KILL Running apps

thezeke

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone... Quick question - I had a S3 on Verizon and took it back and got the DNA last night - really diggin this phone - so fast.

My question; how do I kill all running apps at once? I can kill them one by one however; its tedious and time consuming at times.. Is there a way to Kill All?

Thanks!!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about killing application the Android OS does an outstanding job managing those apps so they don't waste battery or performance.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Check out this link

Why You Shouldn?t Use a Task Killer On Android - xda-developers

There are task killers in the market that work extremely well, but it can make your system unstable, and is unnecessary. I have Advanced Task Killer but it should really only be used to kill apps that are not working properly.

I'm wondering why you're trying to kill apps. Is your phone running slowly or something? Killing battery life too fast?

The easiest way for you to save your battery life is to darken the display, and turn off data, GPS, and sync

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I second the no task killer. But you should check out the recent apps button, swipe up to kill off recent apps.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Does this actually kill the apps, or does it just remove them from the recent apps list?
It reminds me of every iPhone user I've met that habitually remove their recent apps from the recent apps tray because it "makes their phone run faster."

Edit: added quotations.

Last edited:

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It could just remove them from the recent apps. I honestly think the recent apps button is a load of croc and wish they would add the functionability to set it as a menu key.

Update: I just checked and it seems to kill recent apps that are left running. I left AC on this thread, pressed home screen, hit recent apps, swiped up and went back to the app. I was welcomed by the loading screen that is default upon opening.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
It could just remove them from the recent apps. I honestly think the recent apps button is a load of croc and wish they would add the functionability to set it as a menu key.

THIS. Someone needs to do this. I'm sure its possible, but I don't know if it would require root or not.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt it would come with an Over The Air update. It would be great to get rid of the on screen menu bar on incompatible apps and really utilize all 5 inches.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I highly doubt it would come with an Over The Air update. It would be great to get rid of the on screen menu bar on incompatible apps and really utilize all 5 inches.

One can hope lol but yes. The bar bothers me much less than originally because I am now used to it, but it is still irritating since on some apps it doesn't supply any options, it just takes up unnecessary space.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
THIS. Someone needs to do this. I'm sure its possible, but I don't know if it would require root or not.

A few custom Roms have that ability in mods and yes root is required. I had the same thought months ago but I'm slowly getting use to recents and its even better IMO in Sense 5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Update: I just checked and it seems to kill recent apps that are left running. I left AC on this thread, pressed home screen, hit recent apps, swiped up and went back to the app. I was welcomed by the loading screen that is default upon opening.

Yes. It's out there. The current sense5 rom that I'm running has the option to use the recent key for menu. Hold it and the recent apps screen will pop up. It's a nice option. Wasting screen space on a menu key isn't something I want to see.

Adding my 5sense

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Sicario thats awesome! I really want to try rooting this thing. I rooted my Moto Droid 1 back in the day, and my Thunderbolt a couple years ago. So far this one has been a little over my head on what I need to do and in what order unfortunately.

So you would recommend the sense5 ROM?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Sicario thats awesome! I really want to try rooting this thing. I rooted my Moto Droid 1 back in the day, and my Thunderbolt a couple years ago. So far this one has been a little over my head on what I need to do and in what order unfortunately.

So you would recommend the sense5 ROM?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes. Go for sense5. You'll love it. HTC devices seem to be the more difficult type to root. Just find a tutorial video and follow it step by step. Pause. Complete whatever is necessary then repeat. Just take your time. Make sure you have all of the files needed before starting.

Adding my 5sense

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch