Joining the Incredible ranks soon; need suggestions...

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My Incredible should be arriving next week (hopefully) and would like to know what are your two favorite apps and why. I'm especially interested in Google Goggles, Barcode Scanner, Fring, Skype and a Picasa app (3D gallery?).

Ideas?

TJH

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm going to answer you list of apps first. Mainly because I have tried most of them.

Googe Goggles: Wonderful bit of kit if you see things out a lot that you want more information about. Like bottle of wine, beer, food, or gifts. Really nice. What isn't so nice is you can't take pictures of like cars, clothes, or people to find out stuff. Eck....barcodes also don't work.

Barcode Scanner: Plan and simple, it works as describes and will give you online prices and some local prices on products. Freaking great when you are out and about looking for a good deal on things.

Skype: Sounds and works nicely, saves you minutes and large international charges. Works as expected on 3G and almost perfect on WiFi.

Now for my apps. DoggCatcher is in my opinion the must have app for anyone who listens to podcasts. It offers you everything you would expect in a pod catcher type application and it will auto update and download your shows. You can even tell it to only use your Wifi or a mix of Wifi and cell etc. It also has a very nice built in player, keeps track of how long in you have listen to or watched (yes it does video podcasts too) and has auto delete functionality. Well worth the money.

Touiteur, must have app for anyone who is a twitter nut. Supports customized account colors, multiple account, bit.ly url shortening with one button click, best updates options and doesn't kill the battery. The developer is highly active posts to his own site and twitter extremely frequently (note multiple time a day most times) has an artistic flare that really shows polish on his apps, and has its own unique look and feel. Hard to go wrong picking this one, plus the "paid" version in only like $2.

Games! You can't forget games. Jewels(bejewled clone), Solitaire, Scrambled Net, and throttlecopter to name a few. Perfect time wasters and they all run extremely well.

The best part of Android is most things in the market are free, or have limited free apps. So looking through the market and trying something new and different is super easy and always nice to discover something new. Welcome to the world of Android freaks, you'll be obsessed with it within hours.

ws6.baker

May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. Google Listen
2. NFL Mobile
haven't used doggcatcher but sounds like google listen does the same thing for free. just started using it so I'm still learning it but it looks like it will be my most used app.
Choosing only two is just rediculous.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice, if you've got an account and use it.

Google Listen.

Google Goggles.

I don't like the way Listen works.

I am currently using .PodKast for all my podcasts. They also have video podcasting as well.

I'd give it a try if you haven't already.

To add to the list.

Ustream viewer - live world cup games streamed
Adobe reader - good pdf reader by Adobe
Google Earth - just to be cool
dolphin browser. i like better then stock browser
twitter - htc has plenty of widgets(peep and friend stream) this was developed in conjunction with the Android team

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the way Listen works.

I am currently using .PodKast for all my podcasts. They also have video podcasting as well.

I'd give it a try if you haven't already.

I haven't tried it. I just went for Listen, off the bat. I'll give it a try.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it. I just went for Listen, off the bat. I'll give it a try.

i def would recommend it/ Listen gave me headcramps trying to get it to update correctly. Interface was blah too.

.Podkast is much better in my opinion.

I consider Listen to be one of Google's very few "bad products".

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i def would recommend it/ Listen gave me headcramps trying to get it to update correctly. Interface was blah too.

.Podkast is much better in my opinion.

I consider Listen to be one of Google's very few "bad products".

I find iTunes is the best overall way to manage podcasts. So I just use TuneSync. The link to the guide I wrote here on the AC forums is linked in my sig if you are interested in wireless music/video/podcast syncing with iTunes.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I find iTunes is the best overall way to manage podcasts. So I just use TuneSync. The link to the guide I wrote here on the AC forums is linked in my sig if you are interested in wireless music/video/podcast syncing with iTunes.

I just use mecanto for all my music. It's also free. Basically just streams all my Home desktop pc's music to my device. I have a 16gb card but I barely have it filled. Only 1gb of my music is needed when I dont have an adequate network connection.

Also if you are only interested in listening to podkast then there is no reason to have an entire synce with itunes. The app you suggested costs $4. The standalone podcast player I recommended is free.

I suppose, however that if syncing to itunes is appealing to you then this may be an option to consider.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google listen is the basic of the basic. .Podkast is pretty close to offering what Doggcatcher offers. And as far as iTunes goes it's a good solution if you already have everything setup, but I prefer a non-tethered solution to syncing podcasts and downloading them. YMMV and everyone's wants are different get out in the market and try things! There thousands of options for anything!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38