Zram: How to use?

adamklo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As the title suggests, I'm unsure of how (or even why) to use zram. I know it helps with ram partitions, but beyond that I'm stuck; especially with how to enable/adjust it.

Any help?

Fas as Fas can be, you'll never crash me!

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
It's basically virtual RAM from what I understand (like the SWAP space on a linux install) - sets disk space to be set aside to be used as "backup RAM" of sorts.

Best suggestion is to read the instructions linked on the first post of imoseyon's lean kernel thread - [Kernel][Gb][Tw][Eh09/ei20][Voodoo] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (V2.0.1, 11/17/11) - RootzWiki

I simply enabled it via Terminal Emulator:
su
zram enable

But there are ways to adjust the size etc. I'm just using the default size for now.

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Did it do anything for you?

It does help in combination with KGB kernel that has adjusted the lowmemorykiller in the android system.

after you enable the ZRAM you enter into your file explorer go to the ETC>init.d, then open the zram file as text editor. The number will list 4500000 or something close.

This basically means 45MB of Virtual RAM. I have it set to 64MB, one person is running 128MB.

after you change the file save and exit.

Now you have more zram. If you are not sure if your changes took effect, go to TE and type "free" (without quotes) it will show you the swap _ _ _ _ that will tell you how much zram you are using.

Enjoy