how do i remove programs/apps that start each time phone is turned on?

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i power down and charge my phone each night. every time i turn it on there are a number of apps that start very few of which i need. is there a startup folder or some equivalent location from which i can remove these apps so they're not running every time the phone is powered on?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Need infoz:

1) What apps
2) do you mean preventing them from starting automatically -OR-
3) do you mean removing apps from the phone in general

and is there any particular reason you power down your phone? jw =]

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Need infoz:

1) What apps

voice dialer
fm radio
sodoku
music
color note
accu weather
footprints

there are other apps/widgets that also start (calendar, gmail, clock, etc) but i'm not looking to stop those.

2) do you mean preventing them from starting automatically -OR-
3) do you mean removing apps from the phone in general

preventing them from starting automatically. not interested in removing them from the phone (and know how to do that if i was), though i am removing accu weather in favor of the weather channel app. i just don't need all these running automatically when the phone is turned on.

and is there any particular reason you power down your phone? jw =]

habit mostly.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I suppose I would recommend advanced task killer off the market. I don't use it but it seems to have a following. But I think that a couple of those you mention(music, voice dialer) are part of the OS so they get loaded along with everything else. Out of all of those you mentioned, I only saw the FM radio in the "running services" list and I had been using it yesterday.

hope that helps

coach

May 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah, i have the task killer but prefer the system panel over task killer. ultimately, i can end the programs using one of the two, but would generally prefer some of them not be running in the first place. thanks though!

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how you can stop them from starting, but the app TaskPanel lets you auto-kill any application when the phone goes to sleep. I have it set so the Calendar is auto closed, which really helps battery life.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It is a OS thing android will run and kill things as needed. Not much u can do. If u search this topic is well covered through out the forums. U can use task killer but after u kill it the OS WILL just restart them.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Check the options, some apps have the auto run option there. For the rest of them don't worry about it, it still takes the phone 30 seconds give or take 10 seconds to boot regardless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87