3.5 mm jack

mnofsteel34

May 8, 2010
Visit site
anyone else having a problem when you plug your phone into your car stereo via 3.5 mm cable, you have to wiggle the cable to play music through your car speakers....I returned my original charge thinking something is wrong with it but the second one is doing the same thing!

Need A Beach

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem. Sometimes I also have the problem when using headphones. The only thing that works for me at times is to push the plug in as far as it goes and then pull it out slightly.

Would love it if someone has a better solution

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No issues with mine. I use it with either wired headphones or connected to my car at least every other day. Sound like a loose connection at the solder point inside the phone. Should be a warranty issue.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
If you have a case on your phone it might not be letting the jack get plugged in all the way. That was my problem. I took the case off then plugged in the headphone jack and it worked fine.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I too initally had issues when I plugged some external speakers into the jack to play a Netflix movie. No sound. And then I tried some headphones and still no sound. Then tried an expensive pair of canal headphones and it played only after using force to seat the plug.

Not all 3.5 mm male connectors are the same. Some are of different lengths but hard to notice unless you hold them next to each other. Luckily my problem was I did not to try and jam the first two plugs I tried out deep enough as I did not want to damage the connector inside. The jack on the Charge is definitely a tight fight. I had to really push hard until the jack finally seated and it started playing.

But I'd rather it be a tight fit over a loose one. Tight will loosen over time anyway.

You shouldn't have to jiggle it though to get it to play. Just cause you exchanged it doesn't mean you didn't get the same possible poor assembly issue if your replacement came from the same lot at the the same store!

Try some other headphones out in a store to isolate the issue of jacks of varying brands. Over the years, I find some jacks collars are in different places which varies how deep a jack goes even though it's still 3.5 mm in diameter. Some have a different tip styles too which can affects a connection.

If all else fails, have them exchange it again, but bring in your headphones with you, so they can try your current Charge out with your headphones to rule out a bad male jack end.

I have not read of many jack issues on any Charge forums other than the known issue that when using an HDMI cable, it does not give us an option of allowing us to split the audio signal through the 3.5mm jack to pass the audion to a stereo system or external speakers. Hopefully they can address this in a next software update.

Last edited:

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I too initally had issues when I plugged some external speakers into the jack to play a Netflix movie. No sound. And then I tried some headphones and still no sound. Then tried an expensive pair of canal headphones and it played only after using force to seat the plug.

Not all 3.5 mm male connectors are the same. Some are of different lengths but hard to notice unless you hold them next to each other. Luckily my problem was I did not to try and jam the first two plugs I tried out deep enough as I did not want to damage the connector inside. The jack on the Charge is definitely a tight fight. I had to really push hard until the jack finally seated and it started playing.

But I'd rather it be a tight fit over a loose one. Tight will loosen over time anyway.

You shouldn't have to jiggle it though to get it to play. Just cause you exchanged it doesn't mean you didn't get the same possible poor assembly issue if your replacement came from the same lot at the the same store!

Try some other headphones out in a store to isolate the issue of jacks of varying brands. Over the years, I find some jacks collars are in different places which varies how deep a jack goes even though it's still 3.5 mm in diameter. Some have a different tip styles too which can affects a connection.

If all else fails, have them exchange it again, but bring in your headphones with you, so they can try your current Charge out with your headphones to rule out a bad male jack end.

I have not read of many jack issues on any Charge forums other than the known issue that when using an HDMI cable, it does not give us an option of allowing us to split the audio signal through the 3.5mm jack to pass the audion to a stereo system or external speakers. Hopefully they can address this in a next software update.

Use your TV's audio out to hook up to your surround system. It works just fine. This way you don't have so many wires coming our of your Charge.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Use your TV's audio out to hook up to your surround system. It works just fine. This way you don't have so many wires coming our of your Charge.

For my needs I'm waiting on a powered converter that allows me to use the rca's or S-video in . . . on a tv in a motel. Most tv's don't offer HDMI in yet. But I get decent enough audio through the their TV speakers while watching a movie.

So my HDMI cable goes to the converter and then to the TV. From what I've read on the forums once you plug the HDMI cable into the Charge the 3.5 jack becomes inactive because the audio is going thru the HDMI cable.

When home I personally already stream netflix through a PS3 which outputs Dolby DD 5.1 into my Stereo.

But I've read where users have issues trying to feed the 3.5 jack into external speakers or a stereo once they plug the HDMI cable into the charge.

hellogoodbye8844

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I found a quick fix the phone uses a longer input so just go to radio shack and get an adapter that is longer that hooks from the headphones or any stereo to the phone no need for all that useless so called high end headphone :)set they will also get the same results i myself bought a 3.5mm adapter from kingdollar and it works great the name brand is DLO so i guess you can get it also online for a little more but it is worth it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty