naming of rom and kernel zips for flashing

riceje7

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
new to flashing roms and kernels but i was wondering if the zip file HAS to be named update.zip AND be located in the root of the sdcard? or can i have multiple zips in a folder all named different things and just navigate to the zip i want to flash in CWR? also if the former is the case can you explain why?

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
new to flashing roms and kernels but i was wondering if the zip file HAS to be named update.zip AND be located in the root of the sdcard? or can i have multiple zips in a folder all named different things and just navigate to the zip i want to flash in CWR? also if the former is the case can you explain why?

None of the ROMs or Themes or Kernels that are currently available will be named update.zip... or will be required to named update.zip

If you are using a version of Clockwork Mod Recovery - (CWM Orange, one version of red and green[old]) - that IS update.zip and must remain on the root of the card.. Don't rename any of your downloaded files update.zip and then drop on the root of the sdcard unless there are specific instructions to do so by the developer.

ROMs, Themes, and kernels will be labeled by the developer to identify them.. they will not be labeled update.zip. That is reserved for either the update (from Samsung/Verizon) or.. CWM versions that use that file.

You can absolutely keep different zips in different subfolders - I have one for Kernels, One for ROMs, and one for Themes on my sdcard..