Comprehensive backup app?

cabs hea

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Back in my BlackBerry days, if I ever lost a phone all I had to to was plug the new one into my computer, run Desktop Manager, and the whole phone (apps, settings, profiles, etc) would end up EXACTLY like the lost phone. Then again, that's provided I did a back up before I lost the phone.

Is there a back up app that will do the same for Android devices? I have Ti Backup Pro, but that just backs up my apps*. I have arranged all my apps, killed bloatware, installed Launcher Pro with custom arrangements... Basically, I have spent a lot of time tailoring the phone exactly how I want it. Anyway to save all this in the event I lose or break my phone?

*Where is this backup file saved? Do I need to store the backup file, created by Ti backup, on my desktop? Is it located on my CD card?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Only way to completely restore the phone to exactly the way it was is to root it with unrevoked and do a Nandroid Backup from the Recovery. It works like a champ. Rooting does not alter anything on your phone. It just gives you superuser privileges on the device.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Back in my BlackBerry days, if I ever lost a phone all I had to to was plug the new one into my computer, run Desktop Manager, and the whole phone (apps, settings, profiles, etc) would end up EXACTLY like the lost phone. Then again, that's provided I did a back up before I lost the phone.

Is there a back up app that will do the same for Android devices? I have Ti Backup Pro, but that just backs up my apps*. I have arranged all my apps, killed bloatware, installed Launcher Pro with custom arrangements... Basically, I have spent a lot of time tailoring the phone exactly how I want it. Anyway to save all this in the event I lose or break my phone?

*Where is this backup file saved? Do I need to store the backup file, created by Ti backup, on my desktop? Is it located on my CD card?

Just so you know you can create a .ZIP using TI Pro. Also as stated above Nandroid backup is a complete and full backup.

I came from a BB and Root + Nandroid is the way to go.

Install ROM Manager. Makes organizing and restoring a breeze.

zdsa1021

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I use MyBackup Pro. I'm not rooted. It saves all of your data and apps to your SD card and/or in an online account for access later. I hope this helps.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

The cool thing about rooting and doing the nandroid backup is that its like a snapshot of the entire phone and system at the moment you made it, right down to sms conversations. You can make them as often as you want but the files are pretty big, however, the other really cool thing is you can find them easily from your computer, then just move them off the phone so it isn't taking up all the room. I keep at least my latest nandroid stored on the phone but all other previous ones i keep in a file on my macbook. To me it's worth rooting (and yes voiding the warranty, hey I've had this thing since launch day am I really going to try and take it back??) just so you can make whole system backups.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The cool thing about rooting and doing the nandroid backup is that its like a snapshot of the entire phone and system at the moment you made it, right down to sms conversations. You can make them as often as you want but the files are pretty big, however, the other really cool thing is you can find them easily from your computer, then just move them off the phone so it isn't taking up all the room. I keep at least my latest nandroid stored on the phone but all other previous ones i keep in a file on my macbook. To me it's worth rooting (and yes voiding the warranty, hey I've had this thing since launch day am I really going to try and take it back??) just so you can make whole system backups.

where are the nanorid backups kept on the card's location?

cabs hea

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did a nandroid backup. What happens when I upgrade to the Thunderbolt, will I be able to load the nandroid backup that I did on my DINC on to the Thunderbolt?

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No. What you could do is backup all of your apps with Titanium Backup. Then when you get your Thuderbolt, put your Sd card in the new phone and Restore Apps Only (no system data). Some things still might not work, but you will have done all you can do in that regard.

(AFAIK) :)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I did a nandroid backup. What happens when I upgrade to the Thunderbolt, will I be able to load the nandroid backup that I did on my DINC on to the Thunderbolt?

Can't do it due to it being a completely different phone. If it was from an Inc to another rooted Inc yes, but not to a dissimilar phone. Also, to use titanium to restore your apps as suggested above your thunderbolt would have to be rooted and I don't think that has happened yet. Some phones and things get rooted before they've been released but I don't think the thunderbolt is one of them.