Samsung >> Verizon Wireless >> Black screen

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
HELP MEEEEEE! Samsung >> Verizon Wireless >> Black screen

Was reading on the Kindle app laying in bed then my phone suddenly turned off. Now when I do a battery pull and reboot it doesn't get past the Verizon splash screen, just turns black. The only thing I can think of is that the Verizon update popped up for me for the first time earlier this evening, but I thought I refused it (clicked cancel and such). Would it just have gone through in the background later?

So...options?

How does that 30 day policy everyone talks about work? Can I just walk in and get a new one?

I had rooted using the Mac video tutorial and had the one click lag fix, , I changed the names of the recommended apk's to ".old" I didn't have clockworkmod.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ortie001

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I just walked in with mine when it did almost the same thing after the update (mine was stuck rebooting for a few hours) and the guy tried to do a factory reset. It just kept rebooting, so he went and grabbed me a new phone.

Ivisi

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
The 30 day policy is a satisfaction guarantee, meaning if you don't like the phone and want to swap for a different model, or even return it for a refund, you have 30 days to do so. After 30 days, you are locked into that model until the end of your contract, unless you opt to pay full retail price for a new phone within that period.

The phone itself, though, should have a full year warranty. If the phone breaks, through *no fault of your own, they will replace it. Walk into the store, and have the sales staff take a look at it. This being such a new phone, they will more than likely replace it with another unit off of the shelf. Fast forward a few months, and they may have you call the customer service number to request a refurbished unit as a replacement.

Ivisi

*no 'provable' fault of your own :)

shanky

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If this were on a Windows machine, I'd say use Odin to reset the radio to stock. There's another thread in this forum, as well as xda developers, documenting how to do this.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
MOTHER @#*%&^%#

I know what it is, never would have guessed. The extended controls widget, when I adjust the brightness, it makes the screen go out. This is what happened yesterday but I had no idea adjusting the brightness could possibly do this. Now I'm back to black screen after splash on the new phone.

So, can some kind soul take pity on me and give me some ideas? Maybe walk me through uninstalling this via my Mac and terminal? Then rebooting via the volume/power buttons?

I can't believe it did this **** again.

It's alive under there - I can hear the charge noise when I plug it in. I guess there's something in the code for that widget that makes the screen go totally black when you adjust brightness.

Edit: I'm not going to be able to access via the computer without checking off debugging or something am I (which I can't accomplish because the screen is black)? Is my only option to click factory reset on the reboot screen?

The screen even turns on when the phone rings but I can't answer it :( then it goes back off when I press anything.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and hard reset it. You can recover from a hard reset in less than 30 minutes. If you can't get past the Samsung/Verizon splash screen, you can't connect via adb to remove the file anyway.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You mean hold down volume+power then click "wipe data/factory reset?" What exactly will happen? It'll be like it came out of the box?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes to both questions, but you will still be rooted and your lag fix hack will still be there. Although, that lag fix seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I got a new phone earlier, no root or lag fix :) Which made me doubly upset when it went black again, lol.

By some miracle, I plugged it into my computer via usb and for reasons I don't understand at all, it came to life JUST long enough for me to click the Market and uninstall that damned app. Then it took a **** again. Pulled the battery, rebooted a couple of times...and I think I'm functional.

Unbelievable.

This is a pretty well regarded app, even cost me a buck.

Sorry to waste your time, I really appreciate it.