phone do you choose charging only or something else. I've been selecting mount as a disk drive, because this gave me access to the SD Card.

Also, I had the apps frozen with Titanium Backup a few days ago, but decided i wanted to learn my phone instead of letting someone else do it for me. So I unfroze them and rebooted. (I'm not sure if that makes a difference.)

At the very least I'm learning the code lol

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Open command prompt and do:
adb push tboltappmover.sh /data/local
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
adb shell
su
sh /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
rm /data/local/tboltappmover.sh
exit

When you do "su" you have to accept on your phone screen.

Sorry missing something. I get no-where. I have text file edited. Copied to Sd card.

The above doesn't work for me. Must I copy the sh file to the data folder on SD card?

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have the folder Bloatware on my sd card. When you connect to the phone do you choose charging only or something else. I've been selecting mount as a disk drive, because this gave me access to the SD Card.

Also, I had the apps frozen with Titanium Backup a few days ago, but decided i wanted to learn my phone instead of letting someone else do it for me. So I unfroze them and rebooted. (I'm not sure if that makes a difference.)

At the very least I'm learning the code lol

Are you using the script? If not and are trying to run through this line-by-line, make sure you chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware

I'm not sure if that will solve your issues or not (i'm at work and can't test it)

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Sorry missing something. I get no-where. I have text file edited. Copied to Sd card.

The above doesn't work for me. Must I copy the sh file to the data folder on SD card?

Make sure the script is renamed to have .sh at the end (not .txt)

to use adb: (make sure script is in the same dir as adb)

(starting with the text file tboltappmover.txt:
adb push tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/
adb shell mv /sdcard/tboltappmover.txt /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
)

( starting with tboltappmover already renamed to .sh:
adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
)

adb shell chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard/
./tboltappmover.sh
rm /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh (used to remove the script)
exit

You may or may not have to accepts super user on your phone. Make sure you look at your phone's screen!!

When I get home from work I will double check the workings of just using your phone to run all this (ex: mount sd as drive - changing permissions via a file explorer - then click to run... might need to add a sudo or su line)

BTW (TO EVERYONE):
If you run this script it will move all the apk's listed on the front page. This means there is a possibility that apps who are dependent on other info/apps may freak your phone out if moved. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE edit the script to remove only the apk's you are not using!

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
everything I am doing now just gets permission denied.

c:\users\Michael>adb shell cmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
cmod: permission denied

Have already run Root Checker. All go

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer