[How To][Links] Themes, ROMs, Kernels, Boot Animations: 9-16-11

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
im curious about the screen shots i see when looking at previews of themes with the 5 dock spots such as app contacts phone browser and messaging at the bottom of the screen it looks alot cleaner is that part of a theme or voodoo (im running 2.9.1nv) or is it launcher pro and if its launcher pro how well does it run ive read good and bad things about the way it interacts with 2.9/2.9.1 any advice would b greatly appreciated thanks

That's LP, and I've only had a few minor bumps with it.

Reactions: T3CH9ICIAN

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
im curious about the screen shots i see when looking at previews of themes with the 5 dock spots such as app contacts phone browser and messaging at the bottom of the screen it looks alot cleaner is that part of a theme or voodoo (im running 2.9.1nv) or is it launcher pro and if its launcher pro how well does it run ive read good and bad things about the way it interacts with 2.9/2.9.1 any advice would b greatly appreciated thanks

What you are looking at likely ADW Launcher - it is free from the market. Or it could be Launcher Pro..

In ADW you can modify your dock appearance to 3 or 5 icons, and you can make it transparent.

There is also Launcher Pro (free and paid version available on the market). It has similar options for dock appearance. Like Landshark said - there have been some issues with it's function.

Both give you more options for modification of the desk top. I have used both but prefer ADW...

Try one or both out - what is great is that you can aways uninstall.

Edit: Sorry Landshark.. I didn't see you posting there..

Last edited:
Reactions: T3CH9ICIAN

All4TheFam

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have Launcher Pro installed on both of our SC2.9 fascinates, and 2 rooted w/lag fix Tabs, and have had no issues on any of the devices. I also have spb shell installed on my SF and switch between LP and spb all the time with no issues and no freeze ups. The LP i used on all devices was, um borrowed from NitroDark Eclipse theme (thanks nitroglycerine33) I am actually running the theme but wife is running Purple Myst.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have Launcher Pro installed on both of our SC2.9 fascinates, and 2 rooted w/lag fix Tabs, and have had no issues on any of the devices. I also have spb shell installed on my SF and switch between LP and spb all the time with no issues and no freeze ups. The LP i used on all devices was, um borrowed from NitroDark Eclipse theme (thanks nitroglycerine33) I am actually running the theme but wife is running Purple mist.

You and I are apparently symptom free. I had no issues with it either... I know that there have been reported issues with databases not clearing or formating properly switching between themes while using Launcher Pro.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
when installing a new rom, it says it is recommended to wipe cache, dalvic cache and data...

Is the "data" wipe referring to the factory reset option?

Just want to make sure.... thanks!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
as in 2.9.1 to 2.92? no data wipe/factory reset is necessary?

Correct, but even more that that. You know when you look in your about phone section and you see the baseband and build, and how right now both say EB01? Well that EB01 is the "leaked" Froyo build we have been playing with. Every version of superclean since 2.0 has been an EB01 build. For a short time before EB01 we had another leaked build DL30. Before that were the Eclair builds EA28 and DL09, going backward chronologically. As long as you are going from one version of the same build letter and number combination to another version of the same letter and number combination, you don't need to wipe data, and may be ok without wiping cache and dalvik, but it basically never hurts. When going from one build, say EA28 to another, say EB01, you have to wipe all three. So within the same build no wiping for the most part, from one build to another, wipe it all. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Last edited:

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Correct, but even more that that. You know when you look in your about phone section and you see the baseband and build, and how right now both say EB01? Well that EB01 is the "leaked" Froyo build we have been playing with. Every version of superclean since 2.0 has been an EB01 build. For a short time before EB01 we had another leaked build DL30. Before that were the Eclair builds EA28 and DL09, going backward chronologically. As long as you are going from one version of the same build letter and number combination, you don't need to wipe data, and may be ok without wiping cache and dalvik, but it basically never hurts. When going from one build, say EA28 to another, say EB01 you have to wipe all three. So within the same build no wiping for the most part, from one build to another, wipe it all. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

perfect explanation... EXACTLY what I was looking to learn. Land Shark, once again, comes through for me... many thanks

Sheepdog: thanks to you as well

Reactions: Aotek 42

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In Post #9 of this thread there is a process of extracting the "bootanimation.zip" file from a theme..

Chances are also good that the boot animation already present (labeled differently) - on the links page. - I will post the link here when I establish which on it is..

Edit: NitroDark v3 Boot animation is AndroidParticles1 Green - Preview || Download

Download file - it must be renamed: bootanimation.zip and then use Method B to install..
That should get you what you want.

So I tried following the steps in method B to change the boot animation. I am using Super Manager as my file explorer. Well, when I go to the theme zip file, the file itself is there, however, it does not have the zip icon and clicking on it does not let me get "into" the file. Not sure what I am doing wrong... thoughts anyone?

Sent by use of The Force

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
So I tried following the steps in method B to change the boot animation. I am using Super Manager as my file explorer. Well, when I go to the theme zip file, the file itself is there, however, it does not have the zip icon and clicking on it does not let me get "into" the file. Not sure what I am doing wrong... thoughts anyone?

Sent by use of The Force

You will need to extract the (bootanimation.zip) file, from the theme, on your computer then copy/transfer that file to your sdcard... I use either 7zip or WinRAR to extract the file. Prefer 7zip.

Then use the file manager to copy/paste to the system/media folder.

Last edited:

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You will need to extract the (bootanimation.zip) file, from the theme, on your computer then copy/transfer that file to your sdcard... I use either 7zip or WinRAR to extract the file. Prefer 7zip.

Then use the file manager to copy/paste to the system/media folder.

Ah... ok, somehow I missed that part... no idea why! But thanks... will try that.

Is this possible with other aspects of themes as well? For instance... I am now using Ultimate Honeycomb, which I love.... except I liked the taskbar icons and notofaction drop down menu icons better from my previous theme Nitro Dark Eclipse.

Sent by use of The Force

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Ah... ok, somehow I missed that part... no idea why! But thanks... will try that.

Is this possible with other aspects of themes as well? For instance... I am now using Ultimate Honeycomb, which I love.... except I liked the taskbar icons and notofaction drop down menu icons better from my previous theme Nitro Dark Eclipse.

Sent by use of The Force

Those parts can be modified but it requires some additional tools and guidance. If I might suggest if you really want to get going on some theme modifications you should check out this thread.

As you explore threads you will find that some modifications and changes are simple and just require extraction and copying.. others require a bit more work.

Reactions: JOrtenzi

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Those parts can be modified but it requires some additional tools and guidance. If I might suggest if you really want to get going on some theme modifications you should check out this thread.

As you explore threads you will find that some modifications and changes are simple and just require extraction and copying.. others require a bit more work.

Thanks, I will give that thread a nice read

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
What if I flash a theme and don't like it? How can I get my old theme back? I'm running EB01 SC 2.9.1.

before flashing a new theme, ALWAYS do a nandriod back-up through CWM. That way if something goes wrong, or you don't like the new theme, you can always just restore the old theme

Reactions: putney1477

cwd500

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
on the va green thread on xda there is a zip for icon docks and wallpapers. it says to unzip and use as you please. what do you do with it once it is unziped?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
on the va green thread on xda there is a zip for icon docks and wallpapers. it says to unzip and use as you please. what do you do with it once it is unziped?

i would think unzip the icons onto your SD card and if you want to use those images for your icons, then you can...

where is this thread? can you post a link?