[How To][Links] Themes, ROMs, Kernels, Boot Animations: 9-16-11

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No. (corrected in Edit) - it was not the kernel it was the ROM.. The EC01 debloated ROM requires a an established TouchWhiz ROM to reside upon to be effective.. you would have to flash either SC2.9.2 or the EC01 Stock ROM to get the proper base.

Edit: After re-reading your post with fresher eyes.. the answer is 'Yes'.. it would have worked fine..

I appologize for the first answer... I really have to get out more.

Lol thank you :)

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
With some more tinkering I have isolated the old music icon from 2.9.2 and have been able to upload it on the dock of my LP. I wasn't able to change the icon for the app, but I was able to assign the old icon as a custom icon in LP. So now I have the old music icon in the dock of my LP. Not a great fix, but a patch...

That is cool!

This kind of experimentation is learning ... next stop - full on themeing..

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
That is cool!

This kind of experimentation is learning ... next stop - full on themeing..

Haha.. Not for me man. The shot at theme-ing left me in a dizzy. I am rather pleased about getting the music icon on the dock. I am working on the Clock, next. If you come across someone in here who needs a copy of the icon or another and they're willing to use LP to get it on the homescreen, let me know and I"ll pm you the .png file I made. Like I said, you can do it, it just takes some tinkering. :)

shoestring789

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
JaeKar99
I recently read and re-read your post on installing boot animations. I am VERY new to rooting and flashing, but catch on fairly quick. I have a fascinate thats rooted and flashed to 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32.9 and build EB01 and I used Odin3 to do the flash. I know...pretty basic. But I am wanting a particular boot animation. I downloaded the zip and renamed it. I went in and just deleted my original bootanimation.zip using Root Explorer. I then copied and pasted it but when selecting paste, it would never show up. So I assumed it had to be flashed. So, this is where I dont really know the lingo, so I will simplify it by just telling you what I did.
Took battery out and put back in, held vol up and down and power and it booted to recovery (blue letters). I selected apply sdcard:update.zip. It then went to the CWM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery (red letters). I selected install zip from sdcard, then choose zip, then I selected my zip, then yes to install, and it installed. Then I hit the menu which took me back to the CWM Recovery and I selected reboot now.
I have since rebooted 5 times and still no custom animation?!
WHAT AM I NOT DOING RIGHT!!??
Please advise!

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
JaeKar99
I recently read and re-read your post on installing boot animations. I am VERY new to rooting and flashing, but catch on fairly quick. I have a fascinate thats rooted and flashed to 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32.9 and build EB01 and I used Odin3 to do the flash. I know...pretty basic. But I am wanting a particular boot animation. I downloaded the zip and renamed it. I went in and just deleted my original bootanimation.zip using Root Explorer. I then copied and pasted it but when selecting paste, it would never show up. So I assumed it had to be flashed. So, this is where I dont really know the lingo, so I will simplify it by just telling you what I did.
Took battery out and put back in, held vol up and down and power and it booted to recovery (blue letters). I selected apply sdcard:update.zip. It then went to the CWM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery (red letters). I selected install zip from sdcard, then choose zip, then I selected my zip, then yes to install, and it installed. Then I hit the menu which took me back to the CWM Recovery and I selected reboot now.
Please advise!

In root explorer do you have R/W mounted with Superuser access?

Also what bootanimation do you want on your phone?

EDIT- flash this through odin http://www.multiupload.com/SHV23CASBP
This is red recovery, this is the latest recovery, it boots right into red without blue

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
JaeKar99
Please advise!

You don't rename the boot animations you flash through CWM. You leave them named as they are named. You don't use Root Explorer to try and paste the flashable boot animations. Simply download the file, place it on your sd card, boot to CWM, choose install zip from sd card, choose zip from sd card, choose you file, install it, reboot.

EDIT - But first follow pikante's advice about flashing the newest CWM through ODIN.

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You don't rename the boot animations you flash through CWM. You leave them named as they are named. You don't use Root Explorer to try and paste the flashable boot animations. Simply download the file, place it on your sd card, boot to CWM, choose install zip from sd card, choose zip from sd card, choose you file, install it, reboot.

EDIT - But first follow pikante's advice about flashing the newest CWM through ODIN.

I think he meant he tried to use the copy method, and it didn't work. So he just tried to flash it through CWM.

But idk what bootanimation he wants, so I don't know if he has to copy it or flash it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Good question pikante. Shoestring, which bootanimation are you trying to install? Let us know that and we can tell you the steps to use.

shoestring789

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
In root explorer do you have R/W mounted with Superuser access?

Also what bootanimation do you want on your phone?

EDIT- flash this through odin Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
This is red recovery, this is the latest recovery, it boots right into red without blue

Yes, it says r/w mounted and I gave it superuser access. Also, the animation is, which I forgot the name, is the one with the Android character that hooks the Apple logo with a cane and pulls it off the screen??
Also, I tried downloading that file, but it keep redirecting me to another file? Can I locate that somewhere else? And remind me again what I need to do to flash it with Odin?

EDIT - I do know it is a flash only install. But I tried both ways for the hell of it

Sorry for the stupidity of it all...but again, its all new to me. Just hated the stock 2.1 that this phone had!

EDIT #2 - I just reflashed to the red. I figured that much out! Gonna try again on the bootanimation

Last edited:

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it says r/w mounted and I gave it superuser access. Also, the animation is, which I forgot the name, is the one with the Android character that hooks the Apple logo with a cane and pulls it off the screen??
Also, I tried downloading that file, but it keep redirecting me to another file? Can I locate that somewhere else? And remind me again what I need to do to flash it with Odin?

EDIT - I do know it is a flash only install. But I tried both ways for the hell of it

Sorry for the stupidity of it all...but again, its all new to me. Just hated the stock 2.1 that this phone had!

Okay you need to flash this bootanimation in CWM. But first ODIN CWM ALL.

Is the zip file your downloading say, FunnyApple.zip?

If so wait the 40 seconds to be up then download, place it on your sd card and flash it through CWM. (Don't change the name of the zip)

EDIT-how to odin, post 3 on DXC all in one page

Last edited:

shoestring789

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay you need to flash this bootanimation in CWM. But first ODIN CWM ALL.

Is the zip file your downloading say, FunnyApple.zip?

EDIT-how to odin, post 3.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/59348-odin-froyo-leaked-packaged-custom-roms-w-root-clockwork-updated-3-25-a.html

If so wait the 40 seconds to be up then download, place it on your sd card and flash it through CWM. (Don't change the name of the zip)

Yes, its FunnyApple. I have reflashed the correct CWM and installed the zip as it is named. Still, no animation?!?

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

EDIT #2 - I just reflashed to the red. I figured that much out! Gonna try again on the bootanimation

Tell me how it turns out.

shoestring789

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I went back into my root directory and examined the bootanimation zip that is showing. I viewed the pnd files and they are "showing" the funnyapple animation, but its still booting up with the stock verizon/fascinate animation. Confusing!

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
All Ive done is flashed the EB01 Froyo.

Hm maybe the stock froyo kernel does not support bootanimations.

im going to try the animation with my phone and tell you if it works.

*EDIT- It worked fine for me. If I would have to take a guess I would say the kernel you are running does not support bootanimations. That is easily fixed by flashing another kernel on the first page of this thread. I'm running on Comavolt voodoo. But for you, I would say to flash Comavolt nonvoodoo, then try to flash the bootanimation and see how it goes.

Last edited:

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hm maybe the stock froyo kernel does not support bootanimations.

im going to try the animation with my phone and tell you if it works.

It works its my everyday boot animation have had it since day one when Jae put it up for me. Shoestring, try this http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...-clockworkmod-recovery-w-screen-captures.html
Make sure to follow post number 5 to a T! I think your getting hung up somewhere. Make sure to hit search button to go back instead of "apply sdcard:update.zip", I know that was screwing me up for a while when i first started. so make sure to go back with search button than "reboot system now" Hope that helps

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It works its my everyday boot animation have had it since day one when Jae put it up for me. Shoestring, try this http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...-clockworkmod-recovery-w-screen-captures.html
Make sure to follow post number 5 to a T! I think your getting hung up somewhere. Make sure to hit search button to go back instead of "apply sdcard:update.zip", I know that was screwing me up for a while when i first started. so make sure to go back with search button than "reboot system now" Hope that helps

It worked fine for me too. I'm thinking the stock froyo kernel does not support bootanimations.

Also menu button not search :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty