Rooted, now need some help please

rayzup478

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive me but still kind of a newbie to the whole rooting biz and I probably won't use the correct terminology. I rooted my phone before the VZ update to 2.3.4. Stupid me.....I ended up trying to do the update and of course my phone got stuck in that (blue exclamation android guy) stage. I tried to go back into the bootloader or whatever its called and went in to the backup and restore and chose the date the option which was the original date of the date I rooted my phone. Problem is that it restored it to all the settings that were pryor to root. So I ended up having all my bloatware back. Since I thought I may have lost root access, I tried to do the update to 2.3.4 thinking revolutionary would find a way to root that update however, I still got stuck in that same (blue exclamation android guy) stage. I assume its because I still have S-OFF. Questions I have are.....is the update to 2.3.4 worth it especially seeing how google talk doesn't have video? And if it is worth it, is there an easy way to deactivate the S-OFF since everything I've seen thus far requires alot of work. If its not worth the update, what is the best way to get my root back?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
When you get to the bootloader screen. Turn off fastboot. Shut the phone down. Turn it back on while holding the down volume rocker. At the white screen with the androids down the side what does it say at the top? Are you s-on or s-off?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So you still have root access when that screen was loaded did you have the option to go into recovery? The biggest part of that update is the new radio if you don't want to load a custom ROM there is an easy way to get the new radio image loaded. This biggest question right now is did your custom recovery get rewritten to the stock. So from the hboot screen if you can still get into recovery then everything should be good to go. If you can't get into recovery then there are a couple options and we can get the custom recovery reloaded.

rayzup478

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So you still have root access when that screen was loaded did you have the option to go into recovery? The biggest part of that update is the new radio if you don't want to load a custom ROM there is an easy way to get the new radio image loaded. This biggest question right now is did your custom recovery get rewritten to the stock. So from the hboot screen if you can still get into recovery then everything should be good to go. If you can't get into recovery then there are a couple options and we can get the custom recovery reloaded.

I can get in to recovery. I thought about going into either apply update from sdcard or install zip from sdcard. But both options said they could not be undone and was afraid of doing it. when I go into the apply update from sdcard menu....the "YES" option says install/sdcard/update.zip. the install zip from sdcard gives me a couple options. I believe when I first rooted it, the instructions said not to unzip the file. So I just want to make sure before I go any further.

rayzup478

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
After playing around in the recovery screen I was able to find the file I needed and have superuser capabilities again. Thank you very much vudumedic for your help, greatly appreciated!