Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I think this is important enough that it warrants a new thread. If you want to discuss your hate or love for Bing, please sound off in this thread, not this one. The purpose of this thread is to try and clarify what the impact of Bing is on the Fascinate.

Here are the facts as we know them.

Search Functionality:

* The Bing application is pre-installed on the Fascinate. When you press the capacitive search button on the Fascinate, the Bing application will present a search window. The results of this search will be returned by Bing, not Google.

* When you press and hold the capacitive search button, the Bing application will present a Voice Search dialog box. The results of this search will also be returned by Bing instead of Google.

* There is a Bing widget available for the homescreen. When you enter text in this widget and click the search button, the Bing app will open with a list of search results. This widget can be removed from the homescreen.

All of the above points are of the greatest concern, because out of the box, there is no quick and easy solution for switching all of the above functions, that Bing is handling, back to Google.

Workarounds:

* The Google Search app is not available in the Market & even though it is showing up as a widget option in Launcher Pro, the search results are still returned by the Bing app. As a workaround, you can place a shortcut on your homescreen that launches Google Search in a browser.

* You can still download, install, and use Google Voice Search, in the market.

* Check out Vlingo.

Maps/Navigation:

* Google Maps with Navigation is not installed on the Fascinate. Bing & VZ Navigator are the applications Verizon chose to replace these 2 apps.

* However, Google Maps with Navigation is available in the markethttp://www.appbrain.com/app/com.google.android.apps.maps. This means that you do not have to use the Bing application (which lacks voice turn-by-turn directions) to Navigate anywhere. When you click on someones address in your contact list, or click on an address in the web browser, you will have the option of using Google Maps with Nav to complete the action.

* This will all be fixed soon! Unlike hardware, software can always be changed.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Post # 1 has been updated. I mistakenly posted that Google Maps and Navigation were 2 distinct apps. Navigation is actually included as part of the Maps app.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Question about Google maps / navigation. Once you download Google maps, can it be set as the default when you click an address in contacts etc?

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
Maps was my biggest concern. I don't even use the Search widget or the search button on my Android phones. I just open the browser and go to Google. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way. :)

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
launcher pro plus non stock browser resolves Bing as default search.

Hardware capacitive buttons are still set for bing though.

gar1t

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
From that announcement:

"Though the Android 2.2 update will allow Fascinate users to download, install, and use Google Search, Google Search will not replace Bing as the main search engine that launches when the "Search" button is pressed. That button will always launch Bing, even after Google Search is installed."

For my tastes, this is big blow to the functionality of this terrific phone. Bing just isn't anywhere near as good as Google, IMO. And the dedicated search button is one of the features that makes Android great. Ick.

Under such trying circumstances, it might help to find the humor in it all.

Video parody of this topic

WARNING: Video contains NSFW language.

Last edited:

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
Those looking for a quick workaround, just change the browser's home page to Google. Then you're 1 click away, depending on where you put the browser icon.

I know it's not the same as pressing the search button, but that's the best we can do until Verizon gets the hint or Google stands up to Big Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie