Disappearing photos and ringtones

wingsp4n

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been working just fine until today. Starting this morning when I woke up, I no longer have any sounds or pictures on my phone. When I check for ringtones or notifications, the list is blank. If I got to the "add a ringtone" option, it tells me to insert and SD card, even though the card is already inserted. The same happens when I open the gallery and look for pictures...it says no photos or videos found. I checked under settings and it recognizes the card is there and accurately reports the available and total space.

I pulled the SD card and all of the pictures and ringtones are there, no problems. I tried wiping the SD card and moving the files back over...still no help. I tried a different SD card...still nothing.

Oddly, when I plug my phone into my computer, the option to mount as a disk drive no longer shows up (it was my default previously). Something strange is going on...and it's all of a sudden. Like I said, it all worked just fine yesterday and there was no out of the ordinary usage or updates.

My phone is bone stock, not rooted at all. Android version 2.3.4, HTC Sense version 2.1, Software number 4.08.605.3

Any thoughts on this one?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well start by copying off all the files from your sd card and the formatting it to fat32 then migrate everything back on. Try a battery pull. With the phone on pull out the battery wait 30 seconds put the battery back in and reboot. If that doesn't work then you are going to have to go to a factory reset of the phone. If that doesn't work then you call verizion technical support. tell the first person you get that you have re-formatted the sd card, tried a battery pull and tried a factory reset. None of those have solved your issue therefore it must be hardware issue and that the need to ship a replacement device out to you. Tech support level one may argue a bit. Tell them that if they have any further steps you haven't tried then you'd be more than happy to do them. They will have to admit there is nothing further that can be done and you will be getting a refurb device overnight from fedex.

bonkrood

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Well start by copying off all the files from your sd card and the formatting it to fat32 then migrate everything back on. Try a battery pull. With the phone on pull out the battery wait 30 seconds put the battery back in and reboot. If that doesn't work then you are going to have to go to a factory reset of the phone. If that doesn't work then you call verizion technical support. tell the first person you get that you have re-formatted the sd card, tried a battery pull and tried a factory reset. None of those have solved your issue therefore it must be hardware issue and that the need to ship a replacement device out to you. Tech support level one may argue a bit. Tell them that if they have any further steps you haven't tried then you'd be more than happy to do them. They will have to admit there is nothing further that can be done and you will be getting a refurb device overnight from fedex.

My phone has been doing exactly the same thing for a week now. I think I'm just a month outside the 1 year warranty period. I haven't had time reset to factory but I'm going to try to get that done tomorrow. I'm assuming the 1 year is up so I'm out luck?

If the warranty replacement can't happen,I may try to replace it on insurance since I'm outside my warranty window and anyway they may find water sensors tripped if I send it in.... phone took a very short bath like 4 months ago..... and seemed to have survived unscathed..... until now.