Anyone else thinking about switching to the Thunderbolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the fascinate from another line's upgrade, and have my contract ending in March. Just saw the unboxing video of the Thunderbolt and that is one sweet phone! Not to menton HTC might actually keep up with the potential upgrades for their phone unlike Samsung.

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship?

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt was what I was waiting to upgrade to, but I never liked the 4.3 inch screen on my friends EVO so I decided against it once I saw this had the same. A little disappointing but the fascinate was my next choice and I never looked back. 4inch screen is absolutely PERFECT.

Plus 4g just doesn't seem worth the extra $ per month.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to the fascinate from another line's upgrade, and have my contract ending in March. Just saw the unboxing video of the Thunderbolt and that is one sweet phone! Not to menton HTC might actually keep up with the potential upgrades for their phone unlike Samsung.

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship?

To be honest if you want another $200 fascinate, rock on. It's not enough of a hardware/performance upgrade for me to even think about it. The droid bionic is honestly a little anemic on specs for me to dump another $200 (or less if you're savvy). I would also definitely want to wait and see if it gets as bad of battery life as the incredible. LOL as I think about it I become more and more reserved about the jump. It's the first in a new breed, but it's the same hardware wise as most of what's available. I think I would wait for this generation to be proven on battery life, as well as price tag. Should be interesting to see it all play out.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
yea i think that 4.0 is the right size not to big not to small its just right. anyways i am in a contract so i wont be able to get a new phone till next year so i am sure there will be awsome ones out by then. ijust hope they have unlimited data still... not to sure have been hearing stuff that vzw is getting rid of it but not sure if thats just for the **i*phone

jtbledo85

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Iam content with the fascinate & X and pluse it would b kinda useless without lte .. Don't come to my area for prolly another 2 years

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What you guys wearing lather pants or something? Who can't fit 4.3" in their pockets? LOL I hope none of you literally mean that. Trust me in this case size does matter and only reason I have MT4G atm now due to HD2 being stolen.

I paid $750 just to get the unlocked Leo1024 4months before it officially came out in USA. Before that type of screen size was unheard of. But hey once you get that much space widget never becomes problem in screen real state.

ATM there are no other 4.3" pure decent GSM phone in the market. DHD < no US-3G support as EU model. Don't bring those panzy Samsung device like Vibrant they don't count other than paperweight. So this is the reason I like TB so much its CMDA's version of DHD.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in the Thunderbolt. I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my fascinate...unreliable email, unreliable notifications...unable to hang up calls at times, freezing. I keep trying to be patient for Froyo which everyone says isn't that big of an upgrade, but the little things the Fascinate does NOT do are what bug me. Such as pause audio when a notification comes in. Or the ability to actually, truly lock my phone for security reasons. Or get facebook push notifications...not to mention the apps out there now I'm interested in that only run on froyo.

For me, rooting my phone isn't an option. I can't get my work email if my phone is rooted. So I can't play with all the different roms and kernels to get my Fascinate working like it should have from day one.

Having said all that, I'm not happy the Thunderbolt is a 4.3 inch screen. I do think the 4 inch Fascinate screen is the "sweet spot". And I'm very concerned about battery. So while I am very interested, it's definitely going to be a case of I have to see it in person and hear what is going on with the battery first.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been seriously considering this for the past couple weeks. I tweeted black_man_x about it and he tells me to jump to the TBolt. It would mean going back to my Storm for a few weeks, and after having Android that will be like running a marathon in tar.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been seriously considering this for the past couple weeks. I tweeted black_man_x about it and he tells me to jump to the TBolt. It would mean going back to my Storm for a few weeks, and after having Android that will be like running a marathon in tar.
So he is recommending the tbolt over sticking it out with the fascinate? Interesting but I thought someone said he had tweeted not so good battery?

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This looks like an awesome phone and if I had not gotten my fascinate last month I might consider it. HTC makes great phones, but I'm just wondering about the battery life since HTC is not known for having good battery life.

Azartrus

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I Was in the same boat at first but I choose the fascinate for several reasons. First and foremost has anyone seen the data pricing plans for the lte phones... They start at 50$ minimum and right now that is about the cost of cable internet at home. I just can't justify the extra money for a capped amount of data usage. My second reason I choose the fascinate is that I would rather have the latest and greatest in the older technology rather than 1.0 in the new lte service. As the lte becomes the norm and prices fall I will make the switch but I don't see that happening for another year.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The TB might only have a screen size of .3 inches more, but overall the phone is a lot bigger compared to the Fascinate. The EVO did not fit well in my pocket like this phone does. I had some hands on time at CES with the TB and it's pretty much the same. Size 30 waist here and although I don't wear lether pants, I do wear jeans that fit me :p

Also, I think the screen technologies are also significantly different; the Fascinate being better. That said, if anyone is at all interested in the TB, and what I said doesn't matter to you, I think the TB will he great. I will probably get one because that's what I do.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been contemplating it a lot, but like I said over in the Thunderbolt forums, the closest market to me which is going to have 4G for now is New York City, which is roughly 3 hours away. If Verizon is going to jack up the price of LTE compared to 3G, it just won't be worth it to me.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Fascinate is a rad phone. 4 inch screen is perfect and the samoled is awesome (I'm also a fan of the slab style). Almost switched over from the dinc (and still might).
That said, i'm waiting to see what the lte rates are gonna be, what the battery life is like, and so on for the thunderbolt, which looked really good in that hands on that came out the other day (see tbolt forums).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty