Are Viruises a Risk on Android OS ?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have not gotten my Incredible yet and I did not see this mentioned so I thought I would ask :p

Are viruises a risk on android operating system phones ? :confused:

I have been using a blackberry 8330 and have not had to worry about them so I wanted to know . Thanks :)

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Viruses are a risk on any operating system. Human generated code can usually be exploited in some manner.

Android however has not been exploited in any major ways so far.

I can't guarantee the future but as of today Android is not a big target for viruses.

That may all change one day but for the time being I wouldn't worry about it.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Viruses are a risk on any operating system. Human generated code can usually be exploited in some manner.

Android however has not been exploited in any major ways so far.

I can't guarantee the future but as of today Android is not a big target for viruses.

That may all change one day but for the time being I wouldn't worry about it.

+1
Any operating system is vulnerable. Apple claims they are not but they secretly released a OS X patch that included malware protection and avoided mentioning it in press releases because they want the public to think Macs are virus free.
The fact is as market share grows do will the need to compromise these systems.
The more private information is stored on these devices the more the need to collect data will become.
A misconception of malware (viruses, spare, highjackers) is not to kill your computer, but to collect data. Most malware would not serve their developer's purpose if the device if it just stopped working.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
+1

As stated above, no operating system is 100% safe. For the time being, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
In the Market is an app called Lookout that scans other apps (that you download) for safety. It also has a web component that can help you track your phone if it gets lost or stolen.