Fascinate not mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andcircuit

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
So for a few weeks now I'm suddenly unable to mount my SD card on my Fascinate. I even tried on another computer, tried another usb cable, called Verizon talked for an hour and they sent me a replacement. However, its still not mounting. Before I give up, I thought I could post this here. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So for a few weeks now I'm suddenly unable to mount my SD card on my Fascinate. I even tried on another computer, tried another usb cable, called Verizon talked for an hour and they sent me a replacement. However, its still not mounting. Before I give up, I thought I could post this here. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks.

This is a notorious DL09 bug,, pretty much verizions doing

throw your phone in debugging mode,,, with the phone still plugged in , shut it down and restart it.. let it load up and try to mount it again....if it doesnt mount, unplug it then plug it back in again,,,if this doesnt work you will need to try different drivers......

Samsung

click software and try different drivers, using the process above

Reactions: Bond32 and yksotal

andcircuit

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

throw your phone in debugging mode,,, with the phone still plugged in , shut it down and restart it.. let it load up and try to mount it again....if it doesnt mount, unplug it then plug it back in again,,,if this doesnt work you will need to try different drivers......

Samsung

click software and try different drivers, using the process above

Thanks, I tried those steps. Stil didn't work. Unfortunately, for the last step, I'm on a Mac and these drivers only work for PC's.

Gnomad

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
To mount to a Mac follow these steps:
First open Terminal, then type in "gpt show /dev/disk1" without the quotes. Plug in your phone, go through the steps to get to the point that you get Disk insertion error. Select "Ignore" then unmount the card then remount it. Then in the Terminal hit Enter to run the "gpt show /dev/disk1 command". You may have to run the command more than once. It should recognize your card at that point. Depending on your Mac setup the disk may be something other than /dev/disk1, so you may have to try possibly up to /dev/disk5.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
First open Terminal, then type in "gpt show /dev/disk1" without the quotes. Plug in your phone, go through the steps to get to the point that you get Disk insertion error. Select "Ignore" then unmount the card then remount it. Then in the Terminal hit Enter to run the "gpt show /dev/disk1 command". You may have to run the command more than once. It should recognize your card at that point. Depending on your Mac setup the disk may be something other than /dev/disk1, so you may have to try possibly up to /dev/disk5.

wow so helpful on your First post,,, Welcome to Android Central.

Reactions: yksotal

yksotal

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Was having same problem and shut down while plugged in an when restart pc installed drivers and recognized phone. Thanks

geosnipe

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

throw your phone in debugging mode,,, with the phone still plugged in , shut it down and restart it.. let it load up and try to mount it again....if it doesnt mount, unplug it then plug it back in again,,,if this doesnt work you will need to try different drivers.....Quote by droidxcon.

I have had better luck using these samsung drivers along w/occasional reboot:

SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86 v1.3.450.0

contact me for package, i will give you timed guest access to my WHS for file copy if you are unable to find it easily.

andcircuit

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! What I'm trying to do is root it, but I'm still finding that when rooting its not seeing the device, even though it finally showed up in my finder. Perhaps I'm just not ment to root my phone.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried this method and it worked great. I only had to try 2 times to get the correct disk.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gnomad, you are the man. My mac running 10.4.11 is now loading the drive like it used to before Verizon screwed it up. Thank you very much for this info.

Again, YOU ARE THE MAN.

SIN

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Finally...

...a temporary solution to the problem. I followed the above instructions and was actually able to get music onto my phone! I unplugged and replugged...and it seems like this procedure will have to be done each time the phone is plugged in. A pain but as long as it works...
So my hat is off to you Gnomad! Thank you so much for the tip! Now if Verizon/Samsung can fix this issue all together...
-SIN-

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just when I thought I had it figured out, it will not work again. Damn you Verizon and Samsung.

Last edited:

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My conversation with Samsung (knowing full well they will not help) went like this.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Alexander '

Alexander : Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Ever since Verizon updated to DL09, my computer will not recognize my phone when I plug it into my usb. I have a mac running 10.4.11 and it worked great the day before the upgrade.

Alexander : I understand that you are unable to connect the phone to MAC. Am I correct?

Visitor: Yes, but I was BEFORE the upgrade

Alexander : Thank you for the confirmation.

Alexander : Let me know are you getting any error messages on your MAC?

Visitor: Yes "Disk Insertion The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Then I have to choose between Ignore or Eject

Alexander : Thanks.

Alexander : Let me check information on your request.

Alexander : We do not support MAC devices, as we are not trained on the MAC. How ever I suggest you perform soft reset and try to connect the phone.

Alexander : Please perform a soft reset on the phone.

Alexander : 1. Turn off the handset.

Alexander : 2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.

Alexander : 3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.

Visitor: Tried all of that. Please do not take this personal, but Samsung and Verizon messed with with this update by making my phone sd card not accessible to me anymore. I would have NEVER bought this phone if I knew that I could not access the sd card like I did when I owned my Blackberry Storm. I use the sd card for storing important work information and now I cannot get at it.

Alexander : I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Alexander : I suggest you mount the SD card and check if the issue still persists.

Visitor: I used my phone sd card everyday UNTIL the day after the upgrade. This problem has been talked about on all of the Fascinate forums and the problem is with Windows and Mac computers. Please tell whomever placed this problem in my phone software that it is causing their customers undo hardships and is not a very good way to keep customers coming back. You cannot imagine the problems this update has caused me and others. It makes me want to go to a different brand phone.

Alexander : I once again apologize, I suggest you contact the phone support for further assistance on the issue. This is a toll free number You can contact our dedicated Galaxy voice support team at 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252).

Visitor: Thank you. I will call them. Bye

Haha. I'm having a little fun with them at this point because I know they cannot help me so I call the phone number. The first operator tells me what to do. I say "I know, I tried all that. It's a screw up by Samsung and has caused me a lot of aggravation." They pass me on to a level three tech guy and he tells me to try a few things. I tell him that I tried all those things and he finally tells me that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.

"When will you have a solution?"
"I don't know but I apologize for any inconvenience and understand your frustration"
"I should have kept my blackberry. If I had known that I could not access my sd card, I would have never bought this phone. Your programmers are doing a very good job of driving their customers away and back to Apple or Blackberry"

After that, I pretty much smiled and hung up.

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
the release definitely fixed the GPS issue for me - it looks in very accurately very quickly now, so that's great, but not being able to mount on the Mac takes away alot of what I got a smartphone for in the 1st place. Does missing this feature trigger the warranty?

zorbs99

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
! I was sold a Samsung Droid i500 Galaxy phone by a Verizon wireless store . I was told that it would work with Apple Mac. I was able to sync my phone with my Mac comuter for a few weeks, and then it no longer would snyc.
I called Verizon support and they were unable to help me, they sent me to Samsung. At Samsung I went through tear 1, tear 2, and then tear 3 support. I was told by a advanced tech support rep at Samsung that after Verizon Wireless sent a "media manager" update through the phones they NO LONGER ARE COMPATABLE WITH APPLE! . I have been through many phone calls with Samsung and Verizon wireless and have received no call backs or help. They have no answer. I even had one Verizon rep laughing at me and thought it funny because he said he hears that all the time with no call backs! I am furious that I paid $300 for this Droid phone and was told it would be compatible with my computer and now its not after 2 months!
The Samsung tech support told me that he doesnt see the Droid working with Apple again now that they have the iphone. He said that they have been telling verizon about this for a while and nothing has been done.
I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau since Verizon cannot help me.

zorbs99

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
MOTOPROOF, I have the same problem. Verizon and Samsung cannot help. Its ammazing how they dont care. I filed a complaint with Better business bureau yesterday...there is a selection for phone carriers. I suggest you do the same. Also go to the verizon website and go to customer service and send an email. What sucks is not sure if better business bureau will do anything. I am awaiting to hear from Verizons 24 hr reply customer service. No answer in the next few days then I am taking the next step to a buddy of mine...to the news media. Phone carriers dont give a crap about anybody. And I am tired of it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure its verizons doing. Because alot of people who accept the verizon software magically can connect their phones easily,,,,,, and the BBB isn't a consumer police, they just make public complaints and results of complaints and give companies ratings based on results and if the company pays them
MOTOPROOF, I have the same problem. Verizon and Samsung cannot help. Its ammazing how they dont care. I filed a complaint with Better business bureau yesterday...there is a selection for phone carriers. I suggest you do the same. Also go to the verizon website and go to customer service and send an email. What sucks is not sure if better business bureau will do anything. I am awaiting to hear from Verizons 24 hr reply customer service. No answer in the next few days then I am taking the next step to a buddy of mine...to the news media. Phone carriers dont give a crap about anybody. And I am tired of it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38