Droid charge getting discontinued??

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
In what ways, exactly? I don't really have any GPS problems. What else does it fix?

For reference I'm running the stock leak of 2.3.6 with Launcher Pro Plus.

1. GPS used to take 5-10 minutes to lock in. Now it locks in 5-10 seconds.

2. Battery life improvement. I got 13 hours today with moderate to heavy use. I used to get 8-10 hours.

3. Everything runs a lot smoother. I can scroll between home screens and the app drawer with no lag or jittering.

4. It just looks better. i.e. The notification bar is now black and looks great with my mostly black background.

6. There are a lot of little insignificant things also. They all add up to make a noticeable improvement to the user experience.

In my opinion, the majority of negative comments about this phone since it's release are now null and void. The Charge is now the phone I wish it was when I bought it 5 months ago.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
In what ways, exactly? I don't really have any GPS problems. What else does it fix?

In general from what I have seen with other devices upgraded to gingerbread they experience is faster, the UI smoother, apps run better, battery life usually improves. It's mostly behind the scenes changes but the phones feel like new phones.

Reactions: SOTK

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
What about issues with the data signal? Does it switch better between the different radios? I'm still having trouble with it losing data completely on stock froyo.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
For reference I'm running the stock leak of 2.3.6 with Launcher Pro Plus.

1. GPS used to take 5-10 minutes to lock in. Now it locks in 5-10 seconds.

2. Battery life improvement. I got 13 hours today with moderate to heavy use. I used to get 8-10 hours.

3. Everything runs a lot smoother. I can scroll between home screens and the app drawer with no lag or jittering.

4. It just looks better. i.e. The notification bar is now black and looks great with my mostly black background.

6. There are a lot of little insignificant things also. They all add up to make a noticeable improvement to the user experience.

In my opinion, the majority of negative comments about this phone since it's release are now null and void. The Charge is now the phone I wish it was when I bought it 5 months ago.

Are the call problems fixed? I was running the leaked 2.3.5 build and call quality was terrible.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line......I'm no tech guru. Will Verizon be releasing a new software upgrade for the Charge? Is there a planned date?

The answer to your question is yes. There has not been a confirmed date for an OTA release yet. I've said this many times over the last few days here: a person can install the latest plus greatest gingerbread leak with relative ease by going to www.mydroidworld.com and following the instructions in the OP. You DO NOT have to root your phone. The site provides links to the program you need to flash. They provide many software choice packages to choose from simple stock to a pre-rooted/debloated/deodexed one. The site also provides the file needed to return to complete official stock for warranty purposes if you need to return your phone to Verizon. I understand how this process can be intimidating but it really is simple if you take your time, back up what you need to, and follow instructions. Many people in the community are willing to help including myself. Just ask along the way.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The answer to your question is yes. There has not been a confirmed date for an OTA release yet. I've said this many times over the last few days here: a person can install the latest plus greatest gingerbread leak with relative ease by going to My Droid World and following the instructions in the OP. You DO NOT have to root your phone. The site provides links to the program you need to flash. They provide many software choice packages to choose from simple stock to a pre-rooted/debloated/deodexed one. The site also provides the file needed to return to complete official stock for warranty purposes if you need to return your phone to Verizon. I understand how this process can be intimidating but it really is simple if you take your time, back up what you need to, and follow instructions. Many people in the community are willing to help including myself. Just ask along the way.

SOTK:
I tried the insructions for unrooted version and could not get it to work. When I try to install it the PST app cannot detect the USB port. I know USB is working because when plugging the USB cable in I can see the files on the SD card. The phone is in debug mode. Any ideas why it is doing this? I have updated my BB in the past and was able to get it to work.

THX

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
SOTK:
I tried the insructions for unrooted version and could not get it to work. When I try to install it the PST app cannot detect the USB port. I know USB is working because when plugging the USB cable in I can see the files on the SD card. The phone is in debug mode. Any ideas why it is doing this? I have updated my BB in the past and was able to get it to work.

THX

Yes, I know exactly what you are doing wrong. You have to place your phone in download mode. Follow these instructions:

1) What you are about to do will wipe your entire phone putting it to a stock state. Know that your downloaded apps, their settings, contacts, customizations, etc will all be wiped. Take steps to backup as you can. Many of us use titanium backup to back up apps and their settings. Some people just redownload their apps from the market and set everything all back up. Your choice.

2) Turn your phone off

3) Take out the battery and plug in your USB cable.

4) Hold down the volume down button on your phone until you are in download mode. A little yellow guy with a shovel and triangle will appear. Also, your phone will now connect to your computer.

5) Place your battery back in your phone and take out your 4G sim card.

6) Open up the Odin program on your computer.

7) You should have already unzipped the Odin file you downloaded of your choice. If not, unzip it now. Next, click the PDA button in Odin and choose the
unzipped Odin file you chose to download.

8) Leave everything else alone in the Odin program. Just follow my instructions. Don't do anything else. You are now ready to flash your new firmware. Go ahead and click the start button. Don't panic if the firmware update process takes some time. If there are errors, Odin will say so in the little window and the update will fail but if you have done everything I've said, you should be fine.

9) After its done. You should see Pass all in green and your phone will reboot. After your phone completely rebootw, put the 4G sim card back in and enjoy your new firmware!

Ask if you have anymore questions.

NOTE: If all of this goes well and you now feel much more confident about aftermarket firmware updating (you should! ;) ), you should consider being more adventurous and going for a pre-rooted and modded Rom. Danalo, a developer at XDA-Developer forums, has an all in one Odin file which gets you a pre-rooted, deodexed, zip-aligned, partially themed Rom with a custom Voodoo kernel from Imoseyon (another developer) and also ClockwordMod Receovery. All of this is built in to the Odin file. Very easy.

Last edited:

jco23

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
name one phone that has not been pulled/discontinued after more than one year aside from the iPhone - and that gets updated every year....

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
SOTK: I folowed your instructions and it worked great. Your instructions were very easy to follow. All of my apps work. The hottspot widget no longer works. I can still use PDANET. Do you know of a fix for the hotspot widget? I will be searching to see if anyone has found a resolution or if there is an alternative to the hotspot widget. I miss being able to use my charge as a hotspot untethered. I will probably try rooting my charge next since the update to GB was sucesfull.

Thanks again, much appreciated,

Barry

Last edited:
Reactions: SOTK

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I was just in a Verizon store and talking to a rep, just ask if he knew when or if the charge was getting a update. He said he didn't know but they were told to pull the display model, and to not push the droid charge anymore. I think it's getting pulled ? Sad the phone is not very old.

I was at VZW store today to look at Razr and asked my usual rep about Charge being discontinued. He had strange look on him face, stranger than unusual, and said Charge isn't discontinued. There was price drop in response to new $299 offerings (Razr, Rezound, Nexus) but it's still planning to be offered.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I was at VZW store today to look at Razr and asked my usual rep about Charge being discontinued. He had strange look on him face, stranger than unusual, and said Charge isn't discontinued. There was price drop in response to new $299 offerings (Razr, Rezound, Nexus) but it's still planning to be offered.

I don't think Verizon reps know what's going on. Mine told me a different story. I've been to two different stores and they no longer have the charge on display. Idk, I hate how Verizon reps don't know anything. I asked one about the Galaxy nexus the other day and they have no idea about it. They think its just another Samsung phone. He was telling me,how he stays away from Samsung because of there software. I was trying to tell him it was pure android and he still had no idea what I was talking about. He said and I quote "I'm a Motorola man" . It saddens me that we know more, and they go to classes and everything. lol

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Verizon reps know what's going on. Mine told me a different story. I've been to two different stores and they no longer have the charge on display. Idk, I hate how Verizon reps don't know anything. I asked one about the Galaxy nexus the other day and they have no idea about it. They think its just another Samsung phone. He was telling me,how he stays away from Samsung because of there software. I was trying to tell him it was pure android and he still had no idea what I was talking about. He said and I quote "I'm a Motorola man" . It saddens me that we know more, and they go to classes and everything. lol
My VZW store still had Charge on display. My rep was very knowledgeable about the Droid phones. I let him tell me about the Nexus, he knew all about how it was "vanilla" android, commented that both Razr and Rezound would be getting the ICS but that it wasn't clear if they would get the "vanilla" version that Nexus had or if it would be sprinkled with Blur and Sense. He has a Bionic (that he now regrets after seeing the Razr) and it's heavily rooted. We were talking and I mentioned that I wasn't that impressed with Rezound from what I've read, that it seemed to be chunky compared to Nexus and Razr, and that I had a very negative impression of HTC products after my experience with Thunderbolt. He said Rezound was a pretty slick device and then pulls out the Rezound for me to check out for myself. So this guy seems to be up on what's happening. Maybe each store is making their own decision on what to do with Charge - who knows.

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
While I agree that it is sad how little some of them know, you have to understand that phones/technology isn't a passion for all of them. For some of them it is just a job. Also, their training is, most likely, to help them sell phones to your mom (or my mom). What are you going to tell someone that already knows everything? Not an attack, just pointing out.

Jason