2GB of "Internal Storage" - Available for application storage, or not?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The title says it all. What is the 2GB of Internal storage for exactly? Is that space to store downloaded apps?

I have heard conflicting answers. I am trying to find out how much room this phone actually has to store apps. I know 2.2 is coming, and I know some apps can then be moved to the SD card. Even so, the more space the better for me, as I have lots of apps on my Droid 1 and seem to always run low on space (even with 2.2, since 90% of my apps can't yet move to the SD card).

If anyone has definitive knowledge of this, please let me know. Thanks!

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The title says it all. What is the 2GB of Internal storage for exactly? Is that space to store downloaded apps?

I have heard conflicting answers. I am trying to find out how much room this phone actually has to store apps. I know 2.2 is coming, and I know some apps can then be moved to the SD card. Even so, the more space the better for me, as I have lots of apps on my Droid 1 and seem to always run low on space (even with 2.2, since 90% of my apps can't yet move to the SD card).

If anyone has definitive knowledge of this, please let me know. Thanks!

Android can use storage memory for apps if your root the device, or when the device gets a Froyo 2.2 update. So Stock, this memory is not for apps, but it will usable that way pretty quickly. So the 2 gb internal, or 16 gb SD Card could be for apps.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I still can't get over this 2gb thing why not 8 but two that's crazy the gsm versions have 16 why would I buy the fascinate with 2gb bing search maps

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I still can't get over this 2gb thing why not 8 but two that's crazy the gsm versions have 16 why would I buy the fascinate with 2gb bing search maps

Look at it this way. The Fascinate has 18 total GB of storage/app space once rooted or froyo drops. That is pretty equivilant to anything else out there. I don't think android makes any distiction between internal or SD space for apps.

This might actually be a better config as you could go to a 32 gb card and not have 8gb sitting empty. Besides you probably couldn't full the 2GB internal memory with apps if you tried.

I think once froyo drops you'll have 512 RAM, 2gb internal or app memory and 16 gb or storage.

That's pretty good in my book. (looks sideways at the unusable 1gb of internal storage memory on my S1)

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I always keep media on the removable storage. It comes in handy when I want to load a bunch of music or movies at one time. Also if I happen to break this phone and have to buy a cheap BB off eBay, I have the ability to pop in the mircosd card from my broken phone. If the memory wasn't removable I'd lose it all.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The SD card can't be used for widgets though. Any app that is using a widget will need to be loaded into internal memory.

How does the Fascinate compare to the original Droid? I have not had any issues with it when it comes to app but the X has a lot more internal memory.

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The SD card can't be used for widgets though.

I didn't realize that. Maybe Froyo will fix that. This will be my first Android, but I don't expect I'll be too keen on widgets. If I could have my way I'd not have a home screen at all launch straight into the home screen.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I am running 2.2 via the Sapphire rom on my rooted D1. I have been on 2.2 for months and from what I have read, widgets need to be in the phone memory. Normal apps can be located on the SD card.

Widgets are what make Android different than the BB or Iphone, IMO. I love having my 5 home screens with my weather forecast, calander, agenda and email viewer among other things right there on my screen. If the Fascinate is better than the D1 in memory, than it should not be a big deal for me. I have seen screen shots that have more widgets than I do though.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
except i have 3gb of apps on my d2 now. in no way am i saying this will be a bad phone i just dont like that this phone has been gimped by vzw, and think of it this way when i used the vibrant for 1 day before i decided that tmo coverage was crap i had 28 gigs or so of usable space 32 total this is quite a bit lower. i really want to love this phone the specs could be all their but vzw sucks if its not a droid device

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. 2 more questions then:

(1) How much app memory (non-rooted) exactly does the Fascinate have out of the box?

(2) When Froyo arrives, does that internal 2GB automatically get recognized as available app storage space, or are there additional adjustments / settings updates needed to see the 2Gb ..

Thanks,
Don

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Think it will be around 256mb stock pre 2.2. Post 2.2 you can move any app that allows you to move it onto the sdcard as they said before apps with widgets shouldn't be moved or the widget will mess up.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Jiminy Christmas, *only* 384 MB of system ram? It wasn't so long ago that it was typical for a full size desktop to not have that much ram... Boy do I feel old.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Trust me it probably has 512 ram 2.1 had a bug with ram and couldn't access 512. I don't see them just cutting the ram in this phone down it would be too expensive to manufacture. Their already cutting then internal flash memory

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully that's the case and 2.2 will allow the full ram, would hate to thinckthey short changed such a good phone

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Me also this phone has such great specs its not funny but with that said I will probably pass on this phone I really want a phone with a ffc just wish vzw would have delivered that

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Regarding my original question of the amount of space allotted for apps on the Fascinate: check out the screen cap in this article (which by the way nicely details actual RAM amounts appearing to be 512Mb BTW). Notice that one of the screen shots - pictured below - has listed 1.5GB of available space for "program".

Wouldn't this in fact indicate 1.55GB is alloted to app storage for the Fascinate? It would seem so ...

fascinate-ram1.png

Last edited:

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That would make sense if it's allocating and setting aside memory for the GPU. Same thing happens with pc's that have integrated video. It may physically have a total of X ram but you only see Y amount available b/c it does count what's been set aside for the GPU.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana