Galaxy S4 vs DNA

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Curious to hear from the DNA owners about the Galaxy S4.

I played with a S4 at an AT&T store and felt it really lagged (well, had super stuttery animations). I'm thinking of picking up a brand new DNA I found for $380, but am unsure if I should or not. I'd get the S4, but the stuttering animations seem very frustrating, also not sure if the S4 has the typical AMOLED screen blotches. The S4 seems to have a pretty strong signal (like the Note 2, unlike the S3, S2 GN, etc), so thats good....

I briefly (3 days) had a DNA, but sold it because the battery was dying ultra ultra fast, could have been my location those days.

I also noticed very faint diagonal lines (due to pixel spacing) on the DNA while watching videos with light colors...have any of you noticed this?

Thoughts?

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my DNA for 3 months dreamliner and haven't had any problems with the display or anything else on the phone. This thing flies. I'm picking the HTC ONE up for my wife and am keeping my DNA because of the larger screen and wireless charging.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, The two S4's I played with the main reason for the slight lag was due to the eye feature, With that feature turned off I noticed the phone ran as optimal as it could, virtually no lag. I am not aware of any black spots in the screen. I have yet to notice it.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Have never noticed any thing wrong with the dna screen while watching videos (I've only had mine for about a week) One thing that annoys me is that the backlight for the buttons leak onto the screen so if you're watching a youtube video with black bars you can see the light from your buttons. Otherwise the DNA SO FAR* is a great phone and god I can't wait to be able to unlock and root and get rid of all this bloat and put sense 5 on it.

It seems like the S4 and DNA aren't that much different except for a slightly different CPU and that the s4 has more built in "Features"

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Have never noticed any thing wrong with the dna screen while watching videos (I've only had mine for about a week) One thing that annoys me is that the backlight for the buttons leak onto the screen so if you're watching a youtube video with black bars you can see the light from your buttons. Otherwise the DNA SO FAR* is a great phone and god I can't wait to be able to unlock and root and get rid of all this bloat and put sense 5 on it.

It seems like the S4 and DNA aren't that much different except for a slightly different CPU and that the s4 has more built in "Features"
Root and shutting off the capacitive button lights is number 1. HTC has had issues with this for a long time.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen any lines on my screen while watching videos, and that's the primary use of my phone...as for the s4 I can't really comment because I have yet to see the device. Everyone I know who has one though seems to be very impressed.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
the lag on the s4 could be a ram problem. I've been seeing some chatter saying that it is kind of easy to overload the phone pretty quickly because TW takes up so much memory and ram. the report here on AC said TW took about 9GB of memory and some are saying that TW alone takes up about a gig of ram. that's kind of ridiculous if you ask me, features or no features.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you're talking about the diagonal lines that can be seen up close on a static screen as well then I think you're referring to the digitizer. Compared to other recent smartphones, the DNA digitizer is fairly easy to see with the screen on. If you're anal about display issues (which I've found myself to increasingly be), you may also not be a fan of backlighting inconsistencies around the edges of the screen and of course the capacitive light bleed. I wish HTC had paid a little more attention to detail with the backlight apparatus and digitizer choice of the DNA as they apparently did with the One, but the vast majority of people in these forums seem to be fine with any issues if they're noticed at all. As for the battery life, I'd say it's about on par with my previous S3.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If you're talking about the diagonal lines that can be seen up close on a static screen as well then I think you're referring to the digitizer. Compared to other recent smartphones, the DNA digitizer is fairly easy to see with the screen on. If you're anal about display issues (which I've found myself to increasingly be), you may also not be a fan of backlighting inconsistencies around the edges of the screen and of course the capacitive light bleed. I wish HTC had paid a little more attention to detail with the backlight apparatus and digitizer choice of the DNA as they apparently did with the One, but the vast majority of people in these forums seem to be fine with any issues of they're noticed at all. As for the battery life, I'd say it's about on par with my previous S3.
I went to look at the phone and I could see the diagonal lines on that one too, so yeah, maybe it is the digitizer that I'm seeing. It also had a dead pixel, so I passed.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Played with an S4, kick *** phone but still same cheap, plastic build quality.
I am thinking after the HTC One & DNA, Samsung will be rethinking their "next big thing".

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Build quality on the S3/S4/Note2 is all plastic and it's all just fine. Metal doesn't make a good phone - good engineering does, and both Samsung and HTC have that down. Now if the Samsungs were falling apart or breaking due to poor design or materials, then you'd have an argument. But they aren't and you don't. I don't see Samsung changing how they make things any time soon. After all, Apple makes phones every bit as good as HTC and Samsung isn't bothering to follow their lead either.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
the lag on the s4 could be a ram problem. I've been seeing some chatter saying that it is kind of easy to overload the phone pretty quickly because TW takes up so much memory and ram. the report here on AC said TW took about 9GB of memory and some are saying that TW alone takes up about a gig of ram. that's kind of ridiculous if you ask me, features or no features.

Eh as likely as that may seem, unused RAM is wasted anyways. feel free to resort to this as a reference.

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

The phone shouldn't slow down. Mine is running at 1.31GB to the alotted space of 1.56GB. No difference in the processing speeds or any lag. if anything lags it's due to Sprint being the worst service available and nothing loads on my phone personally.

XenIneX

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Root and shutting off the capacitive button lights is number 1. HTC has had issues with this for a long time.
There's no need to root. Install Lux Auto Brightness {$3} (which you should do anyway; fabulous auto-brightness fine tuning app which lets you dim the screen below minimum brightness for night viewing), then turn off "Offscreen button backlight" in the app's general settings. Toggle the power off/on, and you're good to go.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Build quality on the S3/S4/Note2 is all plastic and it's all just fine. Metal doesn't make a good phone - good engineering does, and both Samsung and HTC have that down. Now if the Samsungs were falling apart or breaking due to poor design or materials, then you'd have an argument. But they aren't and you don't. I don't see Samsung changing how they make things any time soon. After all, Apple makes phones every bit as good as HTC and Samsung isn't bothering to follow their lead either.

I couldn't agree more. In fact have fun with your plastic case around your phone? and if you don't use that, then have fun with all the dents in the super thin aluminum..

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

How can you possibly think that you can speak for the masses? Maybe the plastic build quality does not matter to you but if it effects the buying decision of just one person...well than, it matters.
I would not buy another Samsung for this reason, therefore it matters.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
How can you possibly think that you can speak for the masses? Maybe the plastic build quality does not matter to you but if it effects the buying decision of just one person...well than, it matters.

Not to Samsung it doesn't lol. have fun with your plastic covered HTC. or better yet your dented aluminum if you don't use a case.. and okay Mr. Hypocrite. how does using aluminum make it a better build quality?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not to Samsung it doesn't lol. have fun with your plastic covered HTC. or better yet your dented aluminum if you don't use a case.. and okay Mr. Hypocrite. how does using aluminum make it a better build quality?

A bit touchy aren't we? Just saying that if the build quality (plastic) is a significant concern (valid or not) and it is a factor that effects buying decisions......it matters, whether you like it or not.
There are plenty of posts here and other sites that refer to the cheap plastic feel of the Samsung phones, sorry but it's an observation of fact (again whether you like it or not, doesn't change a thing).
Sorry my opinion of the Samsung product has dampened your day, wasn't meant to.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I speak as an engineer. Unless the Samsung phone is failing due to poor quality - and they aren't - then I'm sorry, you have no basis to call it poor quality. You may not LIKE it, but that doesn't mean it's poor quality. It's made from material YOU do not prefer and you have a mistaken impression that plastic is a poor choice for a phone. It's not. It's an excellent choice. It just doesn't feel as solid as heavy as metal does. But it withstands impact just as well, protects the internals just as well, lasts just as long. It's easier and less costly to produce and makes for a lighter phone. So you are welcome to your opinion of the FEEL of the phone - to you it feels better. But you cannot say with any real factual basis that it's not as good because you are, simply, wrong.

And I'm not speaking for the masses. I'm stating fact. The masses are often not terribly well informed when it comes to strength of materials or mechanical engineering, instead substituting subjective impressions for proper evaluation. In other words, if the masses also think the Samsung is inferior then the masses don't know what they are talking about. I will never argue that some materials don't feel better in the hand, but that doesn't mean a thing as to the actual quality of the device.

Personally I'd rather have a device that doesn't ding and dent when I look at it crosseyed. Aluminum is many things, but tough and resilient it isn't. I'm very sure the HTC phone chassis is a good one, but it's not physically and mechanically superior to the Samsung.

I'm reminded of some of the old Intellimouse Explorers. They had the same plastic shell the cheaper ones did, but to give the impression they were better the had a slab of steel glued inside to make them heavy. Note that they WERE better electronically and electromechanically. But tat had to do with the electroncis - not the chunk of metal, which was a marketing thing. A perception thing, And wholly misleading.

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I speak as an engineer. Unless the Samsung phone is failing due to poor quality - and they aren't - then I'm sorry, you have no basis to call it poor quality. You may not LIKE it, but that doesn't mean it's poor quality. It's made from material YOU do not prefer and you have a mistaken impression that plastic is a poor choice for a phone. It's not. It's an excellent choice. It just doesn't feel as solid as heavy as metal does. But it withstands impact just as well, protects the internals just as well, lasts just as long. It's easier and less costly to produce and makes for a lighter phone. So you are welcome to your opinion of the FEEL of the phone - to you it feels better. But you cannot say with any real factual basis that it's not as good because you are, simply, wrong.

And I'm not speaking for the masses. I'm stating fact. The masses are often not terribly well informed when it comes to strength of materials or mechanical engineering, instead substituting subjective impressions for proper evaluation. In other words, if the masses also think the Samsung is inferior then the masses don't know what they are talking about. I will never argue that some materials don't feel better in the hand, but that doesn't mean a thing as to the actual quality of the device.

Personally I'd rather have a device that doesn't ding and dent when I look at it crosseyed. Aluminum is many things, but tough and resilient it isn't. I'm very sure the HTC phone chassis is a good one, but it's not physically and mechanically superior to the Samsung.

I'm reminded of some of the old Intellimouse Explorers. They had the same plastic shell the cheaper ones did, but to give the impression they were better the had a slab of steel glued inside to make them heavy. Note that they WERE better electronically and electromechanically. But tat had to do with the electroncis - not the chunk of metal, which was a marketing thing. A perception thing, And wholly misleading.

You're saying plastic is just as strong and resilient as aluminum? Because I could list a lot of things that are made of aluminum that I would never want made of plastic.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member