If you could leave the Charge, would you? What would you get?

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Nexus Prime man. As soon as that thing comes out I'm burning my upgrade and tossing my Charge into my box of "old" gadgets.

lomad

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It works perfectly on the iPhone, I can't understand why the Android phones are having such GPS issues and its not just limited to the Charge either.

I know. My 3G android phones (Eris and Inc) were much better for GPS reception; neither (or should I say any of the five, due to multi-replaced Tbolt pre-Charge) 4G/LTE phone has been worth a *&$! when it comes to GPS.

I admit, at times, I wish I'd gone iPhone...

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I know. My 3G android phones (Eris and Inc) were much better for GPS reception; neither (or should I say any of the five, due to multi-replaced Tbolt pre-Charge) 4G/LTE phone has been worth a *&$! when it comes to GPS.

I admit, at times, I wish I'd gone iPhone...

I've been there, it had it's bonuses but the things it couldn't do as well as Android really really frustrated me. Not being able to download from the web is a pretty big one. I think in iOS 5 you can from safari to Dropbox now though.

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
GPS:

They sent me a certified "like-new" device to see if that fixes my data connectivity issues. Of course, it didn't (hopefully the patch later this month will get it fixed). HOWEVER, my GPS on this replacement device is SMOKING fast... Locks on within a few seconds. The other phone took forever sometimes. So, what changed? Who knows...

frannip

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually already considering it. I think the Charge is a terrible phone. Some of its bells and whistles are "WOW" and others are "Really??? UGH!". Call quality is awful, I have to use a headset to make out the muffled sounds on the other end that are coming through. I go through 2 to 3 batteries in ONE DAY with some mild use. I'm sorry, but I have a smart phone to USE it when and how I want to. If I have to make provisions like carry extra batteries, chargers, etc with me whenever I expect to go to do more than carry my phone with no GPS, WIFI, or Bluetooth connected, then it's way too high a maintenance device for me. It doesn't work with my car's bluetooth. GPS often can't find me accurately (and I'm in NYC and metro area), or can't hold my location and is often "searching" (which sucks the life out of the battery too I might add).

I may have had some issues with my Blackberry, but none where I was this unhappy. I'm probably going back to BB since all the new touchscreens came out (looking for the Verizon Torch). I'd rather have mediocre across the board with some variation of WOW and UGH's vs the rollercoaster that the Charge gives.

For those who are quick to think I abandoned my BB for a Droid, I didn't. My full touch BB completely croaked after almost 3 years and there was no BB comparable that was out to replace it. I thought I would try something new since I felt I really had no options. As my 10 year old would say ... this has proven to be an EPIC FAIL.

Not all phones are for all people. Charge has turned me off to Droids. Sorry :(

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually already considering it. I think the Charge is a terrible phone. Some of its bells and whistles are "WOW" and others are "Really??? UGH!". Call quality is awful, I have to use a headset to make out the muffled sounds on the other end that are coming through. I go through 2 to 3 batteries in ONE DAY with some mild use. I'm sorry, but I have a smart phone to USE it when and how I want to. If I have to make provisions like carry extra batteries, chargers, etc with me whenever I expect to go to do more than carry my phone with no GPS, WIFI, or Bluetooth connected, then it's way too high a maintenance device for me. It doesn't work with my car's bluetooth. GPS often can't find me accurately (and I'm in NYC and metro area), or can't hold my location and is often "searching" (which sucks the life out of the battery too I might add).

I may have had some issues with my Blackberry, but none where I was this unhappy. I'm probably going back to BB since all the new touchscreens came out (looking for the Verizon Torch). I'd rather have mediocre across the board with some variation of WOW and UGH's vs the rollercoaster that the Charge gives.

For those who are quick to think I abandoned my BB for a Droid, I didn't. My full touch BB completely croaked after almost 3 years and there was no BB comparable that was out to replace it. I thought I would try something new since I felt I really had no options. As my 10 year old would say ... this has proven to be an EPIC FAIL.

Not all phones are for all people. Charge has turned me off to Droids. Sorry :(

yeah I guess if your goin thru 2-3 batteries a day with mild use it must be a bad unit....I charge mine during the day but like you say....it's a smart phone and I'm gonna use it....my GPS is not as good as my blackberry was but it does what I need it to.....would not leave this phone...for me it has minor issues but no phone is perfect...

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Even as frustrated as I have been with the Charge, I can't say it's been as bad as frannip's has been. I charge my battery at night, and with moderate use throughout the day, I'm good until late in the day or early evening without needing to recharge it at all. It is almost 1:30 in the afternoon right now, and I've been talking a lot on it today, and I'm at 62%. It connects to the Bluetooth in my Lexus without a problem every time I get in the car. WiFi hasn't really given me any troubles either. Call quality has been great, on both my old one and this replacement device. And, like I said before... The GPS on this replacement device they sent me has been smoking fast. I can't say that for the one I'm replacing, which took FOREVER. I don't know what is different, but it picks me up inside my house within 10 seconds.

Last edited:

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Call quality is awful, I have to use a headset to make out the muffled sounds on the other end that are coming through.

Interesting... I thought the call quality of this phone was one of its major perks. I have never heard a voice come through so clear!

I owned the DInc2 for a day, and the call quality was definitely inferior. Another DInc2 owner agreed with me on this. Strangely digital sounding.

Overall I am okay with this phone. Like others, I hope data dropping and GPS lock get improved on the update.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the gps lock problem and call quality sucks as well. My Jawbone BT sounds horrible.

Lately it has been locking up and randomly rebooting. I uninstalled all the recent Apps and don't know what it is, might be time to reset.

I still like the phone though, just not as much as I did.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Charge. I like most things about it, but I've been having data connectivity issues with it. They have offered me pretty much any other device besides the Bionic for a free replacement. I would prefer to stay with a 4g phone, but I'll consider something else if you feel it is simply that amazing.

So, the question is...

If you could leave the Charge for anything besides a Bionic, would you? What would you get if so? If not, what about it makes you love it so much that you'd stay with it?

Thanks! Greatly appreciate the opinions.

I'd scream for the bionic if I were you. They've essentially admitted your phone is bogus so why shouldn't you get the best?

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
GPS:

They sent me a certified "like-new" device to see if that fixes my data connectivity issues. Of course, it didn't (hopefully the patch later this month will get it fixed). HOWEVER, my GPS on this replacement device is SMOKING fast... Locks on within a few seconds. The other phone took forever sometimes. So, what changed? Who knows...

If the patch has the same EP1W radios that is currently leaked it is not the end all cure all to the data problem. Ive been running the leaked radios for a week now and while they are better they are far from perfect.

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd scream for the bionic if I were you. They've essentially admitted your phone is bogus so why shouldn't you get the best?

The "best" is certainly debatable... The Bionic's innards are certainly the best, but they slapped the ugliest screen in the whole Verizon lineup on top of it. It's like putting a Ferrari drive-train under a Kia body. It's too bad really... Verizon could have finally had a pretty sexy device. I don't think I could look beyond the screen on the Bionic after coming from the Charge's screen.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I like my charge most of the time. Love the screen and the things I can do on LTE. My problems I believe are related to low ram. For this reason I am going to attempt to move into one of the new phones with 1gb of ram. Not even sure I care which one. Probably the one with the best battery life. Won't make a move until I can choose between the HTC vigor, Samsung Prime or the Lg Optimus.

Updated 10/07. Looking at the Samsung Prime to lead the field at this point. Price and Battery will be important but the hope for a pure Google OS and 4.5 screen is going to get my attention.

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but the Bionic isn't going to be your best option in about a month or so. 1Ghz processor vs. 1.5, VGA front camera vs. 1.3megapixel or maybe even 2mp and not to forget a qhd pentile screen vs the new 720p hd's or new Super Amoled HD screen. Next couple of months will give you at least 3 better LTE options. I'd be patient for now.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The Bionic reminds me of explosive diarrhea. Sleek, fast and can be impressive but at the end of the day it still looks like a turd.

About the mention of the Patch that is coming later. The only one we know of is the leaked EP1W, but that has been in the can for over a month now. I would not be surprised if it wasnt tweaked even further by the time they actually get around to releasing it.

Also, it isnt just the radios that are changing, it is going to be GB so some other things will improve as well.

As I am sure I have said in this thread, the only thing to make me think of leaving the Charge right now is the Prime. It is a Sammy phone (screen) without having to wait for the updates. Kinda sounds like nirvana to me

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
EP1W. There is a thread on it over in the ROMs section and if you follow the link, you will find just the modems that you can flash with ODIN. I have been using them since they were ripped and they are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty