should i change to the Fascinate?

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The fascinate is a rebranded Galxy. just research the Galaxy and see if it does anything for you. the Galaxy is Samsung so no SenseUI on it.

Prospekt

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would stick to the Incredible. I just looked at the hands on pictures at the Android Central blog and see a lot of Bing on it. Who knows if that doodoo will be able to be uninstalled, seeing as how Verizon doesn't allow CityID to be uninstalled and how they force Bing as the default search engine on BlackBerrys.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would stick to the Incredible. I just looked at the hands on pictures at the Android Central blog and see a lot of Bing on it. Who knows if that doodoo will be able to be uninstalled, seeing as how Verizon doesn't allow CityID to be uninstalled and how they force Bing as the default search engine on BlackBerrys.

i don't care about Bing im sure they have Google it is an android device

aplittle

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I have not seen anything about the galaxy/fascinate that is alluring. I really dig the Inc, and while I did have a day or two that thought I might want to make the move to the X. I have since come to my senses and now I have no more doubts. I love my Inc.

Aaron

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wait until the Fascinate releases, then check it out in the store. Pictures and videos on the web don't tell the entire story. You may play around with it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread or that it doesn't compare to the Incredible. "Better" is in the eyes of the beholder. Bottom line, it only matters what you think, not what anyone on a forum or gadget blog thinks.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Concur about waiting and seeing. I missed my return window on the Dinc, but I'm still REALLY interested in the Fascinate. The Galaxy S is a monster and a true iPhone4 rival. It bests even the Droid X in benchmarks, has a more manageable 4" screen (compared to the EVO and Droid X), and the screen is flat gorgeous.

I've been watching the Galaxy S rumors since before I got my Incredible, but I pounced on the Dinc as soon as I was up for an upgrade. I told myself all along that I would probably use it for a month, then return it and drop back to my Storm until the Galaxy S (Fascinate) came out, then use that for a while and compare. I figured I could always go back to the Dinc if I didn't like the GS. And then HTC went and spoiled my plans by ditching the gorgeous AMOLED screen! That's half the draw of this device for me. I've seen SLCD, it doesn't compare to AMOLED. So now I'm stuck -- if I want the GS, I'll have to sell my "original AMOLED Droid Incredible" (ebay headline!) and pay full sticker for the GS...

But I'm right there with you...

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Okay, pros and cons of each device as I see it:

Dinc Pros
  • Gorgeous AMOLED screen
  • 3.7" screen is "big enough" but not "too big" (see Droid X)
  • Highly pocketable -- only a hair bigger than the iPhone
  • Sleek design
  • Sense UI
  • Will see upgrade to 2.2, and possibly to Gingerbread (it could happen)
  • In my hand!

Dinc Cons:
  • Snapdragon CPU/GPU (it's snappy in apps, but 3d gaming basically sucks)
  • Battery life
  • Not a 4" screen ;)
  • No HD video recording
  • No video out (right, right, "the dongle" -- if and when...)
  • Sense UI's odd performance/battery draining bugs
  • Complete lack of aftermarket support from VZW or HTC (see dongle, above)

Galaxy/Fascinate Pros
  • Extra Gorgeous Super AMOLED screen
  • 4" screen -- bigger, but still not a "big slab" EVO
  • Thin
  • Blazing speed thanks to monster Hummingbird CPU/GPU -- best available
  • 720p video recording
  • DLNA streaming (phone to DLNA device (PS3, etc))
  • 802.11n
  • Supposedly great battery life for an Android device

Galaxy/Fascinate Cons:
  • TouchWiz UI (ick -- and apparently can't be disabled per PhoneArena review)
  • Samsung "support"
  • Will see 2.2, but no way it will see Gingerbread
  • Might be a little too big -- WxH is only a hair smaller than the EVO
  • Battery life claims are all talk right now
  • Overall looks

Can you tell I'm agonizing??

Probably few sympathetic ears in these parts, but I needed to vent that...

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Lets just all hope and pray that once Verizon gets their hands on the Froyo update for our phones they don't pollute it with Bing.

Come to think of it, if Microsoft got sued for bundling their crap and not allowing you to remove it from Windows, why aren't these phone carriers getting hit with lawsuits as well? They can't make the argument that Bing is needed for the phone the work.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Lets just all hope and pray that once Verizon gets their hands on the Froyo update for our phones they don't pollute it with Bing.

Come to think of it, if Microsoft got sued for bundling their crap and not allowing you to remove it from Windows, why aren't these phone carriers getting hit with lawsuits as well? They can't make the argument that Bing is needed for the phone the work.

MS got sued for abusing their monopoly and forcing the bundling of the products. In this case, it's not a monopoly with the separate carriers and large selections of phones for each.

As for this phone in particular, I can see Super AMOLED being appealing but not enough for me to care to switch. I also enjoy Sense UI *gasp* and HTC is far better about updating these Android phones than Samsung has been so far.