Apps that are safe to remove once rooted

thrillhouse847

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I try and move a .apk file from system/app to sdcard it remains in system/app folder as well as a copy moving to the sdcard. And I am not selecting copy instead of move. I'm using root explorer but this is my first rooted phone so I'm fairly inexperienced. Any advice would be appreciated.

I restarted my phone a couple of times (literally twice) and now this problem seems to have fixed itself. So you can now disregard this inquiry.

Last edited:

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If an you placed a * to above has a corresponding ODEX file you can safely move both to the SD card.

------------

I have updated post #1 significantly. There are now descriptions for each of the APK's I renamed, and a list of suggested alternatives.

I'm having problems moving the files over. I'm new to this and when I move the file I'm getting a "cross device link" error. How can I get this to work? Thanks!

steelval3

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my phone and installed Root Explorer (awesome, thanks for the suggestion Cory). I renamed a lot of the apps with the ".old" and that was great... but my RAM is still at 240MB. Will renaming the apps cause the RAM to decrease? Is there any easy way to lower that RAM number while still being safe for a future OTA? Or did renaming them lower my RAM, but I've just got so many other programs running that it's still high?

Sorry for the n00b questions... but help is appreciated

poulosjr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Once rooted, you might want to get rid of some of the Verizon Bloatware that came pre-installed on the phone.

1) Before you start making changes, I would strongly recommend backing up your device with a program like Titanium Backup (also in the market).
2) Instead of deleting files, I would recommend renaming them from <filename.apk> to <filename.apk.old> For example, there's a file called Blockbuster_Stub_v0_2_build_12-unsigned-signed.apk in the system/app folder. If you long press on this file, in root explorer, you have the option of renaming it. Select this and add .old to the end. Once you do this, it will no longer show up in your app drawer and there will be no trace of it starting up with the OS.
3) Alternatively, you could move these files to your SD card if you don't want them eating up space in your system folder. But do not delete these files. Over in the X forum, we learned that an OTA update would fail, because files we considered bloatware didn't exist. The system folder had to be exactly the way it was when the phone shipped.
4) Before you rename or move an app in the /system/app folder, check the list below. If it is not listed, or you are unsure if it is safe to modify, please ask first. Another lesson we learned with the Droid X is that there are several files in the system/app folder, that we thought fell in the bloatware category. They were actually essential apps in order for the phone to run. For example, renaming the Verizon Backup APK bricked the phone.
5) All that said, here are is a list of things I've successfully renamed without problems:

• Blockbuster: Blockbuster_Stub_v0_2_build_12-unsigned-signed.apk
  • Stock web browser: Browser.apk
  • Subscription based (2.99 per month) app that displays city & state information for incoming calls: CityID_1.0.27_vzw.sch.i500_12118-release.apk
  • Bing Search App: I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk
  • My Verizon account information app: I500_MyVerizon_05202010.apk
  • Samsung File Explorer: MyFiles.apk
  • Need for Speed Limited demo version: NFSSInstallerSamsungEmbed_1.1.64.apk
  • Amazon Kindle: redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
  • App that links to download and install Tetris: TetrisInstallerSamsungEMBED.apk
  • VCast ringtones app: i500_VCASTTones_QA_060310_1436.apk
  • VCast video app: VCastVideo.apk
  • VCast music app: VCastMusic.apk
  • VZNavigator: vnav_4.7.0.258_i500_rel_PROD_signed.apk
  • Write & Go: WriteandGo.apk
  • Verizon Instant Messaging Client: Final_Schi500_3.0.3.3_07262010.apk
  • ThinkFree Office: ThinkDroid.apk
There will be others, I'm sure, but I won't be the first to try. Definitely nothing that has TW or Touchwiz in it.

If there are additional apps that you have successfully renamed or moved, please post them in this thread.

Suggested alternatives:

• Instead of the built in browser use Dolphin HD.
  • Use Google Maps with Navigation instead of VZ Navigator.
  • Buy apps through the Amazon MP3 store instead of the VCast music app.
  • Convert movies using DVD Catalyst 3, then transfer to your SD card instead of using the VCast video app.
  • Use Google Search or Vlingo (really cool search app) instead of Bing.
  • For local file browsing try Astro Explorer instead of My Files. If rooted use Root Explorer.
  • Search AppBrain for a free caller ID - instead of the subscription based CityID app.
  • Instead of ThinkFree use Documents To Go.
  • Instead of the Verizon IM client (which only works over Verizon's 3G network) search AppBrain for an IM client app and/or stick to the built in Gtalk application.

If i have removed some of the files that were listed on here and have not renamed them, can I get them back individually through the system dump?

shanky

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my phone and installed Root Explorer (awesome, thanks for the suggestion Cory). I renamed a lot of the apps with the ".old" and that was great... but my RAM is still at 240MB. Will renaming the apps cause the RAM to decrease? Is there any easy way to lower that RAM number while still being safe for a future OTA? Or did renaming them lower my RAM, but I've just got so many other programs running that it's still high?

Sorry for the n00b questions... but help is appreciated

Is there a reason you want the number to be lower? I'm running at 270 MB and still running smoothly. Also, I have the lag fix applied, so that may help.

Normally you'd want background applications running to get full functionality (widgets, application updates, etc.), but if you want the number to be lower you can kill anything you want.

I guess I cam from BlackBerry so I'm used to rebooting once a day to refresh the RAM.

poulosjr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I need a little help re running the backup assistant...i didnt do a full backup beforehand and did not create a zip from the backup! I did remove backup assistant and a couple others that were mentioned in here to not remove...i have the system dump zip on my computer i have also copied and paste all the odex and apk files to my sd card in a folder named VerizonAPK by doing this will it be easy to reinstall the stock apk's ive deleted and then do a full backup, create a backup zip file then remove what is listed on this site?

Remnant 14

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
@shanky
what are you doing so well to manage your memory like that? i haven't gone above 150mb since i bought this phone. even after rooting it, i have no idea how to minimize memory usage by apps... they keep respawning like Zergs.

nycdoc

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
hi,
im a newbie to all of this and just rooted my fascinate. could someone give a step by step way to remove the bloatware in terms an idiot would understand.

thanks
jw

wowc8

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
noob question

Here is the script it will automatically remove all files from the directory and put them on your sdcard under backupapps

To run this file you should know at least a little bit of adb or know how to copy

adb push backup.txt /sdcard/backup.sh
adb shell
su
sh backup.sh

Just make sure you hit allow on your phone and ignore any errors that say couldn't retain ownership permission

This removes all the files from corys post except
Browser
Myfiles
ThinkDroid

Hey man... this is my first driod and I'm not horribly knowledable with bourne scripts. Just wondering if you could help me understand the line of code in your script "mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system" I don't understand whats happening after the -t... just curious ;)

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm having problems moving the files over. I'm new to this and when I move the file I'm getting a "cross device link" error. How can I get this to work? Thanks!

Was able to get this working via Super Manager. I have another question/suggestion. It's safe to remove a bunch of these Live Wallpapers, right?

Edit: Also safe to remove LatinIME?

nycdoc

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
moving files

i have moved files into the sd card. i read to free up memory , you should rename the apk to bak (or something equivalent). what do you do for the programs that have a apk and odex files i.e. buddies now

geocomp

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen any mention of how to remove the AllShare bloatware.

Also there is a file in /system/app/ called i500_411Search-debug_20100604_KST.apk. I put a .old behind the apk but could not tell if it did anything.

Does anybody know anything about these programs/files?

wowc8

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Crap! I might have done something bad... I think I copied my thinkfree.apk over my MyFiles.odex.old file... Would someone be able to see what the size of the MyFiles.odex file is supposed to be and what the thinkfree.apk is supposed to be? My MyFiles.odex file is 5.05 MB... Any help would be great :)

wowc8

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
did you already backup using Titanium or another backup tool? Try restoring that file.

I've tried several times to back up my missing applications plus the data, but every time I do this with titanium backup all that I get is an icon for the application that doesn't work. Also, none of the .apk files are restored back into the system/app file for some reason... thanks for the quick response.

badmf222

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone successfully removed or renamed any other bloatware? I would love to know if apps such as Daily Briefing and Buddies Now can safely be renamed. I'm too chicken to even touch any of those since they may be an integrated service for TW.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone successfully removed or renamed any other bloatware? I would love to know if apps such as Daily Briefing and Buddies Now can safely be renamed. I'm too chicken to even touch any of those since they may be an integrated service for TW.

Renaming the TW Widgets should be fine - as long as it's a Widget - which both of those are. The thing is, if they aren't installed on one of your homescreens, then they aren't running, which means renaming them isn't really doing anything for you. If you want to move them to your SD card to save space, that might be the most fruitful option.

cdodge

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is the script it will automatically remove all files from the directory and put them on your sdcard under backupapps

To run this file you should know at least a little bit of adb or know how to copy

adb push backup.txt /sdcard/backup.sh
adb shell
su
sh backup.sh

Just make sure you hit allow on your phone and ignore any errors that say couldn't retain ownership permission

This removes all the files from corys post except
Browser
Myfiles
ThinkDroid

when i run the sh backup.sh i get cannot open backup.sh error. All the other commands worked.

Any ideas?