The waterfall effect of tinkering

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems every time I modify anything on this phone, what I do has a ripple effect. If I fix one thing, I seem to break something else. I had to un sync my facebook contacts to resolve one issue, but when I re synced, it broke my launcher pro calendar widget. Now all of the entries that were in there before from fb have duplicated.

I tried deleting the widget from that particular screen, but the duplication is still there when I reload it. I also tried clearing my lp cache. No good either. Any help for my noobish problems will be appreciated.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
You could try making a backup of your LP settings, uninstall LP, then re-install, then import your settings again. It sounds like it's making use of a database that has duplicate entries in it.

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding Cory,

I'm new to android, so I'm not sure how to go about backing up LP. That aside, let me give you the full story of how I ended up at this point. It might help. This was all pre-LP by the way.

It all started with me wanting to link my facebook and phonebook contacts. The desired end I was shooting for was having phonebook contacts with the images from those friends' facebook pages. I originally couldnt figure out how to sync, so what I did was give a few of my contacts pictures manually. I made a non-public album on FB, uploaded pictures, then went in and "set as" for the people I wanted images for.

Then the other day I figured out how to do the "add friends" part of syncing FB and my phonebook contacts. At first all of the pictures synced right up, I linked the profiles that had differing names, and everything was as it should have been. Then I had my phone glitch out on me (specifically, the messaging icon in the dock started opening games, apps, things other than messaging), so I turned the phone off, then on.

The result of that was, the contacts that I had done the "set as" picture assignment had reverted back to those images (as opposed to the current FB profile picture for those people.) This is what lead me to removing my Facebook account from the phone in the accounts and sync menu. Almost immediately before this, I had been messing with the LP calendar widget. After I re-synced FB, re added the friends and linked contacts I noticed the double entries.

Sorry about the wall of text. How do I make the contact profiles stop reverting back to those "other" (non-current FB profile) pictures? That's really what I was trying to accomplish. Getting the calendar straightened will also be good because I'd actually like to use it. :)

Thanks!

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ha, yeah I understand that part of how Android is so awesome is from this interconnection between data and apps and the OS. I also see how that is a dual edged sword when you're trying to make changes. I just want to know how to tame the beast so the phone does what I want.

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to fix those stubborn contact images, so that isnt a problem anymore. I finally just went through the calendar and deleted all of the duplicate entries. I did notice that the LP widget is simply a mirror of the calendar that comes on the fascinate, so it too had the duplicates. I dont know what would have fixed it otherwise, but this works for now.

DevD

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe it's a bug with Google Calendar. I had the exact same duplication issue after installing the Jorte widget, which pulls info from the Google Calendar. And it wasn't exactly duplication. It just set the start / end times for events from 11am day one to 11am day two, so every event traversed two days and looked like two of the same events.