Droid Charge - Absolute Garbage

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried different ROMs? Have you tried underclocking?

Are you planning to just ebay the Charge and pay full price for a Bionic??

I drop data frequently as well. Is there a rom that fixes that?

My camera used to freeze also but I found out that I was accidentally pressing the power button which locks the screen, they really should have used it as a shutter button instead of locking the camera.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried different ROMs? Have you tried underclocking?

Are you planning to just ebay the Charge and pay full price for a Bionic??

Yeah I've been on Gummy and Altered Beast. Just today I updated to the newest GB Gummy ROM. I haven't underclocked though. I don't see why I should either.

I'm going to most likely get a new Charge sometime soon, I'm on vacation currently so I can't. If that new Charge solves my problems, I'll keep it. If not, Ebay here I come!

I'm not trying to hate on the phone, it's just that currently it isn't cutting it for me. I for one LOVE the screen. I don't know how long it's going to take me to get used to anything else... I also like the Gummy ROM so it will be sad to see that go.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Try swapping it out for a replacement, sounds like a lemon to me.

heres my take on the droid charge..
i had a fascinate and never could get the calls out or in to stabilize.. always missed portions of a word maybe even a whole sentence. the fassy took great pics and music for calls etc but the signal strength sucked bad..
i called tech about it twice,, once before it took a swim in a sting ray tank..and once after the fassy showed it was water resistant..
my secon call i was offered a droidx2 , my reply was that i did not want a snapdragon processor.. and ask if there was something newer and not something that would be ouitta date as soon as i got it.. so they offered me a droid charge.. i jumped on that.. i've had it 3 days so far and havent noticed any problems.. it acts like any other smart/dumb phone... last night it turned its self off.. i woke up checked for battery life and noticed it was off.. i did about 5 reboots from time to time as i loaded apps that i wanted and it leveled off no more shutting down..it appears to be stable and as far as 4g goes ..welp it wont work but i live in a fringe area...
the charge will make/recieve calls much better and no garble in words..(seems some sim cards are defective, by verizons mouth and they will change them no hassles)

Right Now Verizon is chomping at its bits trying to gain new customers and not lose existing customers so they will work with anyone so far.. also when i went from a 3g sammy to a 4g lte charge there was no extra charges for the step up... tech told me that there was a lot of repports in my area about the sammies and was more than happy to step me up.. also store manager had to go to his whatever and get a new sim card because they didnt send one with my charge..

so yes i am sure i'll see some creaks and cracks and might even say the charge is garbage later but for now its the smartest thing i've done with Verizon...

a point to everyone... the charge has a built in antenna,,,, read it in the specs.....
the fassy has no built in antenna... thus a pisspoor signal..
even after its swim,, the fassy was as good or maybe a tad better than before the swim but still a piss poor signal....

i think me and this charge will get along just fine..
oh there is one defect though... its a pre-installed game named "Lets Golf" it cost 5 bucks if ya want it.. so dont let yer fingers do the walking... it can not be removed... i have tried,,, i hate when someone or thing tries to push me anywhere or into anything... that game has got to go...

but i love my charge.. perhaps you missed a step rooting etc...

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had my charge for a week now and absolutely love it. I had bought a Droid X2 and returned it two days later because it was a terrible phone, at least 2 steps back from the Droid X I had and loved. When I went in for the charge, I was trying to decide between the thunderbolt and the charge. I had a friend who had a charge let me play with his phone and steered me away from the thunderbolt. Even the rep at verizon told me to stay away from the Thunderbolt. That has to tell you something right there. So, yes I would agree that you probably got a lemon.

Last edited:

zeus_r6

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Been running the replacement for about a week now...I've noticed the same thing with this one....it will randomly bog down and I have to reboot it. Another thing is the data connection timing out...I'm guessing that's a tower issue here.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have many of the issues you have, but I sure have the 'data drop' issues. If you're in an area that your first Charge is experiencing it, I'll bet you can exchange it for 1,000 Charges and they'll all have that issue.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I drop data frequently as well. Is there a rom that fixes that?

No, a newly designed phone will though. People that don't have this issue simply live in signal areas that are more solid. Here in N.Y. 4G is spotty and where it is it's not reliable. Go indoors and you lose the 4G, drop to 3G and often 1X. During these times the Charge will say "no data connectivity".

This phone just has a less sensitive radio IMO.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
a point to everyone... the charge has a built in antenna,,,, read it in the specs.....
the fassy has no built in antenna... thus a pisspoor signal..
even after its swim,, the fassy was as good or maybe a tad better than before the swim but still a piss poor signal....

Huh? All current phones have 'built-in' antennas. The days of extended monopole antennas are long gone. What phone do you think would work without an antenna????