GPS performance questions

linusan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have been reading up on rooting and installing custom rom. Thanks for everyone sharing valuable information/experiences. I am wondering how well the gps works on SC 2.9.2(or any other latest super clean rom). I was told by a friend that gps is supposed to work better on froyo and wanted to double check before i started to mess around with my phone. Oh, I'm currently just rooted on stock ea28 but no further modification. My gps works fine and i dont want to lose its good performance. Thanks

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I can get the gps to look on in seconds if you turn on the stand alone gps service and the google location services in the location and security menu located in settings. If you try to use the shortcut on the notification bar, it will not work.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have been reading up on rooting and installing custom rom. Thanks for everyone sharing valuable information/experiences. I am wondering how well the gps works on SC 2.9.2(or any other latest super clean rom). I was told by a friend that gps is supposed to work better on froyo and wanted to double check before i started to mess around with my phone. Oh, I'm currently just rooted on stock ea28 but no further modification. My gps works fine and i dont want to lose its good performance. Thanks

I have been on SuperClean since 0.4 and GPS has always been a sore spot for many - (include me).

The option to decrease lock times has been included in 2.9.2 and does work. You do have to have "Google location services" & in some occasions 'Verizon location services' checked in settings > Location & security for it to work properly.

I have been able secure a lock from a cold start in less than 20 seconds.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I only use Google maps to get a GPS lock and whenever I use it I turn on wifi just as Google maps suggests, and I go menu=>settings=>location & security, and have a check in all three location services. If I am indoors, I will get a lock within 20 seconds, outdoors, less than 5. I'm on sc 2.9.2

Bad Bimr

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Running SC2.9.2 NON-Voodoo. My GPS performance is horrible. I was in Baltimore this past Thursday and needed the GPS to find a shortcut to my destination and it took over 5+ mins to find a signal inside the car. I was almost at my destination by the time GPS came on. I enable GPS by through the notification screen. The "Google location services" is always activated. I do not enable the "VZW location services" as from a earlier post I was told this does nothing if your phone is rid of the Verizon bloatware. Other than a horrible battery life, the GPS and bluetooth are the only two things that are not working well on my phone.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Running SC2.9.2 NON-Voodoo. My GPS performance is horrible. I was in Baltimore this past Thursday and needed the GPS to find a shortcut to my destination and it took over 5+ mins to find a signal inside the car. I was almost at my destination by the time GPS came on. I enable GPS by through the notification screen. The "Google location services" is always activated. I do not enable the "VZW location services" as from a earlier post I was told this does nothing if your phone is rid of the Verizon bloatware. Other than a horrible battery life, the GPS and bluetooth are the only two things that are not working well on my phone.

Adrynalyne put the Verizon GPS framework back into superclean, so even he said to get best performance enable all three GPS location services. He also recommended toggling wifi and GPS on and off through the settings instead of the notification bar. So go menu=>settings=>wireless & networking=>wireless settings, turn on wireless, hit back button two times go location & security and put a checkmark in all three location services. Now back out to the home screens and try Google maps and see how quickly you get a lock.

With the new undervolted kernels and the great battery life I get from them I leave a checkmark in Verizon and Google location services and then just check and uncheck standalone GPS service. You will notice turning on and off wifi and the standalone GPS service is what also toggles the icons in the notification bar on and off.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I keep all three checked and my GPS locks pretty quick. I also put a shorcut on screen to go to wireless settings, so far so good with that too.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I too was having some real difficulty with the gps with 2.9.2.nv. I decided to go ahead and flash back to DL09 modem and boom. Within seconds, my navigation locked on and was reading me driving instructions..

You might give it a try...

ps. I am going to see how the DL09 modem fairs against the EB01 modem, battery wise..so keep your eyes peeled for a post in a few days..

Reactions: Landshark

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was out Geocaching (geocaching.com) today and decided to test my expensive Delorme handheld GPS against my Fascinate running 2.9.2.

The fascinate locks in fast, but it takes awhile to settle down and really lock on to the correct coordinates. It eventually gets there, but not as fast as the Delorme. At times, my Delorme will tell me that I am 10 feet from the desired coordinates, while the phone says 50 feet plus. If I stand in one place long enough, it will eventually get real close to the Delorme.

Today I stood still for 10 minutes and watched the two. I am using CGEO for my Geocaching so both GPS' are looking for the same coordinates. While watching my phone, it would be within 5 feet of my Delorme (and the coordinates), then suddenly go to 45 feet to the coordinates. Not good when you're trying to find a small container in a big set of woods.

To conclude, I am not happy with my GPS for Geocaching, yet it does seem to work well with Maps. When I really need the accuracy, it fails me. Now I rely on the Delorme to get me there, and the phone for the needed information and reporting my finds.

Reactions: davey11

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
motoprof,

Thanks for the link to geocaching. Looks like a fun way to use the gps and get excersize. Just signed up and will start doing it.

Only thing I will say is on stock d101 gps was horrendous. 10+ mins to lock.
On dj05 it got way better...maybe under a minute.

Now on froyo, specifically sc 292, where adry has put gps patch in...lock in under 10secs.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been happy with GPS performance since the DJ05 fix. It does seem to be more intolerant to buildings (depending on type/roof height/how many floors), but outside/in my truck it's almost instant. This still holds true with SC 2.9.2.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
motoprof,

Thanks for the link to geocaching. Looks like a fun way to use the gps and get excersize. Just signed up and will start doing it.

Only thing I will say is on stock d101 gps was horrendous. 10+ mins to lock.
On dj05 it got way better...maybe under a minute.

Now on froyo, specifically sc 292, where adry has put gps patch in...lock in under 10secs.

My family and I have a great time geocaching. I have 4 year old twins (and a 22 and 20 year old boys also) and they love to find the treasures. When I had my Blackberry Storm, I used Trimble Outdoors as well as my Delorme GPS. The Storm worked really good and I could find caches easy. Now with the Fascinate, it's a hit or miss thing. I hope you enjoy geocaching as much as we do. :)

skategeezer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Fastest GPS

The fastest GPS lock comes with wait for it....... Vanilla AOSP 9.3 from jt1134. I have flashed them all and it is the fastest.
Also if are using a TW (Touch Wiz) Rom you must enable all location services under settings > My Locations to get it to work correctly. Also some find enabling WiFi helpful as well.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My family and I have a great time geocaching. I have 4 year old twins (and a 22 and 20 year old boys also) and they love to find the treasures. When I had my Blackberry Storm, I used Trimble Outdoors as well as my Delorme GPS. The Storm worked really good and I could find caches easy. Now with the Fascinate, it's a hit or miss thing. I hope you enjoy geocaching as much as we do. :)

What the elf is geocaching?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hope this is not getting too far off topic, but we are talking gps.

I am my first geocache quest in Hawaii Volcanoes natl park. Strange how you can be in the boonies, use gps, and tapatalk and post in the forums.

Talk about addiction lol :p

This message was sent via Tapatalk

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hope this is not getting too far off topic, but we are talking gps.

I am my first geocache quest in Hawaii Volcanoes natl park. Strange how you can be in the boonies, use gps, and tapatalk and post in the forums.

Talk about addiction lol :p

This message was sent via Tapatalk

Well Davey11, while you are basking in the warmth of Hawaii :), my Fascinate GPS got me lost and stuck in upsate NY :mad: and it's snowing outside as I type on the phone:confused:. Hope you have fun with your new sport of Geocaching. Look me up on the site at motoprof

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been happy with GPS performance since the DJ05 fix. It does seem to be more intolerant to buildings (depending on type/roof height/how many floors), but outside/in my truck it's almost instant. This still holds true with SC 2.9.2.

So you are on DJ05? Never upgraded to EB01/EB16/EC10/EA28?

My GPS is not "instant" but definitely faster than stock; I'm using EC10.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
My GPS has good and bad days. The other day I swear it took like 3 minutes or something, then other days, locks in immediately. I do turn off the GPS a lot and then move to different locations and then turn it back on, so maybe just trying to get a new location lock after a cold start is the issue (where it's trying to get ephemeris data and maybe that's slow to get to the phone). Or something else entirely. Who knows. I like to think my Sammy Fascinate is like a hot chick who goes through her "cycles".... :)