The Awesome Power of...Rice?

coolkatz321

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had always thought this was a myth, but I'll start with a fun story, first:

I was out last night with a bunch of my friends, and we were at a booth in the bar, talking, chatting, etc. I was trying to show my friends a picture on my phone and handed it to her across the table. She was looking at the picture and then...proceeded to drop it directly into her beer. My Incredible was totally submerged! I grabbed it out and started wiping it down...it appeared to work but then was completely dead about 20 minutes later. Still being semi-coherent, I removed the battery from the phone and put it in my pocket.

When I got home around 1 (the incident happened at 11:30 or so), I immediately put the phone in a bag of rice. I had always heard stories about wet electronics being okay after spending a few hours in rice (you know, because it absorbs the water), so I thought I had nothing to lose.

Well, needless to say, I pulled it out this morning, spent about 10 minutes removing the grains from the SD card slot (what?!), and pushed the power button. Guess what? IT TURNED ON! My Incredible made it through a beer dunk and is working fine! Guess it just goes to show you all about the awesome power of rice.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You'll probably still want to open it up or bring it somewhere to get it cleaned up. If you diy, you want to swab down everything with alcohol (no the beer didn't count Lol). The rice trick is great and all you need for a dip but other beverages leave behind whatever wasn't water. The beer residue will start to smell and possibly gum up the phone.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

xvflutop

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The rice trick will only work if there haven't been any shorts created by the liquid in your phone. If it ever happens again, to this phone or future phones, as soon as you get it out of the liquid pull the battery and start the process of drying it out. That way you prevent the possible shorts and corrosion that will brick your phone permanently. Of course if a short does occur then the rice will only be good for eating.

coolkatz321

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I saved my phone...even though it was a couple of hours prior to me putting it in the rice, I removed the battery immediately.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I actually dropped my Dinc in a puddle once. It wasn't totally submerged, but there was visible condensation in the camera glass. A few hours later, the condensation had gone away and the phone was fine.

06cbrf4i

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I have dropped mine in water before. I immediately pulled the battery and put the phone in a small bag or rice for a while, all was well. You might want to clean your phone out or pay someone to do it since it was beer that your phone was submerged in.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
After a night of drinking, having the thought about the rice was a good thing... Well done...

Am I the only one who wants Beer Rice now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non