Ghost Armor Carbon Fiber and Screen Protector Review

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO The carbon fiber cuts look like crap. Should be more precise. And the square cut out for Samsung on the back looks horrid.

Honestly i would just rather order this Carbon Fiber Film | Dedicated To Selling 3M Carbon Fiber DI-NOC Vinyl and make up some templates with more precise cuts around the buttons and what not and cut it out with a xacto.

Foo, I disagree completely. I just got the black and its awesome. If I find my camera ill post some pics

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What's the screen feel like? I may take a drive to a nearby Kiosk to see if I can feel a sample. If it's better than my Zagg shield on the Dinc, I may take the plunge.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Foo, I disagree completely. I just got the black and its awesome. If I find my camera ill post some pics

From the pics i seen it likes like some kid in china cut it out by hand. Wouldn't be bad if the cuts were more precise and closer to the spot they were cut out for. and if they did not cut out a spot for the Samsung. From what i seen it screams ebay skin i got free with my case.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
From the pics i seen it likes like some kid in china cut it out by hand. Wouldn't be bad if the cuts were more precise and closer to the spot they were cut out for. and if they did not cut out a spot for the Samsung. From what i seen it screams ebay skin i got free with my case.

Hate to say this, but I agree. I think with other like cases (Zagg comes to mind), you don't see that effect as much because the case is clear. With this, it's fairly noticeable. That being said, different strokes so I'm not going to chastise/say it's objectively ugly. I just know I don't prefer it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I took the Ghost armor back off. It never cleared up. I don't blame the Ghost armor, it is probably me not being able to install it correctly. I went to Best buy and a cute girl installed the Zagg for me and, it looks better than anything I've ever installed. It was well worth it and, the orange peel look never bothered me as much as it does some people (especially when it's installed as well like she did it).

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
that sucks. Sorry it didn't work out. I had mine installed at a kiosk in the mall. Normally with screen protectors I don't like to install it myself.

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Here are some shots of my phone wit hthe Black carbon fiber skin and the screen protector from Ghost Armor. This was installed by someone working at the kiosk in my local mall. My phone has the extended battery and the extended battery back plate. For those of you who would liek to know, these shots were taken with a 60mm macro lens on my bed with the sheets stripped which gives it that white box look.

TOP OF THE PHONE

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

IMG_9243.jpg

This is the screen protector 1 day after installation. As you can see it has lines that run down the phones length. I cannot feel these under my finger, nor are then noticed when I am using my phone. The only time i see them is when i hold my phone just right in the light and look for them.

Some quick comments on the screen protector: I like it better than Zagg's invisible shield because it feels smoother and my finger doesn't stick to it as much. Response is just as good as iff you were touching glass. I have tested it by just barely resting my finger on the phone and moving it and the phone still responds. Its not glass but its da*n close. I can feel my finger resist sliding around slightly more than when its just the glass but it has improved since the protector was first installed so i'm hoping in a couple of days that disappears completely.

IMG_9256.jpg

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
BOTTOM OF THE PHONE (or back)

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

I love the look of carbon fiber. This skin is very thin and does not increase the size of the phone. I am still able to put it in a case when I go out to do physical activity and then remove it when I come back. The section that covers the back plate is not quite perfect but i believe that is due to the extended battery. Nothing is obstructed on the phone.

IMG_9255.jpg

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
CLOSE UP

As you can see the screen protector is very thin.

IMG_9247.jpg

The skin is nice and flat around edges corners and curves

IMG_9248.jpg

This shows you how thin the skin is

IMG_9253.jpg

Even though I have the extended battery, the skin still fits nicely around the camera in the back

IMG_9254.jpg

Final thoughts:

I really do like the skin and the screen protector although I would not have installed it my self. I always go to kiosks because the workers there install tons of skins and protectors every day. Also for warranty the worker took down my info and said that if I ever need anything fixed I just have to go in to the kiosk with the old material and phone and they will re install and replace whatever I need for a 5 dollar service fee. I don't need a receipt since they stored my purchase info on a computer.

I can post high res pics if anyone wants to see them.

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Innaresting! How's the feel? Very rubbery? It's thinness should help in that regard, I reckon.

The screen protector feels like latex but barely. The Carbon Fiber feels like tightly woven fiber lol. Kinda has a cloth feel to it but you can feel where the fibers change direction.

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea its real carbon fiber. Im pretty sure (If I remember correctly when I was looking around for carbon fiber kits for my car) that different color "carbon fiber" is made of different material. I think black is the only "carbon fiber" that is made out of actual carbon fiber while the other colors are made out of a different type of fiber and/or colored fiber glass. IM not sure if this is true though so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea its real carbon fiber. Im pretty sure (If I remember correctly when I was looking around for carbon fiber kits for my car) that different color "carbon fiber" is made of different material. I think black is the only "carbon fiber" that is made out of actual carbon fiber while the other colors are made out of a different type of fiber and/or colored fiber glass. IM not sure if this is true though so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

What type of protection do they guarantee with it? I presume not much impact resistance. Still, very neat. Thanks for the pics! I may swing by my local kiosk in the AM to see if they can sell me on a screen protector.

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
No impact resistance, which is why I like that its still thin enough to fit in any case. It protects against scuffing, scratches, etc.

Kancerstick

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
i really dont like how it doesnt completely cover the bottom of the phone, that part is the easiest to get scratched due to plugging in chargers and aux cables... Ive already scratched mine twice just from pluggin in my aux cable in my car

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
CLOSE UP

As you can see the screen protector is very thin.

Click to view quoted image

The skin is nice and flat around edges corners and curves

This shows you how thin the skin is

Even though I have the extended battery, the skin still fits nicely around the camera in the back

Final thoughts:

I really do like the skin and the screen protector although I would not have installed it my self. I always go to kiosks because the workers there install tons of skins and protectors every day. Also for warranty the worker took down my info and said that if I ever need anything fixed I just have to go in to the kiosk with the old material and phone and they will re install and replace whatever I need for a 5 dollar service fee. I don't need a receipt since they stored my purchase info on a computer.

I can post high res pics if anyone wants to see them.

It looks like they did a good job. When I tried installing the ghost armor myself it had those streaks in it like yours but much worse and, they hadn't gone away after a couple of days. I did a good job with the Ghost Armor on my ipad 2 but, couldn't get it right on the Gnex for some reason.

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This is not real carbon fiber. Its vinyl thats been pressed to have a texture similar to carbon fiber. Corban, your install looks very good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty