tethering?

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Using your phone as a source of internet instead of an aircard. The big thing is doing it with out paying the extra $30 a month that Verizon charges. PDA net in the app store has a good track record for this. The other option is to use VZW Access but cost $$$$

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Pda net is great. VZW was charging me 60 bones a month for ever until tI learned how to tether..great like cake.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
PDAnet is very cool. I tend to pull customers aside when they get all poopie about not being able to tether on their motodroid or eris, then I show them the way.. ;)

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
so quick question, if you use pda net, then you dont have to pay for tethering correct? is there a way for vzw to find out that your doing this? sorry if i come off as a newb, ive never tethered before and i just dont want my bill to be astronomical. lol so any insight would be much appreciated.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
so quick question, if you use pda net, then you dont have to pay for tethering correct? is there a way for vzw to find out that your doing this? sorry if i come off as a newb, ive never tethered before and i just dont want my bill to be astronomical. lol so any insight would be much appreciated.

Read my guide here on AC forums discussing this exact topic and how to setup PDAnet, its linked in my sig. Enjoy!

pyroelite

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
& it you root, you can wifi tether (barnacle)... then again, I thought wifi tethering was supposed to become native with 2.2, so we'll see...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

giantcrazy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
& it you root, you can wifi tether (barnacle)... then again, I thought wifi tethering was supposed to become native with 2.2, so we'll see...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WiFi may be native in Froyo, but that doesn't mean that the stock build from carriers is going to enable it (or that you could tether for free).

That's why I ran quickly the second I saw someone rooted the DI. Friday afternoon, managed to root mine and the first thing I did (after removing that god awful CityID) was to install wifi-tether. Works like a charm!

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
WiFi may be native in Froyo, but that doesn't mean that the stock build from carriers is going to enable it (or that you could tether for free).

That's why I ran quickly the second I saw someone rooted the DI. Friday afternoon, managed to root mine and the first thing I did (after removing that god awful CityID) was to install wifi-tether. Works like a charm!

I agree. I don't think verizon is going to enable wifi tethering when froyo gets pushed out. Then again, I thought we would never see the end of only being able to use vznav on our phones when they rolled that out....but that isn't the case either.

I would bet in the future we will see a different verizon pricing for different levels of service and the ability to enable stuff like wifi tethering though. They can't keep forcing broadband connect plans down our throat forever lol.

jgurnett

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
+1 for Pdanet...been using it for over a month now and paid for the full version.

Anyone know how much is too much when using your data plan? What I mean is, I don't want Verizon to say I'm using too much data and put a cap on my plan, or anyone else's here.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
the limit is 5gb, so if you stay under that, you should be fine.
as for verizon catching on, i don't think they can. when i used to use "tether" app on my old BB, i thought tether makes all the internet requests look as if they are coming from your phone's browser instead of your computer.
if you noticed in the usage area on myverizon, there is a spot for data and another spot for mobile broadband access. if you use verizon's tethering, that 2nd count will go up as you use it. when i used tether, i only see my phone's data count go up. i have used as much as 1.5 GB in a month and nothing bad has happened.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You can tether out of the box no problem. You just have to pay for it.

If that's the case, then I don't understand the article. He said that by enabling the "Mobile Broadband Connect" option, he could 'use the Incredible's 3G connection to surf the web on his laptop, instantly saving $35 a month by dumping his aircard'. He didn't mention having to pay a surcharge. What am I missing? Assuming that option enables (wired only?) tethering, can it be enabled without incurring a VZW surcharge?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am still new to the andriod OS (had dinc a week) .But speaking on Froyo2.2 and WiFi I saw a vid where you could make your phone a WiFi hotspot.The box looked like the same type of box you tick when turning on WiFi.

My question is would that be free since its WiFi ? :confused:

For example if I used my dinc as a WiFi hotspot for other devices to connect to internet that way ,that would maybe be free ?

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Because the Air Card is more expensive then tethering........Use the app. PDA.NET it is free. Works perfect but on free version I believe you can't view secure sites.

Grasschopper

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't received my Incredible yet, but according to Top 10 ways the HTC Droid Incredible killed my iPhone envy | ZDNet, it sounds like the device can do tethering out-of-the-box. Am I misunderstanding something?

You can tether out of the box no problem. You just have to pay for it.

If that's the case, then I don't understand the article. He said that by enabling the "Mobile Broadband Connect" option, he could 'use the Incredible's 3G connection to surf the web on his laptop, instantly saving $35 a month by dumping his aircard'. He didn't mention having to pay a surcharge. What am I missing? Assuming that option enables (wired only?) tethering, can it be enabled without incurring a VZW surcharge?

CGWaters - When I was first looking at the DInc right after they came out the sales guy told me that it was the only phone on Verizon that could teather out of the box and not cost you the $30/mo they typically charge. That is one of the features that sold me on the phone...I don't have it yet (shipped today) so I can't confirm.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
CGWaters - When I was first looking at the DInc right after they came out the sales guy told me that it was the only phone on Verizon that could teather out of the box and not cost you the $30/mo they typically charge. That is one of the features that sold me on the phone...I don't have it yet (shipped today) so I can't confirm.

First thing in sales don't trust the salesman, was this a Corperate store rep that told you this?