When using Handcent????

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I did this but I notice that even though I do not receive the native pop up my in box is still full if I click onto the messages widget is there a way to turn off the native text totally?

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
No you just remove all original messaging widgets and shortcuts. It will still populate new texts, but as long as you turned off notifications it should be fine.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
No you just remove all original messaging widgets and shortcuts. It will still populate new texts, but as long as you turned off notifications it should be fine.
Won't all the messages stored under the stock message icon cause a lag in my phone eventually?

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted to like HandCent but it seemed to cause problems on my phone--so I uninstalled it.

What would happen is: I would receive an SMS message, HandCent would display a pop up (over the locked screen, btw), I would delete the message from that pop up; but later, when I unlocked my phone, the message would still be present in the notification area; then I would mistakenly try to open the message with the native messaging client but it would then freeze--presumably because it was trying to display a now deleted and non-existent message. I didn't see an obvious way to kill the messaging client task...and I wondered it if would cause my phone to become unstable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Bump. So, I followed everyone's directions and turned off notifications, but I still get audio notifications for both apps. Additionally, I also still get the stock SMS pop up when I get new texts, and I don't get anything from Handcent. Is there any way for me to fix these issues?

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issues. When I receive a text I get 2 notifications. One from the phone and the other from Handcent. I'd lke to not get the H notification and I turn it off, but I still get it. Two notifications are annoying.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm running the 8/31 froyo leak. I put Handcent on when I was on 2.1 and have had no problems since. I go into the stock messages app > menu > settings > "Received notifications" [uncheck]. I don't get any notifications from the stock app. I also unchecked the "Sent notification" in this menu.

As for "duplicating" messages, I'm not an android developer, but I'm going to say I'm 99.9% sure the Android OS pulls in the messages once and whatever app you are using just displays them. The stock app and handcent don't each have a copy of the message. The OS has one copy and the apps can read these.

If don't want he Handcent notifications for some reason, open the app, menu > Settings > Notification settings > Notifications [uncheck]

Last edited:

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
so emails and texts always share the same notification sound?

You should be able to set them separately. The key is to go into the app that you want to set the sound for and then hit menu-->settings and look for notification.

I just checked on my Dinc and I can set the text notification to one sound and the gmail to another. Hope this helps.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Like he said, go into both app's settings and set the notifications separately. Exit each app's settings page properly.

Don't use the phone's notifications setting. Works for me.

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been using handcent for a couple weeks now and I love it. You really have to take your time with the settings to get them right in order to avoid what your experiencing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch