Do all Samsung phones have a crap GPS?

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what it is, but it seems like bad GPS performance is a common complaint with Samsung phones. My Fascinate had terrible GPS performance and honestly the Charge isn't much better it seems. Takes forever to find the satellites using google nav. Samsung makes good phones in general, but I don't know what it is about the GPS performance on their stuff.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a Fascinate so I know what you are talking about, I had issues with the first 2 software releases for the Charge. Now with the ee4 update my gps has been perfect. It works every time and it is accurate. If you are running ee4 try a factory reset. After the update it did take a data wipe to get it working well. The first lock on might take a little while but after that it should work. Mine has had no issues and locks on within 10 seconds or less every time outside.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my fascinate worked petty good but the charge is great....no problems at all.....locks within seconds....just make sure you have both stand alone and Google services checked

sydseale

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My Captivate was terrible, but with the Charge I've noticed that it will be great, and then terrible, but rebooting solves the problem. I've come to think of it as a "damn, time to reboot" problem. Try that.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what it is, but it seems like bad GPS performance is a common complaint with Samsung phones. My Fascinate had terrible GPS performance and honestly the Charge isn't much better it seems. Takes forever to find the satellites using google nav. Samsung makes good phones in general, but I don't know what it is about the GPS performance on their stuff.

If you compare Samsung's GPS to the IPhone's GPS, you get an unequivocal 'yes', they are crap.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
My gps has worked flawlessly with google maps and a terrific cycling app called endomondo. I have only used it a couple of times with maps because it really chews through battery time and I don't have car charger, but have used it with endomondo half a dozen times with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is also quite bad on my Charge. I have to use a free program from the Market called "GPS Status". I run that for a minute at most, run Google Maps and then my location is pinpointed. Without it, Maps thinks I'm somewhere in a huge radius, like 1000 feet.

Reactions: bicycle019

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is great. Not only does it lock quickly and give good directions, I have 2 golf yardage apps and when I compare the indicated yardage to the laser shot "yardage plates" on the golf course, my phone is more accurate than my buddies iphone running the same apps.

I just wish the 3G/4G reception and hand-offs were as good!

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Wait What??? Why google services?

When you go into gps there are 3 options. Verizon, stand alone, and Google if you have Google maps installed. I have found Google is by far the fastest and most accurate.

My biggest problem was finding a signal, it was taking 5+ minutes while standing outside. With Google navigation (maps) app and Google location services its less than a minute now. Never had a problem with accuracy.

I even removed the Maps icon and replaced with Google maps, it works much better.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
GPS systems are notoriously fussy. Unless you're willing to shell out for a multi-receiver, sub-centimeter rig from a professional-grade supplier like Trimble or Ashtech ProMark, you're likely to get results that vary in accuracy from one session to another. Calling one phone brand or another "crap" is silly, since you'll find individual handsets from Samsung, iPhone, BlackBerry, etc. that perform well or not so well (and often performance is location-specific). An interesting article about GPS errors can be found here:

Introduction to GPS Chapter 6

Of all the GPS-enabled phones I've owned, my old BlackBerry Tour was the most reliable, and my current Charge is the least reliable. But the Fascinate I had previously was superb.

As a side note, a buddy of mine purchased a mobile (hand-held) GPS marketed by Garmin for aircraft use. Spent about a grand for it. It was typically at least 50 meters inaccurate regardless of where we were - he missed so many turns while using it in the car he quit using it. And this thing didn't make phone calls, play Angry Birds, or take pictures.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's just been an observation of mine about Samsung really. My Charge seemed great GPS wise at first, now it takes forever to find satellites, sometimes it doesn't at all before I just give up. My friends with the X and X2 always get great GPS reception, I'm sick of feeling inadequate! lol

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted you can edit your \data\GPS\Secgps.conf file which will improve reception tremendously!

Can't attach a copy of my file, but pm me or search on XDA for the parameters.

bicycle019

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is also quite bad on my Charge. I have to use a free program from the Market called "GPS Status". I run that for a minute at most, run Google Maps and then my location is pinpointed. Without it, Maps thinks I'm somewhere in a huge radius, like 1000 feet.

I also use this program and it's worked really well for me. GPS locks on fast, even in way out in the back country. I have used the phone to record GPS files with really good results so far using My Tracks on mountain bike rides. Burns some battery for sure though.

Stolen from Carlos9 on the MTBR.com forum:

https://market.android.com/details?i...sstatus2&hl=en

not only is it a decent app to play with but it has a feature that will "reset" the gps on your phone...

once its installed:

- open the app
- press menu
- press tools
- press manage a-gps state
- press reset

- press menus again
- press tools again
- press manage a-gps state again
- now press download

- close out the app
- reopen whatever gps app you were having trouble with and it will lock onto a signal 100% of the time. never fails.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted you can edit your \data\GPS\Secgps.conf file which will improve reception tremendously!

Can't attach a copy of my file, but pm me or search on XDA for the parameters.

I think I found the right directions, but it didn't seem to help. Tried that fasterfix app as well and got nothing but a black screen when the app started.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty