How to tell if your phone is on or off

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
when the screen is off. This has to be my biggest gripe with this phone. In order for me to determine if I shut off my phone or not I have to hit the power button. The only problem with this is if I did turn it off I now have to wait until it reboots in order to shut it off again. I wish you could just hit the optical button to see if it is on or off. Anyone know if there is an app for this or if Froyo will have this type of feature.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I do not rely to much on my phone for phone calls. Mainly use it for the internet. I turn my phone on and off several times a day as I am not allowed to have my phone on while inside at work. I also do not carry my phone on me all day long so sometimes at night I cant remember if I turned it off or not.

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
With good widget use, you can do whatever you need without turning it off.

Of, you could try a program that automatically turns things off based on location.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I mostly turn off my phone while at work because I want to save my battery. I am not allowed to even bring my phone into the building I work in. Its really only a problem at night before I go to bed that I forget if I turned my phone off or not because while I sometimes turn it off when I get home I usually keep it on.
I know it sounds strange but I just think they should have used the optical sensor button to wake up the phone while asleep and the top power button to just shut it down and turn it on.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If your rooted there is a way to have the ability to wake the phone with the optical joystick but it won't power the phone on. Are you rooted?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing of root apps that use the optical sensor to wake the phone. I'm going too assume you work at lockheed or somewhere like that, which is why you need to keep it off.

UHF3

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to be rooted to use the optical joystick to activate the phone. Just install No Lock from the market, you can also use the volume rocker to activate the phone if you like and it gets rid of the pesky slide bar lock.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it really that hard to press the power button versus the optical joystick? Either way you've got two choices here, No Lock from the market, or use a one button root like unRevoked and install the joystick wake patch.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not rooted and do not intend to root so I guess I'm out of luck with the app you mentioned until Froyo gets released. Its not that its so hard to use the top power button but as I stated if I did turn my phone off and I hit the power button I now have to wait for the phone to boot up just to shut it down again.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not rooted and do not intend to root so I guess I'm out of luck with the app you mentioned until Froyo gets released. Its not that its so hard to use the top power button but as I stated if I did turn my phone off and I hit the power button I now have to wait for the phone to boot up just to shut it down again.

OK.....I would suggest working on a way to remember you turned it off. Have you tried sticky notes? Maybe attach one to it, or do what a buddy of mine does (he always puts his phone in the same place) place it face down if it's powered off, face up if its on. Simple effective and you can instantly remember.

UHF3

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
anicholas7, did you miss my post????

You DO NOT have to be rooted to use No Lock. I'm not rooted and I've been using since day 1 (or 6/29).

You don't have to be rooted to use the optical joystick to activate the phone. Just install No Lock from the market, you can also use the volume rocker to activate the phone if you like and it gets rid of the pesky slide bar lock.

doc 7

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

um, just tapping the power bar on top is enough to wake the phone if it is on the lock screen pops up if not then it is off i don't see the delemia it doesn't seem to be an issue ;)

Zabi#AC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
To power on the phone you have to long press the power button. If you tap the power button quickly, and the phone does not wake, then it is off.

I would like it if I could have the led flash like on my old blackberry.

nguyenhg

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, this may be a very stupid question, but how do you turn the phone (HTC Aria) off? Pushing the power button on top, either a short tap or a long hold, only puts it to sleep. Incoming calls and emails still come through. If I want to turn it completely off (for example, to save power during the night when I don't have a charger with me), what do I do?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, this may be a very stupid question, but how do you turn the phone (HTC Aria) off? Pushing the power button on top, either a short tap or a long hold, only puts it to sleep. Incoming calls and emails still come through. If I want to turn it completely off (for example, to save power during the night when I don't have a charger with me), what do I do?

You tried holding down the "end call button" to see if that turns it off yet ? ;)

edit found this in the Aria PDF manual
Turning off your phone
If you do not need to use your phone, you can turn the power off to save battery life.
1. If the display is off, press the POWER button to turn the display back on.
2. Unlock your phone if the Lock screen is displayed. See “Unlocking the screen” in this chapter for details.
3. Press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds.
4. When the Phone options menu appears, tap Power off.
5. Tap OK when prompted to turn off the phone

http://member.america.htc.com/downl...TC_Aria_ATT/100521_Liberty_ATT_English_UM.pdf <----- aria pdf manual

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer